Some Terran Questions

M

moggle45

When people say tvt, tvz, and micro manage what do they mean? Some guy was saying that a stimmed Marine is better than a Goliath vs a Mutalisk because the Marine and Mutalisk are both small units. Do things like size of units actually matter in battle?

And a couple of questions about Terran. How do you defend yourself from another Terran player that has Sieged Siege Tanks and Marines / Goliaths protecting the tanks?

I know of some tricks like using an air unit / building to further the range of tanks. Can you please tell me other good tricks / tech?

Thankyou for you time.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
tvt=Terran vs Terran
TvZ=Terran vs Zerg

rest i need to brush up on my damage scale

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by moggle45
When people say tvt, tvz, and micro manage what do they mean? Some guy was saying that a stimmed Marine is better than a Goliath vs a Mutalisk because the Marine and Mutalisk are both small units. Do things like size of units actually matter in battle?

And a couple of questions about Terran. How do you defend yourself from another Terran player that has Sieged Siege Tanks and Marines / Goliaths protecting the tanks?

I know of some tricks like using an air unit / building to further the range of tanks. Can you please tell me other good tricks / tech?

Thankyou for you time.
By micro management I think they mean hotkeys, but don't quote me.

Yes, a single stimmed marine does faster damage than a goliath. Goliath's damage type is explosive and mutas are small so mutas take only half the damage dished out by goliaths.

There are about 3 damage types: explosive(50% to small units, 75% to medium units and 100% to large units), concussive(100% to small units, 50% to medium units and 25% to large units) and then there's normal which does normal damage to everything minus any armor/shield upgrades. So yes, size in battles do matter. Splash is a another, but I'm not sure how that works.

As for fighting off goliath/tank in tvt, I guess fighting fire with fire, but you're gonna need those BCs, unfortanely since this type of battle usually ends in a stand off. TvT is one of more frustrating matchups for terran.

As for the rest of it, well, I don't play terran that much so I really don't many, if any, good tricks you can do. Besides, it varies depending on what race you're playing against.

Here's the run down(being vague)
tvp: vulture/tank, keep toss from expanding or you'll wish you had.
tvt: tank/goliath eventually BCs. You can deviate from this from this, but you'll generally want to stick with it.
tvz: m&m/tank/ SV for irradiate.

Reaction score
i will say this terrans units that are stimmed can rack up 30 kills in about five minutes trust me my friends decimate my by this in b©net

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
micro manage means controling what you have at the best you can do.

goliath and marine are both good vs muta, if u have seen tvz on char you would think the other way of marine vs muta and goliath vs muta

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Not only do goliaths suck vs mutas but they suck vs zerg, period. Don't take it personally that some ran strats suck even though you don't want to accept it.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com

TvT= Nuke is always good
TvZ= M&M and tanks
TVP= Same as zerg.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by CuteGuyNo.1
wcg 2003 replays on leagacy of char TvZ, watch how metal terran defeat zerg combos
Metal sucks versus zerg. Accept it. For every one replay you show where terran goes metal, I'll show you 10,000 where they don't.
Goliaths are horrid versus zerg. Ling flanking manuervers owns them so badly as well as any zerg ground unit.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
to counter tanks and gols go with in with a few cloaked ghosts and LOCK THEM DOWN! they arent very usefull if they are immobilized and cant attack :D also do NOT use BCs against the gols-gols=megadeath for airuntis-size damage or not. gols totally own air units. a BC would get off like maybe 2 hits then it would explode. if u wanna use army of marines and firebats and ghosts then be sure to have meds. also include a scv in ur mechanical attack group-a little bit of repairing wont hurt. also bring a medic to blind their tanks-cant use seige if they cant see far enough. :)

um one more thing-gols are not really recommened against mutas unless in a SPREAD OUT GROUP-mutas attacks link together doing damage to more than 1 unit. gols need full upgrades+ranged missles to be effective against mutas-or even to stand a chance.

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
metal vs zerg is a hard to do strat and it has many weakness, but it has been used to throw off a oppoent style, like in all match up you have to change openings or else u get countered --v
If you do not understand that metal vs zerg was another tvz opening then you should play more and see

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You need to stop thinking something always works because you see it in a few replays. Metal(with the exception of tanks) sucks so bad against zerg it's ridiculous. I saw ONE where terran attempted vultures and failed. I suppose if you want to be flexible and all, but that's it.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
the only real metal thing u need against zerg is seige tanks-seige=zerg blood galore! if u wanna counter zerg, u need mass metal-a lot of gols (a mass group of like at least 30) will stand a chance against but, depending on upgrades and strategy, gols COULD totally own zerg air. mutas fall quickly to gols if they have the upgraded range missle-guardians overlord are too slow to get away from gols and devourers are hapless foes for gols-mutas can still own though, because of the link atatck.check this-i was playing a micro game and this guy hold off 3 firebats with ONE zergling and held off 4 gols with 2 mutas. if u wanna be sucessful with metal, use them as seige units, not neceassrily as attacking units when ur fighting zerg. toss are a bit diff however. gols=ownage to scouts. the only really good thing backing the gols up is their extra 1 armor and extra ranged missles. but most of the time players usually move their mutas away from the gols if they have the upgraded missles-ive seen this a lot.

for tanks, they are awesome defense against zerg land units. be sure to have a vessel for lurkers-ONE MORE THING! zerg units are produced in mass so use this skill by a scienve vessel-IRRADIATE! works wonders against mutas and overlords to!

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
1. stimmed marines do much better versus mutas than goliaths.
2. no one uses scouts.
3. If you meant carriers, then in your dreams. Goliaths suck vs carrs unless you catch them on open ground, which even a medicore player would avoid.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i ment scouts and i use scouts all the time-for air ownage. scouts have awesome air attack and have tons of health/armor/sheilds. i also keep a observer with me. ud be suprised how many people dont defend their cariers. but what i dont like about the marines is when u stim they lose health. this is bad if all of ur marines are stimming and more than 1 is being hurt with a link attack and there are more than 1 muta! think this-2 marines 2 mutas
marines lose 10 hp to stim-muta does about like what? maybe 10? another 5 due to link attack? marine does like maybe 12 damage (armor-attacktype changes) and does that 12 to 1 muta-who has about 120 hp. i think thats right anyway. if u have meds then the mutas would get owned for sure.

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
btw metal vs zerg is very common in map such as char, or any map with a long travel rate --v.
metal is now one of the commonly used strat tvz no matter how you think its pointless, i've obsed and watched alot of metal vs zerg games on euro,west,russia server,bclan server, and so on....
don't judge one strat because its slow and ineffective in small numbers. metal works well if u can harass with vulture while building a force of goliath.

But then again 80% of player don't go metal cause it require skill? :O

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
And it's funny how think metal is so good vs zerg based on 1 map.
Skill has nothing to do with it, either. Metal isn't as common as you make it out to be. I suppose you use that to your advantage, though, but that's about it. The fact that metal tvz is very VERY rare.

CuteGuyNo.1

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
play more games with non newbie?
metal is uncommon but still being used in LT when T is at 9 spot in a tvz game, even in enter the dragon, JR Mem, or any map with a cliff-ramp disvantage for slow unit such as infantry to go out, metal will be one of the set BO being used.
If you don't belive me, play as zerg and play over 50 player that is above any "Good" west level, which is top player or player that hardly loses in channel such as hyo , namomo , kor-1 , SG, and etc
if they get a 9 at LT spot they might DO metal depending on thier style --v

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You're just in denial. Get your head out of your ass and accept that metal is rare because it sucks vs zerg.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I never ever went goliaths against zerg before, cause they suck against them....True, they are good against lings, but they suck against hydras and mutas... A zerg will just defeat your goliaths with a combo of muta/ling, or maybe even just massive mutalisks...The more mutas they have, the more screwed u get..

Whereas m&m for example, just kick zerg's ass....ever seen a head on collision between mutas and m&m??? the infantry owns so badly, itz not even funny....that's why when zerg harasses the terran base with mutas, he retreats when he sees infantry...you NEVER send ur mutas to attack head on to a group of m&m..

Wraiths are understandable at 9 on LT, but not goliaths, they just plain suck against zerg...

yes, SOME TvZ games are won by using goliaths, but not a lot, most of the games are won by going m&m with tanks and vessel...Some ppl just use goliaths to throw the opponent off, or just mix things up a bit...