Selling characters on RMAH?

Snrm

Gaming since 1993
Reaction score
I know the Real Money Auction House really isn't doing too good now because of bots but if Blizzard ever regains control of their game over the dreaded bots would you support the idea of being able to sell characters on the RMAH? I know PVP is eventually coming to Diablo 3 and there is no doubt that people will get pretty hardcore about PVP in general so there is going to be a consumer group of people that want to buy certain accounts. Getting to level 60 in Diablo does take a good bit of time and I imagine in due time the level cap will be increased so accounts could be worth quite a lot if they are just at 60 with no equipment.

I personally think it would be pretty cool if we could sell characters because I already have a level 60 Barbarian that I KNOW I will not ever use again!

fred87nc

Member!
Reaction score
That would be a big no no since all characters are tied to the account. But hey you never know, RMAH is now a reality which we didnt think could happen. You should try harcore with your level 60 Barb, if he dies, well he dies, no more. lol At least you wont miss him.

Jessi

Member!
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't. That just encourages more botting and crazy fast level grinds to simply sell high level toons to who ever wants them. It may take a while to get to max level, but that's part of the game and part of earning it. I just think it would end up causing more problems than it's worth, too.

As for your barbarian, who knows? Maybe in an upcoming patch, they'll make a change that makes you want to play that one again.

Snrm

Gaming since 1993
Reaction score
That would be a big no no since all characters are tied to the account. But hey you never know, RMAH is now a reality which we didnt think could happen. You should try harcore with your level 60 Barb, if he dies, well he dies, no more. lol At least you wont miss him.
You can't just switch a character from normal mode to hardcore mode, that isn't possible. And Jessi I think it was inevitable that people would do all the exploits they could to sell things on the RMAH, it is only human nature! To everyone playing Diablo it is viewed as an easy money maker but it is not since there are so many other players out there.

Jessi

Member!
Reaction score
And Jessi I think it was inevitable that people would do all the exploits they could to sell things on the RMAH, it is only human nature!
You think it is just human nature to want to exploit things? Hmm.

To everyone playing Diablo it is viewed as an easy money maker but it is not since there are so many other players out there.
Yeah, there are just too many people. And there are far too many people who -are- exploiting things, so the average player can't even use it as a money maker really....much less an easy one.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
You think it is just human nature to want to exploit things? Hmm.

Yeah, there are just too many people. And there are far too many people who -are- exploiting things, so the average player can't even use it as a money maker really....much less an easy one.

I don't think that everyone wants to exploit the game, some people find it fun to hack and some people will take advantage of it for the money. I personally never enjoyed cheat codes, mod chips, or any form of hacking a game as it just took all the fun out of it for me... if there is no challenge, why would I play?

But I do believe that it is a bit of human nature to exploit any niche there is. It isn't 100% of people when I say human nature, but a guaranteed large minority. Raise the reward for the effort and remove some of the uncertainty towards success, and I'm sure almost everyone would do it.

JoshTheBoss

Reaction score
I think the RMAH is a bad scam.

To sell gold, it takes a 15% cut to sell, and then 15% to transfer to paypal.

With sites selling gold for under 2 million, why would we buy or sell from RMAH?

Jimmymadness

Reaction score
I feel this would ruin the game even more. The people with money would be running the show, in pvp and pve, then. It would for sure be a pay to win if that was ever released.

Vigorix

Reaction score
There really is no point to selling accounts. Currently there is absolutely nothing unique about characters. Like other people said it would also encourage botting. I seriously doubt Blizzard will ever be able to gain control of the botting situation. If there is money to be made in botting, people will always find a way.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
No stat points or skill points?

Characters are all generic and all teh same. This is mostly pointless. You might as well let players buy experience.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't. That just encourages more botting and crazy fast level grinds to simply sell high level toons to who ever wants them. It may take a while to get to max level, but that's part of the game and part of earning it. I just think it would end up causing more problems than it's worth, too.

As for your barbarian, who knows? Maybe in an upcoming patch, they'll make a change that makes you want to play that one again.
Ye I would agree with that. Selling characters would just increase the amount of boting and level grinding. Also since there is no equipment that binds you can just sell all your equipment if you never want to play again. It is the equivalent of selling your character.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
I never saw the appeal of doing this in ANY game Sitting there for days and weeks, building up a character just to sell it. I can't believe some people are so lazy they can't do that for themselves.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I never saw the appeal of doing this in ANY game Sitting there for days and weeks, building up a character just to sell it. I can't believe some people are so lazy they can't do that for themselves.
When I played WoW I always thought people who bought their characters sucked at the game. Not due to a lack of video game skill but for the fact that he/she did not sit there for 80 levels mastering all the skills and finding out what works for them. They did not constantly switch specs looks for optimal out-put. They didn't do anything that attached them to their character. Therefore I always felt they were bad players.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
When I played WoW I always thought people who bought their characters sucked at the game. Not due to a lack of video game skill but for the fact that he/she did not sit there for 80 levels mastering all the skills and finding out what works for them. They did not constantly switch specs looks for optimal out-put. They didn't do anything that attached them to their character. Therefore I always felt they were bad players.
That's basically my assumption as well. It just seems like a lazy way to go about the game. And less fulfilling at that on the account that you never did the work yourself. Which in turn means you didn't do very much exploring for yourself.

vishiousx

Reaction score
I really don't think Blizzard would ever allow it, and I really don't think it would be a good idea. With the bots it would be way too easy to get characters good enough for selling so once again regular people wouldn't be able to sell their characters against all the botting people.