Rockstar Vancouver being shut down

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
Despite all the praise the new Max Payne game has received, it must not have been good enough for Take Two has they have officially shut down Rockstar Vancouver and will now have them be dissolved into other Rockstar Divisions

News Here

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Ah! I meant to write about that earlier. I saw that. Maybe this will cut down on everyone's hours and they can churn out some really good games for all involved. At least everyone will get to keep their job if they so desire.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
Ah! I meant to write about that earlier. I saw that. Maybe this will cut down on everyone's hours and they can churn out some really good games for all involved. At least everyone will get to keep their job if they so desire.
I don't know, this seems to be a normal thing with Take Two and Rockstar. Last year Team Bondi closed down too remember.

I can understand if these were developers putting out bad games. But Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire were pretty heralded.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
But, the reason Team Bondi shut down is because no one was willing to work for the lead anymore. He made their lives miserable and I think they did more than threaten to walk. Rockstar felt that it wasn't viable work environment, so they had to shut it down. I think all of the guys under him got a chance to work for Rockstar, but the head had to go.

It's been a minute, so I may be missing some details.

fred87nc

Member!
Reaction score
Well I dont think the move was because they were a bad developers, because they are transfering to Toronto Rockstar who havent produced a game for years. Maybe they just looking focus everyone in one location.

Also from reading the post above me, it seems it was in their best interest to focus everyone in the same area.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
They may be able to switch up the teams a bit or just have them combined to speed up the process of actually making the game. I'm sure there are some strengths in each group that could benefit from the other.

fred87nc

Member!
Reaction score
As long as the company stays afloat, brings my sequel for my beloved Red Dead Redemption and keeps improving Grand Theft Auto (which they dropped the ball slightly with GTA4) then I can sleep well at night. I have yet to play Max Payne 3, never played the first 2, I kinda skipped them in my PS2 years.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
They may be able to switch up the teams a bit or just have them combined to speed up the process of actually making the game. I'm sure there are some strengths in each group that could benefit from the other.
That's assuming how many of the team is even willing to move.

Just imagine if you've been working in California for years and your boss all of a sudden walks in and is like "Ok, we're up and moving to Chicago". It's a sure fire bet a good portion won't be willing to go and look for work elsewhere.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
It depends on the job. Now, granted, I have no desire to move to Chicago, but if I already know that it will be hard to find what I have currently in California, I may have to make that move. Chicago isn't horrible, it's just not a city that I'm clamoring to move to. But, some people really do have jobs and companies that they love enough to make that change.

Esperahol

Reaction score
Ashame for the person not wishing to leave their places and lives, especially since they are going through these issues though no fault of their own.

Camkinz

Member!
Reaction score
Another Canadian studio, shut down. It really hurts us Canadians when a great studio gets shut down here. It might not hurt you Americans, but we don't have a lot of studios, so I feel sorry for the people that used to work there :(.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
Ashame for the person not wishing to leave their places and lives, especially since they are going through these issues though no fault of their own.
That's the most disheartening part of the whole thing. The employees were totally off guard and are being told they're either going to be uprooted or lose their jobs.