Repelling Gryphons Hu. vs. Hu.

Zerg83

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
If I'm a human and I'm battling another human, and he gets gryphons, whats a good way to repel them besides getting gryphons for myself.

Also when making an army, whats equally as good as gryphons?

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Dragonhawks = to the number of Gryphons can be helpful. As long as you are evened with him, none of his can attack. Sorcs and polymorph can disable some so you have to worry about less, while your riflemen shoot them down. Although a little gamble, you could use Siege Engines and Barrage to assist you in damaging more than 1.

Or do the next best thing: Prevent him from getting them with heavy pressure causing harrasses. It's a Tier3 unit, sometimes its better to make sure he cant use them than to face them.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Dragonhawks. They cost less, they build at tier 2 and they cost 3 food, while gryphons cost 4. Shackle his face and perhaps bring some riflemen.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
As long as you have Dragonhawks in proportion or 1-2 greater than the Gryphons, you should have no trouble going air vs air. Just be prepared in case he wants to add Rifleman or Tanks to his lineup. This is why Knights are also useful: To throw his next attack off guard.

Zerg83

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have a few more questions.

So when It comes to fighting Human ill probably make a rifleman and dragonhalk combo.

When fighting NE i like to get rifleman and knights.

Orcs like to get Gryphons

What should I do against Undead?

(BTW i do add in some priests and dwarven demo team)

Any thoughts? Or should I be getting a spellbreaker + rifleman combo for all battles?

ChrisH36

Reaction score
For one, dont get sorcs, because the slow and morph will only be used against you as Destroyer Food.

You will need knights to take down Fiends and some heroes, regardless of strategy. Spell Breakers are pretty decent to have around, to spell steal Curse and other harmful effects, plus they take reduced damage from fiends.

Zerg83

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm...what about repelling necors? If one of my warriors fall, then im basicly facing a billion skeletons...heh...

Also chris, I was wondering if you could take a look at my replay, i already made a thread, its called: A thrilling and sumwhat humerous Human Vs. Human replay

can you watch it?...i found it a bit silly and it gives me a slight chuckle. Idk, just thought i'd bring it up if you ever got bored.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Undead? Easy.

Get breakers.

Unless things have changed 99% of the time they go fiends and DK. Breakers totally screw that up, ESPECIALLY if they try to get destros.

You get foots in the beginning. Tech, then drop 2 sanctums. Then pump the breakers.

Breakers, will do double damage against fiends yet take reduced from fiends. Breakers also move fast. Their feedback works AMAZING on the mana of heroes and they can NOT be nuked. Finally, if you see a statue, breakers will kill that statue FAST with feedback.

Key units for HU:

HUvORC - gryphons: pwn burrows and melee units
HUvELF - riflemen: pwn hunts, dryads and casters
HUv UND - breakers: pwn fiends, stats, unnukable (if that's a word)

If you see UD going fiend, DK and stats, you are at a win-win situation if you mass breakers.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
But you need to attack before he gets the dest upgrade. You could also get Flying Machines to smack down the dests, if you have superior numbers that is.

I would also like to add that sorceresses are key as well when fighting Orc. They provide the slow needed.

QuikSilver

Forum *********
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I can't believe no one mentioned flying machines to counter gryphons...
The thing is that you must do whatever you can to get your counter up fast enough. If you have a workshop already, then pump out MASS flying machines with the flak canon upgrade. If you dont have a workshop, then I would suggest building the Aviary to get D hawks...Although by that time, you may get really screwed by the gryph harass...

I would say that the best counter to your problem would be to SCOUT out the Gryphons early!

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Flying machines vs Gryphons? Are you insane?

It takes 2-3 hammers to smite one Flying Machine. And even with Flak Shells, a group of Flying Machines would only be able to do about 1/4 damage before almost all of them are shot out of the sky.

The only reason MS gets away with it vs undead is because Dests have **** damage, except when they fire Orbs.

Pains Requiem

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Though they cost a lot less gold, heavy air armor sucks. PLUS Dragon Riders have a higher attack than the machines. Their health sucks too..

ChrisH36

Reaction score
725 HP when upgraded. But the trick with them is Aerial Shackles. If you have DHawks within proportion to your enemies' Gryphons, you can prevent them from attacking. And the damage and duration together kills even a chim over time. If you have more than enough, you can insure that the Gryphons cannot be stopped.

QuikSilver

Forum *********
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Flying machines vs Gryphons? Are you insane?

It takes 2-3 hammers to smite one Flying Machine. And even with Flak Shells, a group of Flying Machines would only be able to do about 1/4 damage before almost all of them are shot out of the sky.

The only reason MS gets away with it vs undead is because Dests have **** damage, except when they fire Orbs.
I have seen it done many times by pros! Look at Sk.insomnia vs hu! I know that doesnt justify the strat, but the key is to hide them and mass a good number (they build really fast). The flying machines are very fast and can even shoot at aerials when they are flying away...The gryphons are slower and have a slow attack speed...

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Good point, but you will still need a number beyond reckoning, like 20-30 to gun down a decent number of Grys effectively.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
The Flying Machine must be sent by legion, its a bee swarm type of unit, like Ghouls with IAS.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
casters/rifles with blizzard = GG griffs.

I harass early on though.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Grys fly fast, the blizzard wont be as effective. Plus, the enemy would either stun you to stop the blizzard or just nuke you with Storm Hammers.

Then again, that is usually the first thing they end up doing.