Reaction score
Originally posted by MacMan
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=evolution evolution, #3
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=natural selection natural selection #1

Under evolution, evolution=natural selection
Under natural selection, natural selection=adaptation
If natural selection=adaptation, and evolution=natural selection,
evolution would therefore=adaptation
ok, i see your point, but i still dont see where adapt comes in. (if u read my short essay i grabed off the internet, ull see what i mean)

MacMan

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
That post is in reference to layterm, and explained how adaptation is micro evolution.

MacMan

Reaction score
From ask jeeves:
Helen (Fryman) Setterfield is a very active internet creationist. One of her several claims to fame is her personal relationship with many well known actors in the field of creeationism (in many of its guises). Like most lay creationists, Helen makes what I call matter-of-fact statements about topics in which she has demonstrated little, if any, actual understanding. She tends to cut and paste or re-word statements that she has read on a private creationist listserv, and to later reiterate those statements despite having their errors pointed out ot her.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
ok, evolution is when something changes into something completly diffrent, yet still the same family right?

MacMan

Reaction score
Hardly, it could be a result though, if by family you mean genus. If you knew what evolution was, you could answer your own question. It's very small changes over periods of millions of years.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
So african, asian, european, and native americans are completly diffrent species? because they all adapted diffrently to their enviroments.

MacMan

Reaction score
Ok, now you show me you don't know the definition of a species. A species is a group of organisms that cannot interbreed with it's ancestors.

edit: They all did adapt differently, hence why africans have black skin, asians have unique eyes etc... Even though they evolved differently, the races' sexual organs did not change enough to create a new species.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
u know what? **** THIS THREAD....i say we both shut the hell up and dont talk about this thread. its really dumb and undebatable.

MacMan

Reaction score
If you would stop proving yourself wrong you would enjoy it more. I say you don't want to debate it any more because I just crushed the base for all your arguments.
Evolution is in no way dumb.

btw I'm on debate team :)

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
well, im not sayin shit even though i should cuz i know ways to build a new base ^_^ but other than that, im too smart to waste time debating wether evoution is really just adapt or if it really happens....its actually really dumb to debate since no one's seen humanity actually evolve from an ape to a human.

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't have to see something evolve before your eyes to know it happens...there is more than enough evidence.

MacMan

Reaction score
If you have to make a new basis for all of your arguments, because your original one was shot down, that just proves how much more stable the evolution argument is.

There's no one alive who's seen Jesus, wouldn't that make him just as dumb?

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Too smart for this debate? What the hell? No you're not. You're too dumb for the debate, bastard, and that's why you're leaving it. You can't grasp the concept that the words are synonyms. I would feel pity for you if I didn't hate you.

Evolution doesn't mean that you evolve in to a new species. It just means that you change slowly. Exactly like adaptation means. If you change slowly in to a new species, so what? That's evolution AND adaptation. People HAVE seen evolution in action so your point is...hmmm....pointless?

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Interesting...

First questions first..

Earth isn't the only planet that can support life. It might be the only PLANET that can support life in our solar system at the time, but moons of Jupiter have proven to be promising, and solar systems other than ours must have life. It's highly improbable, considering the fact that the thousands of stars we see at night are each their own solar systems, most of which are larger than ours, that our little planet is the only one capable of supporting life.

Humans evolve every day? The person who told you that most likely meant that it is a very slow, gradual process. I believe a good understated relation to human evolution would be "as slow as molasses in the middle of January."

Third...
If you don't describe learning as "behavioral modification especially through experience," then what else would it be? You see something, then you know it. Then when you need it, you use it. That's what monkeys do. That's what apes do. That's what humans do.

About adaptation versus evolution--they are VERY different. We debated this in bio a week ago but my head hurts and I'm hot and sticky from my walk home from school so I can't think very well.

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, they are NOT very different. Evolution and adaption go hand in hand.

Tempest Storm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.war3.com
For some reason, I missed this topic. And as I don't have an hour to spend reading all the replies here, I'm just gonna answer your first questions.

Originally posted by thebastardsword
Why is there only one earth that supports human life or any life for that matter?

im asking this question because why is there only 1 planet out of the countless numbers of planets human scientists have investigated,there is no life. And why is everything on earth so perfect for life? (if the earth was i belive 100 miles closer to the sun, wed die of heat, and if it was farther from the sun, wed freeze to death)
Life doesn't just grow ontress. OK, crappy anology. But it takes a specific combonation of things to spawn life. And we have found small micro organisms on Mars, so that is more proof that there is life on other planets. Also, we've only looked at a tiny fraction of the entire universe.

How do humans really evolve?

I hear a lot of people say we are evolving every day. but i do not belive that they are using the right word. if we were evolving everyday, then wed all be super psychic beings that have no need for further evolution and mating. i belive the correct word should be adapt. do humans adapt or evolve?
Homosapiens are only a million years old. In that million years, we have come from wondering arouind with sticks hunting rabbits to sending rockets into space. In nature, every species evolves in the necissary ways to adapt to it's natural enviroment. But we human have the ability to change our enviroment and adapt to different habitats without going to physical evolution. Our evolution is in our head. Using more and more of our brain capacity to become more intelligent and creating new little gizmos to further our survival.

How does an ape learn a type of sign language without help?

there are many scientists whom state that apes have the capacity to learn a type of langauge that give them the ability to communicate. but couldnt the apes just merely be mimicing? like using tools, if an ape saw a human using a rock to open a nut, one monkey trys it, it works, another monkey sees this one monkey do it, and so on untill millions of mokeys know how to use a rock tool to open a nut, and through this one thing, they are able to build on it to use the same tool to ope other things that would normally take a long time for apes to do by themselves. in conclusion, without someone to teach an ape how to do something, could they learn it on their own?
The same way we did, experimentation. Apes allready use primitive "tools" to complete certan tasks. And btw, humans need someone to show them how to do things to. So really, all it takes it that one really smart ape to show the rest how to do something.