PS4 CPU stats?

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
With the release of the PS3, conversations spread of its "supercomputer" processor. At the time a very powerful processor but in retrospect (from today's technology) is far less powerful than my laptop (which however is a gaming rig). I would argue that its CPU is level with mid-range desktop computers. Currently the console is very mediocre compared to normal gaming rigs (my laptop from 4 years ago [once again a gaming laptop] had equivalent GPU) and it leads to the argument that consoles are holding back the video game industry with their static development (See Patrick Bach's blog post). Will the PS4 attempt to surpass top tier gaming rigs in hopes of maintaining competitive hardware over a few years?

Which leads me to question, are consoles viable with such long periods between generations?

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Well from a strictly technical standpoint, consoles have always had weaker "pure" hardware capabilities becasue they didnt have bloated operating system. So while your computer had "comparable" stats, the PS3 would still massively out perform it when rendering the exact same game.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well from a strictly technical standpoint, consoles have always had weaker "pure" hardware capabilities becasue they didnt have bloated operating system. So while your computer had "comparable" stats, the PS3 would still massively out perform it when rendering the exact same game.
Agreed, but consider that when PS3 was first released people considered it a super-computer (technically this was mislabeling), it was TOP of the line hardware compared to gaming machines. Now days the PS3 (same for xbox 360), is matched by mid-level gaming machines. The latest games played on consoles are the equivalent of medium settings on the PC platform. This is alright but this should be the case at the end of a console generation, not at a point when details are still scarce on new developments.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I think the appeal of a console is not really the hardware but rather the longing on a couch with your foot over the arm rest while you lay down with a controller in your hand and be able to play games. It is much harder to do that with a CPU. Plus consoles lend themselves to having people over and play some games better than CPU because no one wants to carry their computer around.