P~Dragoons

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
...Does anyone really use them much? After I got BW, I usally have corsairs by the time they get air, so goons seem like a waste to me - I spend the money on rushing to DT's and HT's, then go from there to Corsairs and Carriers.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
goons are fine vs toss/terran early game. They're not too great vs zerg except vs lurkers.

Goons/Obs >>> vultures.

My only gripe about them is that they're retarded(bad AI). It would be nice if they did normal damage, too.

Biske

Reaction score
Gosh, speaking about retarded AI - I played on this ice map, a 1v1...can't remember exactly, but my DT's were completely lost as to what to do. I'd tell them to attack a unit, and they had 6 to choose from, they'd either stop, or move away from the enemy units. Mark that as a stupid map. And this has happened to my a few tims now - AI seems to have difiiculty on certain maps.

Also, Goons are so slow, and bulky. Especially when the enemies have a ramp to their base, they just jam up the entrance. But, that would cut down on the casualties caused by Spider Mines.

drax

Member!
Reaction score
I usually only use goons as a back-up unit.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
"who uses dragoons"...lol..u make it sound as if they are underused or not used at all

In response to your question......about EVERYONE

Biske

Reaction score
Don't get smart. I'm saying, they have been under played by other units you can get. Goons have their uses. Blocking Ramps is one of them.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Prox said:
Don't get smart. I'm saying, they have been under played by other units you can get. Goons have their uses. Blocking Ramps is one of them.
Under played??? omg....

and goons have MANY uses, and is probably the best all-around unit for protoss...

Biske

Reaction score
Hahaha! Read my sig...oh wait, I'll save you the trouble:
BULLSHIT

Best over all Protoss unit my ass....hahaha! Lings can rip them apart in seconds. I don't know about you, but if something that expensive can be killed that fast by Lings, it ain't that great. But, as I said, they have their uses.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Prox said:
Best over all Protoss unit my ass....hahaha! Lings can rip them apart in seconds. I don't know about you, but if something that expensive can be killed that fast by Lings, it ain't that great. But, as I said, they have their uses.
wow...ur are such a dumbass...every unit has a unit/units to counter it..there is NO perfect unit

go and play some non money map games...and DON'T BUILD DRAGOONS....u die every game..guaranteed...unless ur facing some newb like urself

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
besides goons are the only anti air unit that the protoss have besides ht bt they need energy. well and arcons but their rangs is somewhat limited

Biske

Reaction score
Tiger_shark said:
wow...ur are such a dumbass...every unit has a unit/units to counter it..there is NO perfect unit

go and play some non money map games...and DON'T BUILD DRAGOONS....u die every game..guaranteed...unless ur facing some newb like urself

....hahahaha! Whatever dude. I have never, and never will play money maps, Mr. Know-it-all. No perfect unit eh? Then why the fack did you say the Dragoon is the BEST over all unit the Protoss have? Slow rate of fire, easily killed my close range AND long range units. Infact, the last 10 games I've played Protoss, I haven't built one Dragoon. They were all over in less then 20 minutes, I won them, each and every one of them.

Why you throwing a hissy fit? Sounds like you're the "noob" here. Get over yourself. In all this high blood pressure causing conversation, you haven't proved that the Dragoon is worth 125m 50g. I can get to corsairs by the time they have any air, so it don't matter to me. That is, unless they straight tech to air, but then they'd be dead anyway cause I scout every few minutes.

Your "guarantee" has proved worthless to me. Or rather, as I'd like to put it, take your opinion and shove it. :p

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Dragoons are good in their own way, you could say. If their attack damage wasn;t reduced against some armor types and units (Mainly Mutalisk, I hate losing a bunch of Dragoons to dealy muta bounce) and maybe some other units as well. They are a awesome support unit for Zealots or any other ground units, and are nice to have at some points. But that's my opinion.

Biske

Reaction score
Yes, I believe they have their uses, as a support troop, but it just doesn't do as well as you'd want it to. They are so clumsy. I guess I just prefer getting DT's then Dragoons early on.

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Prox said:
....hahahaha! Whatever dude. I have never, and never will play money maps, Mr. Know-it-all. No perfect unit eh? Then why the fack did you say the Dragoon is the BEST over all unit the Protoss have? Slow rate of fire, easily killed my close range AND long range units. Infact, the last 10 games I've played Protoss, I haven't built one Dragoon. They were all over in less then 20 minutes, I won them, each and every one of them.

Why you throwing a hissy fit? Sounds like you're the "noob" here. Get over yourself. In all this high blood pressure causing conversation, you haven't proved that the Dragoon is worth 125m 50g. I can get to corsairs by the time they have any air, so it don't matter to me. That is, unless they straight tech to air, but then they'd be dead anyway cause I scout every few minutes.

Your "guarantee" has proved worthless to me. Or rather, as I'd like to put it, take your opinion and shove it. :p
can't u read...the dragoon is the BEST overall unit...not the PERFECT unit...and btw..dragoons > hydras, and dragoons /w range > marines and medics...also...if you ever heard something called micro...dragoons aren't gonna be killed by melee units as ez as u think, especially if they are backed up by some zealots or high temps

10 games without goons huh? what did u do..zeal/cannon rush?...mass cannon in and go carriers?...or other newb strats? against newb ppl?...try going on wgtour or neo-gamei and play some decent ppl instead of playing those pathetic pubs u see on east and west.

and you make it sound like the only reason u build dragoons is for anti air...WRONG..Take PvT for example...T goes standard vultures/tank with mines...you tell me what are you going to kill the mines with...zealots and dt's? air? don't make me laugh...

Biske

Reaction score
Ugh...you just don't give up, do you? Seriously, tell me the last time you've been attacked by a wave of Vultures. No, really. In the last week? Month? I don't cannon rush, that is the stupidest strat ever, easily beaten. Don't believe me? Go ahead then, try to accomplish what I've done, play and win 10 games atleast, without any Dragoon support, then come back to me and tell me "You can't live without them". I've done so, now you do it. Until then, I could care less as to your remarks, you're just pissed off because I don't use them. What's the matter? Afraid I've adapted other ways of winning? I don't know, and I don't care what your reason is.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
1. He plays terran.
2. They use vultures in pretty much every tvp.
3. What kind of players are u playing that you don't need dragoons?
4. Show us a rep of playing pvp/pvt or even pvz against someone competent, then we can discuss this further.

Taligaro

Furyan Merc
Reaction score
Dragoons suck and thats all there is to it. A swarm of zerglings, hydralisks, ultralisks, mutalisks, and a few guardians is a WELL rounded army and has provided me with hours of enjoyment, at the expence of someones base.

If a base is on high ground I go all lings, and cracklings at that. I have a few spare groups burrowed at my base and a bunch of spore collonies for anti-air along with a few sunkens for added defense. Although since all I play anymore is UMS I'm probably a little rusty. I do play a few melees against three(toss, terran, and zerg) comps every few weeks to see if I 'still got it' as they say.

Note that I am not saying zerg are the best race, I'm saying I used to win 80% of the time with zerg. I also agree with Prox, lings will royally screw an army of goons!

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Early game, with their sight range upgrade, they can be quite good against stuff like Zerglings and Hydras. They are OK against Interceptors too.

But as the game progresses, they become more of a liability than an asset.