Operating a diablo II old-patch server WAN

FotL_WanD4

Member!
Reaction score
dont post to post, only if you actually know what you're talking about

skipping the details of running and old-patch, ie 1.09 over a wan. (this would mean NOT running it over lan)
ok now that i specified i dont want any dumb comments here we go

i mailed blizz about this and evidently its violating their terms of agreements... well what isnt violating their terms on this forum, right? anyways. my friends and i want to live in the past (dont ask) more or less to mess with all the open exploits it had. so, we want to know how to run a 3rd party server where people can logon via IP on a wide area network rather than local on open. I know already a few mods have servers setup using the gateway config program thats floating around out there and the mods are such as Eastern Sun Server, Ancestrial Recall server and what have you. Im looking for anytype of information that could lead me to find something that could accomplish this. i have a theory but i want to hear what you guys got.
please, id rather have noone reply to this than alot of non-illogical and non-technical flowing answers.

thanks.

Nearby-Stalker

Member!
Reaction score
Check out PvPGN.org, you should be able to get everything you need from there. Dont bother asking blizzard about anything, they wont help ya =p BTW unless you got a T1 connection, a decent computer to setup a server, and your friends live close enough to you (the same, half of the country i guess), your gonna lag :p Well , you wont, but your friends will, hahaha. You can connect to the server through lan instead of wan, since the computer will be in your house, and u will get like, 10 ping, while everyone else gets around 90, hee hee.

FotL_WanD4

Member!
Reaction score
Nearby-Stalker said:
Check out PvPGN.org, you should be able to get everything you need from there. Dont bother asking blizzard about anything, they wont help ya =p BTW unless you got a T1 connection, a decent computer to setup a server, and your friends live close enough to you (the same, half of the country i guess), your gonna lag :p Well , you wont, but your friends will, hahaha. You can connect to the server through lan instead of wan, since the computer will be in your house, and u will get like, 10 ping, while everyone else gets around 90, hee hee.
yeaaa...... id have 0 since i was the server and they (if they did lag) would shoot past 500 in order too because you wont feel latency until 280+ ... 90 is a softspot for dsl. thanks for the site. ill check it out

FotL_WanD4

Member!
Reaction score
wow man, i check that site, its perfect, i got all the stuff i needed. i owe you one

Nearby-Stalker

Member!
Reaction score
no problem :p btw, you had 0 cause you were the server, your suppost to have another computer run as the server,they will get a much nicer ping if you do, hee hee.