Ninja Gaiden II: Review

guysensei

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Finally, a true sequel to the first game. It only came out four years and three months later! Although it is impact on the gaming community isn't up there with the first game, it is still an enjoyable experience.

Once again, the protagonist of the story is Ryu Hayabusa. The story starts you off in a Muramasa's shop, with the introduction of a new character, Sonia. Shortly after some dialogue between her and Muramasa, about how she's looking for Ryu and etc., she's attacked! It looks about she's just to be kidnapped, when wouldn't you know, our hero shows up to do battle. In an amazing display of CGI and awesome ninja moves, Ryu attempts to do battle with these enemies, and then you're thrust into his shoes. The story only picks up from there.

Onto the combat system. Like the first game, it centers around blocking and counter-attacking. A wide variety of techniques are able to be utilized in finishing off an enemy. Whether it's the "obliteration," technique, which involves a short CGI scene in which Ryu finishes off an enemy, the ultimate technique, which requires Ryu to charge up, or just some simple hack and slash moves which removes body parts left and right. Did I also mention that body parts fall off of the enemy? It's pretty awesome.

In addition to the deadly moves, there are also deadly weapons! There's a plethora of weapons to chose from, ranging from the Dragon Sword to a Giant Scythe to Ranged Weapons. The ways to kill your enemies just increase and increase as you get farther on in the game.

The enemies in this game are numerous and various. Many different types of enemies will make the adventure seem more interesting, as well as the sheer numbers that attack you throughout a chapter. At certain points, it does seem a bit overwhelming, but it's all done in the name of added difficulty.

Boss fights were alright, but not comparable to the first. They were much easier in the sequel as opposed to the first, which to some, may seem like as a bonus. Personally, I did not feel as accomplished after defeating a boss in the second, as opposed to the first game.

Overall, the game took me twelve hours to beat, while the first took me nineteen. Whether you replay it or not is whether your determined to get those Achievements or not. Ninja Gaiden II did get a few things right, though. The A.I. was as ruthless as ever, and the battle system was vastly improved. A few little touch ups would've made this game much better, but as it is now, it's still a great pure action game.

Dark Blade rates this game as a B+