Linux players getting banned?

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Have you heard about the uproar amongst Linux players that they are getting banned from playing, simply because they are playing on Linux? Blizzard is denying the charge and states that they can prove they were cheating. Do you have any friends that have been playing through WINE on Linux? Did they get banned?

Waynefire

Reaction score
I do not have any friends who were banned, but I would have to ask what kind of proof do they have? I know if I was one of the banned users I would want to see the proof or at least know what I did so I could avoid the same issue again.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
According to Blizzard's statement, they "extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating systems setup for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly." It then goes onto say that they found the banning were clear, accurate and fair.

So, I guess they feel they've done all that they need to throw down the banhammer. It's probably no different from when XBox Live comes through with theirs.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
Well Linux at its core is really a debug OS. So it's probably safe to guess that anyone playing on Linux is possibly well versed in all sorts or hacks and tricks to do whatever they want in Diablo 3

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
True, but that wouldn't have been my first thought in thinking that they were cheating. However, if you do decide to cheat, you really shouldn't do it when it's already clear that you are jumping through hoops to even play the game, which playing on Linux is doing. You already have an arrow pointed at you, now you want to turn on the flashing neon?

I believe Blizzard.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
True, but that wouldn't have been my first thought in thinking that they were cheating. However, if you do decide to cheat, you really shouldn't do it when it's already clear that you are jumping through hoops to even play the game, which playing on Linux is doing. You already have an arrow pointed at you, now you want to turn on the flashing neon?

I believe Blizzard.

Good point, but with the mentality of the hacker/cheater isn't so much the jumping through hoops. It's the fact they want to show they CAN do something. It's ego and pride more than anything.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Well, then I guess their ego and pride have been shattered and the time they put into the game, wasted as they are all now banned. :D

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
Well, then I guess their ego and pride have been shattered and the time they put into the game, wasted as they are all now banned. :D
Being banned means nothing to them. They just eventually find a way around it. That's the problem of once an exploit is found. The best that can be done is a patch, not a full fix. And because it's not ever fully fixed, eventually the hacker finds his/her way back in.

It's been happening for almost as long as computer gaming online existed.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
There just has to be at least 100,000 more interesting things to do than to prove you can get into someplace and to then keep getting banned from said place. Maybe 75,000 more interesting things and I'm overestimating the last 25,000.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
There just has to be at least 100,000 more interesting things to do than to prove you can get into someplace and to then keep getting banned from said place. Maybe 75,000 more interesting things and I'm overestimating the last 25,000.
Well yeah, of course there are plenty more interesting, more worthwhile things to do. You know that. I know that. Most people with common sense know that. But again, THEY don't care lol. As long as they can flex their "E" peens, that's all they care about.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
They need to get a Gamerscore, that way they can flex and flex it publicly. :D

BOBDOB

Reaction score
The freedom with the Linux OS is as such that it makes it easier for players to hack the game so I'd have to take Blizzard's side. However I do feel that the people who were affected by this "Linux Banhammer" should atleast get to know what they have actually done to get themselves banned.

Jimmymadness

Reaction score
I think it's dieing out now though. Not sure if that's because blizzard fixed the problem or because all linux players quit though.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
The ones that were banned know exactly why they were banned, they just won't tell that part of the story. Blizzard isn't just cutting the connections to the game without reason or without providing them.

iFreakGod

Reaction score
I play on linux and windows and have experienced no problems with either of them! I think Blizzard is being honest because I have had no problems at all! Good for Blizzard that they were able to catch the few that have attempted to hack and dropped the banhammer on them!

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
That is a bit unfair. Especially because Linux players have to put more work into making games run on their operating system lol

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
I don't think Blizzard minds the work that was put into trying to play the game, but they do and should draw the line at anyone, Linux or not, trying to cheat the game. Who cares how much effort they've put in, if they've only done it to cheat?

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
While I agree that you should not do it to cheat, but I think only a minimal of Linux players do it to cheat. They should punish the individuals not the whole OS even though that may be easier.

iFreakGod

Reaction score
Ya but they aren't banning all Linux players. Just the ones that tried to cheat. I play on Linux and so does some guy I just met and neither of us have any problems! And its not that much work to run it on Linux to be honest.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
They didn't ban the OS, it simply isn't readily available for Linux to play and they have to go through a few extra measures to get it to work on their systems. And from Freak says, the measures aren't even that extreme.