Last news about banning in Diablo III: Reinforcement of security?

Bloomatic

Member!
Reaction score
A few minutes ago I was reading this news. What do you think?

"Blizzard has always had a strong stance against anyone trying to exploit game mechanics or bugs for gain in games like StarCraft or WoW. When real-world money is involved, as the auction house in Diablo III introduced last month, such security is paramount. That's why the company from Irvine placed restrictions on the number of games a player could make in a given timeframe. Unfortunately, legitimate players complained about the restrictions and Blizzard lifted them. Now, the number of game instances you can create in Diablo III will be limited once again, but hopefully the variables have been tweaked enough to ensure real players are not affected.

"We've further tuned and tested the conditions that trigger this limit to ensure, as much as possible, that it only affects those abusing the Diablo III game service in a way that violates the Terms of Use - for example, by using bots that create games in rapid succession," said Vaeflare, a community representative on Blizzard's official forums.

Vaeflare said Blizzard would continue to ban accounts with suspicious activity, but this limit would be an always-on security measure. "While we regularly take action against accounts for the use of unauthorized third-party programs and bots, this additional measure will help us further preserve and protect the integrity of the game and economy in between ban waves," he said.

Blizzard has struggled with making sure Diablo III stays as free of exploits as possible while not pissing off players. At one point, you couldn't play past a certain level in a certain timeframe with a digital copy, but Blizzard lifted that after a week. And of course, the whole always-connected-to-the-internet thing is just another restriction on play meant to facilitate multiplayer, but also allow them to keep an eye on players.

The change to restrict multiple game creation in Diablo III is not yet live, but soon you will not be able to spam the opening of games every three seconds. Also, if your cat rolls on your keyboard while you nip off to grab a cup of tea, you may end up getting banned from accessing the Diablo III servers. If that happens, you can email Blizzard with a cute cat picture, and you may get off scot free.

Snrm

Gaming since 1993
Reaction score
I have been a huge fan of Blizzard ever since World of Warcraft was released so many years ago but I have been severely disappointed by how they have been handling Diablo 3. I thought the Real Money Auction House was a great idea even if it made players have to be online at all times to play to avoid hacking. Now even when players are online they are still hacking and completely ruining the game. I assume the bots are using a similar software, I feel that it can't be THAT hard for Blizzard to fix a hack that is being used by so many cheaters.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
The game didn't need a RMAH as much as it needed more playablility.

And you can't get banned permanently for logging in and out too much, they just temporarily ban your account. Aside, the fix they are applying is fine.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
I think when "real money" is involved, you should err on the side of caution and that what it seems Blizzard is doing to me. They will find the balance that is need to protect the customer and keep out the hacker.

fred87nc

Member!
Reaction score
There was money to be made at the beginning , a lot of players that I knew started botting to make some extra cash on the side or upgrade their characters since its going to take a pretty penny to keep your character up to date. But this is good, keeps the balance, value of items need to go down and hold will come up, Same thing different story.

I'm still at level 38 demon hunter and havent had the time to play but Im taking my sweet time.

JoshTheBoss

Reaction score
It's just rediculous that they are going through trial and error at this point. The AH already exists and they are already exploiting it to the max. They don't care if people are making money off the RMAH because they get a cut!

It's just a public stance to avoid a class action lawsuit in my opinion.

Vigorix

Reaction score
Seriously, Blizzard does not really care about how fun this game is. They are trying to milk the game for whatever its worth. They want to remove any easy way to get gold and items. With each hotfix and nerf they are slowly driving the more casual players away from the game.

Jimmymadness

Reaction score
A few minutes ago I was reading this news. What do you think?

"Blizzard has always had a strong stance against anyone trying to exploit game mechanics or bugs for gain in games like StarCraft or WoW. When real-world money is involved, as the auction house in Diablo III introduced last month, such security is paramount. That's why the company from Irvine placed restrictions on the number of games a player could make in a given timeframe. Unfortunately, legitimate players complained about the restrictions and Blizzard lifted them. Now, the number of game instances you can create in Diablo III will be limited once again, but hopefully the variables have been tweaked enough to ensure real players are not affected.

"We've further tuned and tested the conditions that trigger this limit to ensure, as much as possible, that it only affects those abusing the Diablo III game service in a way that violates the Terms of Use - for example, by using bots that create games in rapid succession," said Vaeflare, a community representative on Blizzard's official forums.

Vaeflare said Blizzard would continue to ban accounts with suspicious activity, but this limit would be an always-on security measure. "While we regularly take action against accounts for the use of unauthorized third-party programs and bots, this additional measure will help us further preserve and protect the integrity of the game and economy in between ban waves," he said.

Blizzard has struggled with making sure Diablo III stays as free of exploits as possible while not pissing off players. At one point, you couldn't play past a certain level in a certain timeframe with a digital copy, but Blizzard lifted that after a week. And of course, the whole always-connected-to-the-internet thing is just another restriction on play meant to facilitate multiplayer, but also allow them to keep an eye on players.

The change to restrict multiple game creation in Diablo III is not yet live, but soon you will not be able to spam the opening of games every three seconds. Also, if your cat rolls on your keyboard while you nip off to grab a cup of tea, you may end up getting banned from accessing the Diablo III servers. If that happens, you can email Blizzard with a cute cat picture, and you may get off scot free.
Personally, I have no problems with high security. That being said, I do have a problem with wrongful banning of linux players. I think if you're wrong fess up and make it right.

Winterzbane

Reaction score
It's sad however extremely true, and blizzard has sold out ladies and gents. They may say they are doing certain things to restrict automated players as to retain the purity of the game for true players. However when it comes down to it they are protecting the in-game economy cause they know we can drive up easier sales for them through the RMAH than the bots.