Koolaid : Should he Play SC

[Koolaid]

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
So i have Sc and I dont know i pretty much suck at it...
Nto i usually took the Protoss and I did allrigh with them in single although in multi i got gg'd by some 7 year olds...

Now im looking for some strategies and your favorite ones.. I need some help so I could play this game because im fed up of Diablo adn my cs is beign really ghey

So can ne one gimme some strategies for protoss or send me a link?

aphextwin

Reaction score
dont play money maps and ull win

PauseBreak

Reaction score
Always, always always build fast. This will 99% of the time win you the game.
Now Protoss is a bit harder to play. They are expensive units. I usually build a rather large amount of Goons because they are much like the hyrdras for the Zerg. They attack both air and ground and have an overall well set hp/shields.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
Assuming that you're talking about non-money maps..

-Pylon @ 7.5th probe
-10 Gateway
-12 Assimilator (send 3 probes as soon as it is finished warping)
-14 Cybernetics Core
-15 Plyon
-Build 2 more peons
-Dragoon
-Upgrade dragoon's sight range

That is the very basic build order for standard PvT.
From that point on, you can either choose to add another gateway, add robotics, or temp archive.
2gate opening has its pros and cons, and 1gate/robo opening has its pros and cons as well, just like any other opening.

1Gate/Robo, Ob opening:
-Strong vs. 2Fac Vultures
-Weak vs. FD
-Allows to control the map(some of the map) as soon as ob comes out of robotics facility.
*FD stands for fake double, which is a new type of gundam rush where T pressures P with 6 marines, 1 tank, and mine up'd vultures, while expanding at the sametime.

2Gateway opening:
-Strong vs. FD
-Strong early dragoon push
-Weak vs. 2Fac Vultures
-Slow ob production
-Allows T to take control of the map (only if T goes 2Fac vultures)

Toss isn't my race, so that is all I know.
I'm sure AoP, and Phoenix could help you further more.

P.S.- I strongly recommend you to download replays of professional gamers and watch them carefully, watch their build orders, how they counter...etc.
P.S.#2 - Try to avoid LT games, since LT greatly favors Z, and T, try to play in maps that favor protoss like Luna.

BlizzCon reps can be downloaded from here:
http://download.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/replays/BlizzCon_Starcraft_replays.zip

DeathClaw

Member!
Reaction score
Obviously you should try Zerg ;). When I was new and sucked at all the races except for Protoss (which for some reason I was always proficient at) and people started whippping me like I was some sort of loser idiot with no real strategy, I took up other races. Starting with Terran (I highly recommend straying from Terran until you become better, their main strength is their speed through their tech tree--for advanced players who develope well) and i did the noob defence. With the supply depots in front, blocking the entrance, and tanks and bunkers behind that. Air crawled all over me then. So, I went to Zerg, and I really saw a dramatic change in my play. With Zerg, it's much easier. Providing you know sufficient Zerg tactics to hold the late game (in money maps).

My advice is to scrool through races to find which you're best at.

[Koolaid]

Reaction score
What are these money and Lt games? and thx @ for all the info :D

how can i make those videos worked

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
Koolaid said:
What are these money and Lt games? and thx @ for all the info :D

how can i make those videos worked
Money maps are the maps where mineral & gas are unlimited (50,000 to be exact)
LT stands for "Lost Temple", which is the most popular non-money map in Starcraft.

If you're talking about the replays, put them in your Starcraft folder.
Path:
C:\Program Files\Starcraft\maps\replays

If you don't have a folder called "replays", you can make one by yourself.

To view replays:
1. Run Starcraft
2. Go to singleplayer mode
*The replays work on b.net/multiplayer too, but singleplayer is recommended since it responses to your commands the fastest
3. Click on "Play Custom"
4. You'll find a list of folders, and maps, find a folder called "replays"
5. Select a replay you want to play
6. Have fun

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
Money maps are the maps where mineral & gas are unlimited (50,000 to be exact)
And stacked times 50, so each base really has 2,500,000 minerals which removes resource management from the game.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Darkmatter said:
Hydralisks + Dark Swarm is my favorite strategy. While it's easy to counter, air whores lose to it so much and I love it. :D
Well, yeah, if anyone is silly enough to leave his ar units over your swarm instead of just running away.

DeathClaw

Member!
Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
Hydralisks + Dark Swarm is my favorite strategy. While it's easy to counter, air whores lose to it so much and I love it. :D
Sooo....I never did figure it out, does Dark Swarm only negate air attacks, or does it also nullify splash damage or what? Anyway, that strategy is really easy to pull out, especially considering that if there are no air units around, you can still use the Plague (or whatever it's called) and leave all your opponent's stuff at one health. And, you mentioned that you play multiplayer...as in Battle.Net or a Top Vs. Bottom game? If you realy do play TVB, then stick to a strategy that your partner(s) can build off of.

aphextwin

Reaction score
a@... said:
Assuming that you're talking about non-money maps..

-Pylon @ 7.5th probe
-10 Gateway
-12 Assimilator (send 3 probes as soon as it is finished warping)
-14 Cybernetics Core
-15 Plyon
-Build 2 more peons
-Dragoon
-Upgrade dragoon's sight range

That is the very basic build order for standard PvT.
From that point on, you can either choose to add another gateway, add robotics, or temp archive.
2gate opening has its pros and cons, and 1gate/robo opening has its pros and cons as well, just like any other opening.

1Gate/Robo, Ob opening:
-Strong vs. 2Fac Vultures
-Weak vs. FD
-Allows to control the map(some of the map) as soon as ob comes out of robotics facility.
*FD stands for fake double, which is a new type of gundam rush where T pressures P with 6 marines, 1 tank, and mine up'd vultures, while expanding at the sametime.

2Gateway opening:
-Strong vs. FD
-Strong early dragoon push
-Weak vs. 2Fac Vultures
-Slow ob production
-Allows T to take control of the map (only if T goes 2Fac vultures)

Toss isn't my race, so that is all I know.
I'm sure AoP, and Phoenix could help you further more.

P.S.- I strongly recommend you to download replays of professional gamers and watch them carefully, watch their build orders, how they counter...etc.
P.S.#2 - Try to avoid LT games, since LT greatly favors Z, and T, try to play in maps that favor protoss like Luna.

BlizzCon reps can be downloaded from here:
http://download.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/replays/BlizzCon_Starcraft_replays.zip
thx for making me wanna play sc again :(

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
Dark Swarm makes all attacks with a range higher than 2 (I think it's 2, but I'm not sure) miss their target if the target is in the Dark Swarm. Splash damage is not negated, and neither are melee attacks or other spells.

[Koolaid]

Reaction score
Darkmatter said:

is this hard? this strategy cuz imma noob and i need help lol.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider that as a "strategy" but rather as a commen sense even though you are not going to see Hydras under darkswarm very often.

If you need help, it would probably be best for you to play lots of 1on1 games.
That is all I can say.
Also, make sure to watch tons and tons of professional gamers' replays, and play on PGTour or hang out in channels that have lots of competitive 1vs1 players.
1v1 channels for example:
East - Clan x17
Europe - Op Pg.
West - Op Cal, Op Clean
...etc.

Feel free to throw any questions if you don't get something.
And remember, there're openings for every race, and every match up so study the build orders, unit attack types, armor types, and counters...etc.

P.S.-
I could probably play 1vs1 with you, but my english is pretty short :p and I pretty much suck at teaching... or should I say explaining things.

P.S.#2-
http://www.sclegacy.com/strategy/protoss/
Make sure to visit this site, it has very basic openings and strategies for protoss, and I think it might help you a little bit.

Good luck.

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just play tons of Big Game Hunters and never use zerg you'll be fine.

[Koolaid]

Reaction score
a@... said:
I wouldn't consider that as a "strategy" but rather as a commen sense even though you are not going to see Hydras under darkswarm very often.

If you need help, it would probably be best for you to play lots of 1on1 games.
That is all I can say.
Also, make sure to watch tons and tons of professional gamers' replays, and play on PGTour or hang out in channels that have lots of competitive 1vs1 players.
1v1 channels for example:
East - Clan x17
Europe - Op Pg.
West - Op Cal, Op Clean
...etc.

Feel free to throw any questions if you don't get something.
And remember, there're openings for every race, and every match up so study the build orders, unit attack types, armor types, and counters...etc.

P.S.-
I could probably play 1vs1 with you, but my english is pretty short :p and I pretty much suck at teaching... or should I say explaining things.

P.S.#2-
http://www.sclegacy.com/strategy/protoss/
Make sure to visit this site, it has very basic openings and strategies for protoss, and I think it might help you a little bit.

Good luck.

sounds cool u got an msn or aim man?

L

Laharl

1v1 takes a lot less strategy than 4 player ffa's. I have no clue why people like it so much.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
I think 1on1 is what makes Starcraft.
Teamplay, UMS, FFA...etc. are nothing compared to one on one because they have a limit.
More limited than 1on1 I would say because they will always have similar openings, and gameplay everytime you play.
Teamplay, and 1on1 are 2 COMPLETELY different things (and FFA)
If you're a competitive 1:1 player, I suggest not to play 2:2, 3:3, or 4:4
AT ALL beacuse it will wane your 1on1 skill tremendously.

I don't know why people like 1on1, I guess it is the only thing people can play to prove to others that they're better than them. You know... stuff like "Let's settle this, just between you and me, no distractions or anything, fair and sqaure."

and [Koolaid], I recommend you to visite this site:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php
I personally think it is one of the best Starcraft forum out there.
A lot of competitive players, very active, and they're a bit unfriendly but you can deal with that.

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
A lot of competitive players, very active, and they're a bit unfriendly but you can deal with that.
Heh, I've been going there since February but I never signed up because I didn't want to screw up, :p.

I find FFA games to be incredibly boring to watch. It seems mroe to be based on luck than micromanagement and skill. 1v1 games take a lot of skill, as with most other match-ups. I'd say a 1v1 takes more strategy because you can't bank on being lucky as someone else attacks an opponent or just massing with an ally, but naturally everyone has their own opinion on that matter.