Japanese Rock

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Been listening to a long list of Japanese rock recently.

Other than the GazettE, other favourite artists include Miyavi, Versailles (RIP Jasmine You...the bassist who just passed away last month - but I absolutely love their concept) and more recently Dir En Grey and Malice Mizer.

Miyavi: Selfish Love (YouKu) Got to love his guitar skills! And him being fun is a bonus. :)
the GazettE: Filth in the Beauty (Esnips) This single is considered as a "classic" that's played in every live ever since it came out (it's the head bangs).
Versailles: Shout and Bites (Esnips)
Dir En Grey: Glass Skin (YouKu) This is more of an art video.
Malice Mizer: Bel Air (YouKu) I admit this is a weird video and a bit out of sync, but this was back in the 90s. The band is currently on infinite hiatus.

Okay, stopping here to start you guys off.

Bonus: here's the GazettE's preview for their new single Before I Decay (to be released October 7), which will be the sound track to Japan's release of The Fast and Furious movie.

Btw, if you really really really want to know (to save the asking), they're all men (including those "cute chicks" in Versailles and the gothy ones in Malice Mizer). Mana (one of the goth "chicks" in MM) is still considered to be a music legend, though he now performs under the new name Moi Dix Mois.

While we think it's weird that the men are dressed up in a lot of colourful outfits with tons of make up and mad hairstyles, keep in mind that in Japan, it's all about the overall presentation. Heck, even the sets for rock bands' lives are way more exciting than the ones set up for Lady Gaga's performances. So it won't do to just perform in t-shirts, jeans and sneakers!

We've got Mana to thank for today's visual rock bands.

Feel free to share/recommend some stuff you like.

- Amantis

MMORGHunter

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
I love the music of The Nightmare

I first heard their song when im watching the anime Death Note!

Static

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for one Dir En Grey song in particular.... I can't find it cause I know no lyrics or title.

But it ends with screaming. Always gave me goosebumps.

Tyrael

Ready Yourself
Reaction score
I remember one day you told me that one dude usually looks more like a chick.

<--Ya
<--Na (Jawline is way too square imo)

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
<---- See the avatar Tyrael? It's Mr Jawline. He looks prettier than most women when he does studio photos. Samples from the same shoot:
A
B

The others also did studio shots with Arena 37C magazine (special editions featuring something like 20 pages or so of each member), but Uruha's still the prettiest. Hahaha. I have to agree that he doesn't look as girlie as he normally does in my sig.

Static: Not sure if it's this one, but Dir En Grey: Dozing Green (Esnips) came to mind when you mentioned screaming in the end.

Generally, I'm not a major fan of Dir En Grey when it comes to the videos, but I still like their songs.

A few more...

Miyavi: Kabuki Danshi (YouKu) This is what Miyavi usually sounds like. It doesn't sound like rock, but he's still generally classified under that category. He loves collaborating with others and make his songs all fun and things.
Buck-Tick: Dress (YouKu) While I'm still fairly new to liking this band, it's actually an older group as well that's highly popular.
the GazettE: Nausea and Shudder (56.com) Taken from the Nameless Liberty Six Guns tour final live. They really know how to bring excitement to an audience. Yeah, the video's crap, but it sounds way better with the alternating left and right speakers.
the GazettE: Calm Envy (MusicPlayOn) This still is one of my favourite slows. Taken from Repeated Countless Error tour final live. It's even better watching them perform this one rather than just listen to it.
Miyavi: Live in Texas (TuDou) Taken from a live that he did in Texas in April 2009. A compilation of what he's like in a live. Can't wait til he does that much anticipated world tour. :)

Edit: Adding last one before I leave for now. Warning: High gore content and disturbing images Dir En Grey: Obscure (MusicPlayOn) Main reason why I don't like Dir En Grey's videos - some of their videos are a bit too ick for a 5am watch. I'd rather just listen to the pieces if I could help it. LOL.

- Amantis

MMORGHunter

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Thats unfortunate for you static, anyway im having same problem too, sometimes when i heared a jrock music i cant understand anything but i love the music, but the problem is i cant understand the lyrics and i dont know what was the band name, i usually hear it from anime themes.

Tristam

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
girugamesh!
LOL oh god~ i dunt wanna remember that crap (if youre talking about that weird guy saying it) LOL :3 but if youre talking about THE band Girugamesh then its ok, i love those guys~

as obvious as it may seem, i love listening to JRock expecially The GazettE...so me and Amantis have something in common..

cant wait to get my Gazerock Fest 2k8 copy~:heart:

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Cheeze: Girugamesh is good in rock mixed with techno. But I'm not a big fan of their videos.

Girugamesh - Break Down (YouKu) This is typical of Girugamesh's style. Very anime though. LOL.
Girugamesh - Vermillion (YouKu)
Alice Nine - Rainbows (56.com) Alice Nine is another band worth mentioning. They're more of the "dance floor rock", a bit like what you could probably find in clubs.
Alice Nine - Sleepwalker (YouKu) I like the video's concept. Not exactly the storytelling style that some of the other groups do, but they do put the visual as a priority.
Miyavi - Senor Senora Senorita (YouKu) Miyavi's fun. As always. His fake mustache always makes me crack up.
Versailles - The Revenant Choir (YouKu) The video's a bit long, but I love the story telling feel (a bit like Michael Jackson's mini movies), even if the English lyrics don't really make sense. Hahahaha.
the GazettE - Burial Applicant (TuDou) The morbidity of the video is epic...

Static: If you know that the song came from an anime, you could do a search on the anime's opening/ending themes with the episode number. You might be able to come across the song titles that way.

Tristam: My order for the Nameless Liberty Six Guns and Decomposition Beauty lives is coming this week. Along with it is my Stacked Rubbish CD. :D

- Amantis

Tristam

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Tristam: My order for the Nameless Liberty Six Guns and Decomposition Beauty lives is coming this week. Along with it is my Stacked Rubbish CD. :D

- Amantis
D: i envy youuuu~