Halo for PC!

BH_Naft

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This is a Public Service Announcement, made for the good of all mankind:

Halo for PC . . . .

For all of you who have played the XBOX hit (what I beleive to be the one game that made xbox successful) Halo, it will soon be coming out of the beloved PC, with two new weapons--a covenant grenade launcher, and a flamethrower--plus 3 "new" multiplayer vehicles--multiplayer available banshees and shades, and a warthog with mounted 3-barrel rocket launcher-- and 2+ additional levels! Not only is it Halo, but it is being converted by the Gearbox Software we all know and love from games like Half-life and Counter-Strike.

a quote from the official FAQ:

Q Will Halo for the PC support online multiplayer gaming? How many people can play at once?
A Heck yeah! The PC version of Halo will allow up to 16 people to go head-to-head in all of your favorite Halo gametypes - Slayer, CTF, Oddball, Race, etc..

5/29/2003 10:03 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q So what's new in the PC version of Halo?
A There are several new features being added to Halo that will greatly enhance the multiplayer experience. The core of the single player campaign (the story line, cinematics, scripts, music/sounds, AI, physics, etc..) is being faithfully translated for the PC with everything you would expect from a PC game (hi res graphics, mouse/keyboard support, Creative 5.1 EAX support, etc..)

5/29/2003 10:04 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q What is the Fuel Rod Gun?
A The Fuel Rod Gun is a multiplayer PC exclusive weapon that is of Covenant origin. It's an arching, lob-type weapon that is somewhat like a grenade launcher. Its firepower is roughly on par with the rocket launcher but it gives players the ability to shoot over obstacles and defenses. The re-fire rate is fairly quick but the gun is prone to overheating after extended use.

5/29/2003 10:05 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q What is the deal with the Flamethrower?
A Currently, Gearbox is working to include the Flamethrower for the multiplayer modes of Halo for PC. We haven't announced whether it will in fact make it into the final game just yet. As always, keep checking back at Bungie.net for the latest developments.

5/29/2003 10:06 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q Will the new maps, vehicles, and weapons be available in the single player campaign?
A No. All of the new elements are exclusive to multiplayer only.

5/29/2003 10:07 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q Are there any other changes to the game?
A One cool additional element is a refined 'custom gametype' interface that gives users much more control over how the game will spawn various weapons and vehicles. Want to give the red team 1 Scorpion and the blue team 2 Banshees and a Warthog? Now you can. In addition to setting the specific quantities, you can also manipulate the re-spawn timer.

5/29/2003 10:08 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q Can gamers on the PC version of Halo play with Xbox gamers over XB Connect or some other method?
A No, each version of Halo will only work with its own kind.

5/29/2003 10:09 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q What about co-op play? Can two people play cooperatively through the single player campaign via the Internet?
A Right now, the primary focus is to make the multiplayer experience the best it can possibly be. A co-op feature has not been announced yet but stay tuned to Bungie.net for the latest developments as the game nears final release.

5/29/2003 10:09 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q What new mutliplayer elements are being added?
A First off, the networking code is being rewritten to take full advantage of the internet by allowing 16 players to connect and compete in any of the original Halo gametypes.

To make things even better, there will be several new exclusive multiplayer maps.

If you're like the rest of the Halo population who has always longed to fly a Banshee in a multiplayer match, your time has come. Halo for the PC will not only offer players a chance pilot Banshees in their multiplayer games but the Covenant Shade will also be available for the first time outside the single player campaign.

To top things off, Gearbox has added new weapons to the mix. The Fuel Rod Gun is a definite and yes, the rumors are somewhat true, the Flamethrower is currently planned as well. Stay tuned to Bungie.net for the latest developments on these and any other features that are announced.

5/29/2003 10:10 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q What new maps were shown at E3? How many more will there be in the final game?
A The two multiplayer maps playable at E3 were "Timberland" and "Gephyrophobia." Timberland is an outdoor expansive environment with rolling hills, winding paths, an abundance of trees and a pristine waterfall feading a meandering stream. This idyll landscape makes an excellent backdrop for maximum carnage!

Gephyrophobia, which means a "fear of bridges", takes its inspiration from the Halo single-player campaign. Wide open spaces bordered with sheer cliffs and bridges spanning gaping chasms provide a perilous combat theater for snipers and furious Banshee dogfights!

Several more maps will be added before the games final release so check back with Bungie.net for the latest scoop.

5/29/2003 10:12 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q Will bots be available in multiplayer games?
A No, computer controlled bots are not being added to the PC version of Halo. However, up to sixteen real-life opponents can participate in multiplayer mayhem over a LAN or the Internet.

5/29/2003 10:13 AM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q New vehicles!?
A Yes, there is one brand new Halo multiplayer exclusive vehicle in addition to the inclusion of the Banshee and Shade.

The new vehicle is the Rocket Launcher Warthog that was playable at E3. This vehicle handles like its machinegun counterpart but provides a more effective way of dispatching enemy vehicles thanks to its triple-barrelled rocket launcher.

6/4/2003 1:53 PM PDT, by SketchFactor
Q Will there be a playable demo? When will it be available? Will it be available for download?
A There will be a playable demo available for download shortly after the game is released.
Interested? Visit www.gearboxsoftware.com/projects_halo.html for more information

Final Warrior

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.harkkonnen.com
So it's got multiplay... have you even considered the lag? First Try playing Morrowind on your PC. Notice how bad the graphics are (unless you have the RheddHeads mod). Notice the lag. I have a 128 MB NVIDIA video card (don't know what make). And there's still lag in towns. Now think about Halo game graphics. If your PC doesn't blow from the graphics overload, you are one lucky idiot (no offense). It's cheaper to get an XBox (retail price: $179) and Halo (retail price: $50). Than to get Halo for the PC and a new video card. And it is possible to play Halo online on the XBox. I just forgot how.

BH_Naft

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ok, first thing, if you are even thinking of playing fps games online without broadband, you should be rethinking. with broadband, there wont be lag problems.

i beg to differ. i have morrowind on a 64mb geforce 4 mx 440 (your card is likely a tl 4600, considerably better), and i can get infinitly better graphics with aa and af, and no frame rate problems(plus no damn reflective water). you obviously know little (no offense either) about computer graphics tweaking/etc. (or, you have very little ram(esp with Win XP))

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i used to play delta force land warrior and ghost recon on my 56k before i got cable and it was fine. ive never played morrowind on the internet, but im getting halo for computer when it comes out. internet games are a lot easier to use with a computer and i doub it will be too bad with graphics and lag.

AxL

Buggin' Out
Reaction score
Originally posted by Final Warrior
So it's got multiplay... have you even considered the lag? First Try playing Morrowind on your PC. Notice how bad the graphics are (unless you have the RheddHeads mod). Notice the lag. I have a 128 MB NVIDIA video card (don't know what make). And there's still lag in towns. Now think about Halo game graphics. If your PC doesn't blow from the graphics overload, you are one lucky idiot (no offense). It's cheaper to get an XBox (retail price: $179) and Halo (retail price: $50). Than to get Halo for the PC and a new video card. And it is possible to play Halo online on the XBox. I just forgot how.
If you have a 56k that may be why..

Anyway. Would you rather buy a system that you will only play one game on? Or will you buy a new video card that will help your computer alot. Hmm tough choice here.. NOT.

Final Warrior

Reaction score
Website
www.harkkonnen.com
Damn it, I have DSL! And I got reflective water. How come you don't? And I have real-time shadows on, too...

IDefy

Reaction score
first im going to buy it

then im going to take the disk out

then im going to turn on the stove

then im going to watch it melt and laugh

edit: thats just a lame waste of money... so im just going to lite an empty box on fire and any store that decides to carry the items. cept EB

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Okay...

1 I'd only do that if someone were stupid enough to give me such a sorry game in the first place.
2 Why waste money on it?
3 Let's let the Halo fans have their fun. I'll stick to my games that actually have a real story to them.

This sounds like it would be another plus for the PC market and another minus for the XBox marked. I know I'm not going to buy it, let alone play it, but I do have a question. Will online be free? I only see online as worth it if it is free. I will play certain games online for a fee, but the are limited to these so far:

Phantasy Star Online (GC)
Phantasy Star Online C.A.R.D. (GC)
Star Wars: Galaxies (PC)
Earth and Beyond (PC)

If you take note, those are all RPG.

In any case, my only addition to the actual topic at hand is the previously asked question:
Will online be free?

Final Warrior

Reaction score
Website
www.harkkonnen.com
If you'd actually play Halo, you'd see quite a good story in it. There's also a book that precedes the game it called "The Rise of the" something. I can't remember the name. And the book also gives details on what Master Chief truely is... not just a Spartan 2 cyborg, but something else...

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
From what I've seen, Halo does have a storyline, not a good one. I've also heard from fans that the story mode is easier than beating a boss on GS with the Flash and Shade strat. Most only play it for the mindless bloodshed of the FPS mutlti-player. I don't like FPS in general because, for the most part, they have a dull, uninspired storyline. There is hardly any strat in an FPS, just go for the headshot form a safe location that few, if any, can see you from.

If you're wondering, I have played Halo on XBLive on a friends XBox. I fragged all the people on there twice before I was fragged. It was painfully easy to beat people as a complete newb to any map, and many of them were so-called "experts". Then again, that was 8-10 months ago when I played.

But you avoided my one and only question of concern.
Will online be free?

bart

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.simpson.com
most of thge computers want be fast enough for halo and if it does go the web the it will lag even some the least graphic games lag like age of empires imange what halo will be like

TiberianSun

Member!
Reaction score
Website
yahoo.com
i knew halo was comeing for pc a long timago BUT I CANT WAIT im so happy i dint buy an Xbox ps Nvidia Fx 5900 is the top of the line card not even radeons new cards beat it so if your buying a new card thats the one (get 256 ram on it and itl be a juce sucker) lol Halflife2 will Glide with it

<><CoRwIn><>

Member!
Reaction score
Website
groups.msn.com
Ehm...

Not that hard to make a desicion not to buy this crap game. I played Halo on my friend's X-Box all the time, beat it around fourty-six times, then got bored of it. The only point of playing that game is listening to the satisfatory cry of Covenent death-screams.

The multiplayer won't have bots, but it will have new weapons and all that sort. PAH! Halo is far from a tactical standpoint, it makes you incredibly trigger-happy, and the only good way to play it is if there's a full tray of baddies waiting for you to blow em down.

The co-op mode of Halo was the only good multiplayer way to go. Which is far from saying "Oh, let's all get warm and fuzzy and kill all the bad guys together!" No, I'm talkin about making full use of the levels, going everything from getting your enemies to fire at your 'Friend', blasting them out of their banshees with anti-personel turrets and having boxing matches with elites (always fun to see who's last man standing)

If they don't want to put the new stuff in single-player/co-op, they might as well not release it, just make a multiplayer stand-alone to take down the price, especially if they're going to charge for internet multiplayer.

I'll be content waiting on Halo 2.

Personally, though, I don't believe games were made to have good storylines. I mean, hell, if the plot pulls you into it, so be it, but I really enjoy a game, like Halo, where it's the gameplay that actually makes it worthwhile.
Then again, some games only survive because they have good storylines.
word up.

BH_Naft

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Final Warrior
Damn it, I have DSL! And I got reflective water. How come you don't? And I have real-time shadows on, too...
i havent played morrowind in a while, so im not sure what setting gives me real water, but i will check that out and get back to you.....
your lag could be caused by slow/overloaded servers, esp if filled with people on dialup.

plus there is a difference between processer "lag" (framerate) and online "lag"(ping times)

bart, you must have like a 14.4k modem if age of empires is lagging. and any computer worth a name today can beat the xbox in quality (just not price)

the online for halo will be free....the only pc games you have to pay to play onling are mmo games (planetside, everquest, etc).
If you take note, those are all RPG.
yes, MMOrpg.

I fragged all the people on there twice before I was fragged. It was painfully easy to beat people as a complete newb to any map, and many of them were so-called "experts"
due to halo's gameplay type, killing 2 people before you die can be very easy. oftentimes when you come upon people there will be others fireing at them at the same time, killing half of them for you, but you get the last bullet(chances are the person youre shooting killed the other guy and didnt have enought health then to kill you). being a "good" player in halo means getting killtaculars(4 kills 5 secs apart) and killing sprees(5 w/o dying)(an expert player gets double kiltaculars(8 kills 5 secs apart and running riots(10 w/o dying), not killing 2 people before you die

im assuming the reason you all think they will charge for multiplayer is because of xbox live.....even with xbox live you dont pay for individual games(fps at least)(unless they are mmo's like phantasy star and SWG), you just pay 50 a year for the service.

i cant make any of you who hate halo like it any more, but to those of us who enjoy it, it is an excellent game, and we will welcome it to pc.

dice5_5

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Halo for the PC....who cares. Halo was the only reason people got excited over the X-Box, and not that it's coming to PC what's the point of buying a X-Box???? All you X-Box lovers can sell your X-Boxes and games cause there's no reason to play it anymore.

X-Box :shoot