DOTA Dota Beginner Tips

predatortt

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
A few tips I have learn over months of playing dota.
1. Do not autoattack in your lane ever!!! Move around with your mouse and last hit/deny. When you're autoattacking, you're pushing the lane and getting closer to your enemy base, therefore giving your enemies a easier chance to gank your lane.

2. Item builds- Many new dota players buy the wrong items or get the wrong skills for their hero. Use dotastrategy.com/list_strategies.html to get free hero guides on every hero.

3. Coordinate with your teammates. Try to avoid arguments with your teammates as it will not help you win the game.

4. You should always have a scroll of tp with you as you can tp back to base or tower to defend it with your teammates.

5. When choosing your hero, take your allies' hero choice into considersation. For an example, if your teammates ardy picked 3 melee and 1 range. You should probably get a range.

nokie100

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Lol. just like in the title. these tips are for beginners! hahaha. no offense ^_^

James212

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
5th tip is bad.

You pick your hero based on what would counter the enemy or what would support your team more. If your team was NA Abbadon ES Zeus you wouldnt pick like travex or something you would pick something like Tide so you can AoE stun with NA and burst with ES and Zeus.

Anyways here are some tips:

1. Don't get boots first. Only on RARE occasions you get boots first(you got to know what you are doing first)

2.Play AP and not EM. AP = real dota because EM cancels out many int heros.

3.DO NOT argue with the other team. Wastes time and just makes problems worse.

4. If you want to backdoor DO IT. Do not worry about what others think. Backdooring is legal and it always has been.

Last tip:

NEVER cheat.

Imoverthere

Member!
Reaction score
What champs are considerably new-player friendly? I've tried Sven before and he's alright, though guides I've read says he's more played as a support.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
Well, they're called "heroes" in DotA for one.

Sven is great for a new player and yes, he is typically played as a support/initiator. Tidehunter is another great, relatively simple hero that fulfills the same role.

Crystal Maiden and Venomancer are both relatively simple heroes on more of a hard support/babysitter role.

Most carries and solo-lane heroes are quite a lot more difficult, as farming is considerably harder than in LoL. Though if I had to recommend some easier ones, I'd say Phantom Assassin or Bloodseeker.

yellowbran

Reaction score
Number 2 should be change, item are subjective to a players play style, also on what role they want to play.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
What champs are considerably new-player friendly? I've tried Sven before and he's alright, though guides I've read says he's more played as a support.
Supports like Crystal Maiden, Lich and Venomancer are easy pick ups. Drow Ranger and Skeleton King are easy pick ups as well