BattleForums suggestion thread.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
The grey being the variety, the people that bring a not-so-loved zing to BattleForums, which helps make us so unique.

Also, we would lose members and popularity among members if we dropped the Asylum, if members did stay, they would vent their anger in unwanted places...Chit-Chat, gaming forums, which is exactly where we don't want it, thats why we have the Asylum.

Heh... good post Renzo ;)
So you do love me! Yay!

Maverick

To Punish and Enslave..
Reaction score
Website
www.friendster.com
Please do remember Rage that this is a forum not an office. We may be moderators but we still have the priviledge like any other members here. And that is to post and have fun. Yes modding is a job but let's not forget how we got here in the first place. We didn't go here to be mods but to get information, interact with other people, have fun and support the forums. And taking out a very useful forum is not being supportive.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
Well in that case I have a new suggestion....

Moderators shouldn't be known. We all know who we are... we all have access to the staff forum, why do the members need to know who the moderators are? Why do our post counts have to reflect how good of a moderator we are or how active we are and why should our names have to carry the weight of "moderator" behind them. Maybe the reason that I don't support the asylum is that I feel I can't take full advantage of it. Where if I didn't have the title "Senior Moderator" following me around, I could bash anyone I wanted and say anything that I wanted without having to feel the reprocussion of "Silynt rage is Ghey, they should remove him from his position" ... and things of that nature. We'd all still be legitamate members, but we'd still have our position.

How's that sound?

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
It's ok, but i think the members have a right to know who the moderators are. They need to know to report posts and consult them on issues other members can't handle.

Oh, and your title says "Senior Moderator" and if you want to implement your suggestion, why not change it ;)

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
What gives them the right to know who the moderators are? and why can't moderators just be moderators? you can still report a post to a person and consult them on an issue without knowing exactly who they are... kind of like what SmarterChild is to AOL instant messenger.... the moderator could be a single person or many people, or it could be a bot... they'd never know...

Originally posted by: Renzokuken
Oh, and your title says "Senior Moderator" and if you want to implement your suggestion, why not change it

are you suggesting I resign?

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Originally posted by Silynt Rage
What gives them the right to know who the moderators are? and why can't moderators just be moderators?
Then that would be immoral. I think we need to let the members know (which they do), that they are just important as us in BF. I don't think we should shut ourselves off.

Having Battle Staff exempt of members is fine. But anything more i think is wrong. (Opinion)

you can still report a post to a person and consult them on an issue without knowing exactly who they are... kind of like what SmarterChild is to AOL instant messenger.... the moderator could be a single person or many people, or it could be a bot... they'd never know...
But the thing is...over a 1000 already know! Only the new members would know and they could find out from the other members. I'd be difficult to even do what your suggesting.

are you suggesting I resign?
No, not at all, i think your essential to the moderating buisness. I'm just saying that you change your title to...lets say..."Super Trooper" or whatever you want. Because your saying, lets not let the people know of our stature among the BF community.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
But the thing is...over a 1000 already know! Only the new members would know and they could find out from the other members. I'd be difficult to even do what your suggesting.
Well just like any other change on the forum there is going to be an adjustment period, it's just that this one is going to be longer. Plus as you said I fear that some of the members on the board come to us because they don't think that the other members will react well to what they have to say.... I think if we all acted the same way we do and they came to us, it might establish a trust between members that we haven't had yet. So maybe they wouldn't rely on the right answer from the moderators ALL THE TIME.

No, not at all, i think your essential to the moderating buisness. I'm just saying that you change your title to...lets say..."Super Trooper" or whatever you want. Because your saying, lets not let the people know of our stature among the BF community.
I can do that, but anyone can still go to the "Forum leaders" page and look up any moderator. Personally I think the only known moderator should be the administrator. MAYBE the staff members. But really the rest of us aren't much more than members with the power to move threads around... so why acknowledge what little power we have to the members?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Well in that case I have a new suggestion....

Moderators shouldn't be known. We all know who we are... we all have access to the staff forum, why do the members need to know who the moderators are? Why do our post counts have to reflect how good of a moderator we are or how active we are and why should our names have to carry the weight of "moderator" behind them. Maybe the reason that I don't support the asylum is that I feel I can't take full advantage of it. Where if I didn't have the title "Senior Moderator" following me around, I could bash anyone I wanted and say anything that I wanted without having to feel the reprocussion of "Silynt rage is Ghey, they should remove him from his position" ... and things of that nature. We'd all still be legitamate members, but we'd still have our position.

How's that sound?
Well, first of all, this isn't a super ultra secret corporation with intentions of world domination. It's just an internet forum. A good one, all hail BattleForums.com, but it is just an internet forum.

And, if one doesn't have the courage (I wanted to use another word, but I'm not sure and it can be offensive) to handle those flames for what he believes, then that one shouldn't be in a important position. You are handing it pretty well, I believe, nonetheless.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
It's not about not being able to handle the flames, it's about being able to flame. Anyone on the forum can say what they want but the moment I stop on the playing field I get smeared with Criticism for being of higher stature and should be more mature.

For the most part I believe I've done a good job, I just don't understand what it is a "RIGHT" for them to know who runs the place.... how is it a "RIGHT"?

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Well, they are members of a forum, why not let them know? And as what Tronga said, we aren't the CIA or some other secret organisation, we are just an internet forum. We don't need to hide everything lock & key.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
...I don't know why I suggest anything anymore...

if I do it gets shot down

if I defend it, I'm an asshole.

If I suggest a trial period, I don't get it, but we'll get a trial counterstrike forum.

What do I have to do around here to get an idea passed????

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
I come up with good ideas... that are a worthwhile idea that caters to every forumer... unfortunately they're never given the opportunity to prove it.

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
This is an off the wall idea, that may break a forum rule, so take it with a grain of salt.

If a mod feels he wants to go into the asylum and do a bit of flaming.... why not a second account?
I know it would break a rule.
The mod should keep his alter ego a secret to all, to save people from saying "it's just Renzo traveling in stealth mode again".
And, as long as the mod didn't do anything major to where his alter ego would be in need of an IP ban, would it really be such a bad thing?

This is not an invitation to go out and get multiple accounts, only a possible suggestion.

Reaction score
Website
www.cold-xero.com
Hey cort admitted he had a second account would it be so bad it some of the mods did as well?

** Alright I have a suggestion to add. We need to find someone who knows Jed to help me in the bots and editors. I know d2jsp pretty well but ive never used jed. even though most of the questions are about d2jsp, there are people who need help with jed and no one is there to provide it.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Suggestions? HA!

2 things,
first, removed or merge the asylum with the void. It is pretty much the exact same now.

second, merge the AS with chitchat, and maybe even the entertainemtn forum.

"Intelegent" conversations my ass, it is a waste of space, and i have to search through 3 forums to get something I like.

If you complain that threads in chitchat go off topic, then just get the mods to split the off topic, or start a new thread. simple.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
ha... I think everyone knows I'm with pan. How come Chrisuk never enters these threads? he's the only one I think that can overpower corts decision NOT to merge them.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
Can I suggest that we get rid of the number of views per thread?

does anyone really use it? and what is the difference in wether or not a thread is popular... why should you not enter a thread due to the fact that other people haven't? I like seeing how many posts there are in a thread, but I could care less about how many views...

that's just something that has annoyed me that I think should change...