BattleForums suggestion thread.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Well, I think this one should be stickyed, in order to allow everyone that posts here to give a little suggestion that they remember. In order to do so, I suggest that you post some, and everytime you remember a little something, just come here and edit your post.

Oh, and remember, if a user gives you a tip, then, no matter how stupid it is, post it here. And try to give the user that gave that tip. Oh, and no matter how stupids your suggestion are as well ;)

Anyway:

By TrongaMonga:
  • Private Message preview.
  • Get a new emoticon, that would mean this :/ (and I don't mean angry, I mean... I don't know the word in english :()
  • Somehow change the priority of :) Like in (Cort is a toilet licker :rolleyes:)
  • Update the rules on the annoucements, the rules by SkuZZy regarding signatures and bumping threads aren't updated.

By users:
  • Minsc: heres a tip , you menu links should be a little bit brighter , u can barely see them

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
*mods should be able to

- make longer thread names
- put color into thread names
- bump threads without posting (maybe for stickies)
*stickies should be able to be in a certain order (that cant be broken by replies)

*double posting shouldnt be possible at all, screw attachment spammers :D

*it shouldnt be possible to reply to topics that are on page 3 and higher

thats what i got for now

3000 posts yay :D

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
The Roll Eyes emoticon has been updated to include both : rolleyes, and :roll eyes: (spaces left out of course). I recommend using the first one without a : at the end to prevent other smileys from taking priority, unless your intent is to use two smileys side by side. If there are any other issues like that in the future, please let me know and I'll correct them.

Anything I haven't addressed in this reply means it hasn't been taken care of, and I'll be looking into having it addressed.

As for your other forum suggestions that would affect the overall running of different controls, all hacks and mods for vBulletin (that are safe, and functional), can be located at this site:

http://www.vbulletin.org/hacks/index.php?

If you'd like to search there for something that matches what you think could help out the forums in general, feel free to post links to whatever hacks you find useful.

The signature restriction hack that now allows admins to limit how many lines and images per signature was actually found there by Placebo, who gave me the URL to the hack description.

Enjoy!

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
In light of my situation the past few days... I think rule #1 in the announcement thread should either be modified, or should be acknowledged by the members and moderators of this forum

originally posted by: Skuzzy

- Do NOT post degrading messages about other users. Any abusive language towards other users and/or moderators MUST be posted in the "Flaming / Bitching" forum. This rule is NOT just for new threads, but it is also for replies. If you have something bad to say about a thread, tough luck. Don't post a reply in it and ruin it for other people. Users who abuse this rule will have their posts deleted and they will be banned.
Since I percieve rule number 2 to be an extension of rule number one I think we should enforce that as well.

originally posted by: Skuzzy
- The moderators and staff are not forum janitors... they are not here to move your posts for you. Users who continually post messages in incorrect forums will be removed.

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I propose these:
  • The pink void once again (uh...no, you don't have to take me seriously on this one ;))
  • A few rule enforcements about appropriate avatars and sigatars
  • A slightly larger quick reply box

That's it from me so far. I'll colour my new ones in white the next time I've got ideas.

- Amantis

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
Why do we have the Asylum still?

admittedly I have been the subject of most of the threads in there as of recent... but if you look, every other thread has content that says "you're gay, no you're ghey" or some random piece of conversation that just ups their post count. It's stupid... it really is... why do we have this forum around... how many of you opposed to eliminating the asylum have actually spent any significant amount of time in there????

Maverick

To Punish and Enslave..
Reaction score
Website
www.friendster.com
I don't spend time in the Asylum but I should ask you to think about eliminating it Rage. Just imagine if you do take it out. All the flaming would spread around the forums. Everywhere there would be a You're gay line in every forums. It would be chaos. The purpose of the Asylum is to contain all the flaming and rage inside one forum.

l33t 0n3

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
<marquee behavior="alternate" bgcolor="255000000" width="700">Please allow HTML in fanfic!</marquee>

so we can have catchy titles, it seems to work on a lotta forums >:D

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
Mav, my opinion why condone it at all? so we have to pick up the pace with our modding but so what? Eventually it'll settle out and people will realize that flaming is un-acceptable.

just like other changes we've made...

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Could we all shutup about moving/merging Forums for one freaking day! Argh! You little whiny bitches, shutup about it for gods sake and lets concentrate on other things, such as:

• Mods can have an ability to change the colour of the word Sticky so it stands out more, hell, i don't even read Stickies anymore :rolleyes:

Heh, that's it, but that is all i would like done at the moment. And i totally agree with what Tronga suggested.

Originally posted by Silynt Rage
Mav, my opinion why condone it at all? so we have to pick up the pace with our modding but so what? Eventually it'll settle out and people will realize that flaming is un-acceptable.

just like other changes we've made...
BattleForums would lose that variety it has. We don't want to turn into BlizzForums now do we? ;)

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i spend alot of time in the asylum and its a fun place, no need to get rid of it.
and forged, thx for searching it for me :D , with the other point i meant threads which are on page 3 of that forum, so they cant be bumped.

Maverick

To Punish and Enslave..
Reaction score
Website
www.friendster.com
I agree with Kor here. I don't post there but I do browse there a lot. I think the forum like Asylum is useful and it is essential to every Bulletin Board there is. It let's people show their emotions. Well anger specifically.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with any debate going on in this thread, but why is everyone so concerned about being compared with Blizz forums and how much we'd look like them? they will never be us, and we will never be them.

We have different administration, we have a diablo section, and we support hacks, and you know what? even though they don't support hacks, Blizzard is not affiliated with them. Again, I have to bring up the fact that everyone got here because of our gaming forum, not because of our Asylum or any part of our general forum for that matter. What anger needs to be vented...? it just churns up issues throughout the board and elongates what anger a member might have towards another one, as to where if a mod got into a thread and edited it and said something like

You two better knock it off and straighten up, if I see this in another thread, wether it be in my forum or not, I will report it to cortalos and see that you two take a weeks vacation from the board - Rage

...then close the thread. I can really see how much effort that is, I can really see how hard it would be to do that. Actually, the hard part would be convincing cort that these two need to level out the friction and by doing so they need to be banned for a week.

Like I said, after a while, people just wouldn't bother flaming other people for one of two reasons... one, they'd fear banning or two... a mod would be on it and there wouldn't be a chance for a response...

so again, this brings me back to the point I once brought up...

Lazy modding????

*sigh*

~RaGe~

Maverick

To Punish and Enslave..
Reaction score
Website
www.friendster.com
It's not lazy modding. You're right about people come here because of the Gaming forums. But most people stay in the General forums where they could fool around and have fun discussion different topics. We can't force them to go back posting to the Gaming forums if they don't want to. Asylum is a part of the BF and it has its use. We do edit flaming and we are doing the best we can to keep the forums clean. Like Foot said, the Asylum is like a toilet where you can release what is needed to be released. Now if you take out the toilet out of your house where would you go? To the corner of your room? To your backyard? Maybe you can but after that you might wanna clean it up and put it away. I don't see why Asylum needs to go. Why do you think so Rage? I mean what is your main and the heaviest reason why it should be removed?

l33t 0n3

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by l33t_0n3
<marquee behavior="alternate" bgcolor="255000000" width="700">Please allow HTML in fanfic!</marquee>

so we can have catchy titles, it seems to work on a lotta forums >:D
oh yes I forgot, usually music to set the tune of a story could help >:D

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with any debate going on in this thread, but why is everyone so concerned about being compared with Blizz forums and how much we'd look like them? they will never be us, and we will never be them.
It was a joke joyce. Besides, they are drones, if we get rid of the Asylum we are only becoming more like drones.

What anger needs to be vented...? it just churns up issues throughout the board and elongates what anger a member might have towards another one, as to where if a mod got into a thread and edited it and said something like
Well, if anyone is pissed, like you ;) You would look to the Asylum to vent it. If you wanted to.

You two better knock it off and straighten up, if I see this in another thread, wether it be in my forum or not, I will report it to cortalos and see that you two take a weeks vacation from the board - Rage
Shouldn't things like that be kept to PMs?

Like I said, after a while, people just wouldn't bother flaming other people for one of two reasons... one, they'd fear banning or two... a mod would be on it and there wouldn't be a chance for a response...
We would lose members, even though he may be a jerk, it brings variety, which i think everyone deep down likes here. Without it, it'd be a pretty boring site. Instead of 4 hours surfing it, i'd spend 2 or 1.

so again, this brings me back to the point I once brought up...

Lazy modding????

*sigh*

~RaGe~
I'm not trying to sound lazy here, but if we put so much effort into moderating, we wouldn't be posting. Unless we want a million moderators :rolleyes: Besides, your not the best moderator here yourself.

PS> I'd like to say that i'm not trying to hint that i dislike you. You are variety yourself, which everyone needs. You just keep bringing up issues we don't need.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renzokuken

I'm not trying to sound lazy here, but if we put so much effort into moderating, we wouldn't be posting. Unless we want a million moderators :rolleyes: Besides, your not the best moderator here yourself.
[/B]
Wow... no offense renzo.... but you just contradicted yourself completely in saying that. "if we put so much effort into moderating, we wouldn't be posting" in particular... perhaps you need to look at when my join date was and how many posts I've had during that time... and then we'll look at your join date and see how many posts you've had since then...

then we'll punch those numbers into your little formula of "Besides your not the best moderator here yourself" with the "I'm not trying to sound lazy here, but if we put so much effort into moderating we wouldn't be posting."

You may not have wanted to sound lazy, but you definately proved it in saying that. The way I figure is that you just confirmed I put a lot of effort into moderating, therefor my post count is low. I may not be the best moderator here, but I try my hardest to do what I think will help the forum, and I don't see flaming as one of those things that benefits the forum. Sorry. I'm a moderator for a reason, it's not a stature thing, it's a job. It's not a privledge, but I enjoy doing it. If you want to think I suck at modding, that's fine, but don't talk to me about it, talk to swooper about me sucking at it.

I retired from being a moderator while Placebo was here... the reason why I came back was only because swooper asked me, because I'm way more active than he is and I was reporting posts left and right of things that should be moved here and there after I retired. Currently I'm trying to get a new color format for the Warcraft forums and trying to change some of the banners that we have there. I'm also organizing weekly meetings on b.net of forum members in the WC forum.

So whatever, I don't know what you do or who appointed you the position that makes you so special to be the judge of who is a good or bad moderator.

Back on topic

What is the purpose of extending arguements throughout the board? why keep breeding/brewing hostility between members? The perfect example was the whole l33t thing this past week... it's really a bit degrading towards moderators, it kind of says "fine, you locked us up from bitching at each other in the chit chat (or whatever forum may apply) so we'll just beat each other up here" I Don't see the purpose there... the moderators/staff members and adminstration should have the last word. If you don't like it, get out... it's not a democracy and it's not tyrannical to say such a thing, it's just a flat out acceptace that we don't support flaming and that's as simple as that. There is a difference in venting and flaming.

Venting is venting because your boss just yelled at you, or you and your girlfriend got in an arguement Venting to me is a valid and acceptable thing that could be in the chit chat forum, but flaming is deliberate insults to other members... and it's serious insults it's not like what cort does where he just busts balls in a post...

Originally posted by: Renzokuken
Well, if anyone is pissed, like you You would look to the Asylum to vent it. If you wanted to.
I'm a moderator... I don't have the luxery of flaming in the asylum any longer.

Originally posted by: Renzokuken
Shouldn't things like that be kept to PMs?
what difference does it make? that's not what pissed people off, it was my pm that was posted in his goodbye thread, the only person it seems to have pissed off is you, but now that you've posted it I could see Savage or L33t coming out and saying that it pissed them off too... among other moderators...

here's to your PS:
You're right, I am bringing up issues we don't need... the asylum is an issue and we dont' need it. I'd like to say I'm not trying to hint that I don't like you, I'm going to tell you flat out that I don't, Captain Oblivious.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
You may not have wanted to sound lazy, but you definately proved it in saying that. The way I figure is that you just confirmed I put a lot of effort into moderating, therefor my post count is low.
That is very generalised. Besides, i became a moderator in late February, other than that, i was just another member who posted alot, so there's your answer!

I may not be the best moderator here, but I try my hardest to do what I think will help the forum, and I don't see flaming as one of those things that benefits the forum. Sorry. I'm a moderator for a reason, it's not a stature thing, it's a job. It's not a privledge, but I enjoy doing it.
Don't imply that i flame for kicks, because i don't!

If you want to think I suck at modding, that's fine, but don't talk to me about it, talk to swooper about me sucking at it.
I personally don't care if you suck at moderating. Warcraft Forums isn't my area, i have visited it two times in my time at BF. And if Swooper thinks you suck, then he will strip you of your job, but as far as i know, he hasn't, so you obviously know how to do your job. Same with me, Crookedfoot thinks i've done a great job moderating, so he has kept me on. We are on the same boat here!

So whatever, I don't know what you do or who appointed you the position that makes you so special to be the judge of who is a good or bad moderator.
Actually coRtALoS appointed me, and Crookedfoot maintained me. I'm not saying your a hopeless moderator, i never said that, stop shoving words in my mouth! All i was saying is, your not perfect at modding, either am i. No one is.

What is the purpose of extending arguements throughout the board? why keep breeding/brewing hostility between members? The perfect example was the whole l33t thing this past week... it's really a bit degrading towards moderators, it kind of says "fine, you locked us up from bitching at each other in the chit chat (or whatever forum may apply) so we'll just beat each other up here" I Don't see the purpose there... the moderators/staff members and adminstration should have the last word. If you don't like it, get out... it's not a democracy and it's not tyrannical to say such a thing, it's just a flat out acceptace that we don't support flaming and that's as simple as that. There is a difference in venting and flaming.
Yes, l33t's thread was out of place, but he wasn't a moderator for very long before that, he doesn't know all the ropes, besides, he never asked to be a moderator.
Also, this is the first time i know of, that a moderator has gone out and done something similar to what l33t did.

I'm a moderator... I don't have the luxery of flaming in the asylum any longer.
I flame in the Asylum. Just very little pitty flaming that is only directed to members that flame me. I'm not the Sgt.Slice/c.m.b type, i know my limits.

what difference does it make? that's not what pissed people off, it was my pm that was posted in his goodbye thread, the only person it seems to have pissed off is you, but now that you've posted it I could see Savage or L33t coming out and saying that it pissed them off too... among other moderators...
I've always been pissed at you, only because of your negativity and you never agree with any person here, only yourself. You see everything black & white, you never step in the grey area!

here's to your PS:
You're right, I am bringing up issues we don't need... the asylum is an issue and we dont' need it. I'd like to say I'm not trying to hint that I don't like you, I'm going to tell you flat out that I don't, Captain Oblivious.
I can make friends with Sgt.Slice, but not a senior moderator, how strange...

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
Heh... good post Renzo ;)

except

originally posted by: Renzokuken
I've always been pissed at you, only because of your negativity and you never agree with any person here, only yourself. You see everything black & white, you never step in the grey area!
What is so grey about keeping the asylum or getting rid of it? that's quite black and white from what I can see... as most other things are on this board it's either black or white, so I keep that mindset

Ban, not ban, warn, not warn, leave post where it is, move it.

If you can show me the grey maybe I could work with it...