BattleForums.com's Future - The Plans (Draft)

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
In continuation from the other thread, here are the plans and changes BattleForums.com will be going through for the next while. Yes, this is a draft, so please comment below if you have any constructive suggestions.

- A portal site is being created to house articles and make BattleForums.com more than just a place to chat about games.
- A complete upgrade of the forums to create more of a community/social-network feel.
- Entire site to be expanded to more than just Blizzard games. (eg. Halo, Runescape, etc) and partnered with various other fan-sites/communities.
- Regularly-scheduled contests organized by staff on both forums, and around portal site activities.

Overall, the feel I am going for, is a family-friendly community full of active events and exciting new stuff.

What do you think?

Thank you,
Donny

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
In continuation from the other thread, here are the plans and changes BattleForums.com will be going through for the next while. Yes, this is a draft, so please comment below if you have any constructive suggestions.

- A portal site is being created to house articles and make BattleForums.com more than just a place to chat about games.
- A complete upgrade of the forums to create more of a community/social-network feel.
- Entire site to be expanded to more than just Blizzard games. (eg. Halo, Runescape, etc) and partnered with various other fan-sites/communities.
- Regularly-scheduled contests organized by staff on both forums, and around portal site activities.

Overall, the feel I am going for, is a family-friendly community full of active events and exciting new stuff.

What do you think?

Thank you,
Donny
These are all very good things IMO. I'm really glad you're going to expand battleforums past blizzard games. Blizzard games are great, but our current ones only draw in a certain amount of interest -- and it isn't a whole lot, atleast with our current members. I keep hoping for a Diablo 3 sometime, but I don't think that's going to be in the near future :p.

And articles, many people have been suggesting this forever, but it's just never actually happened. If we could get a good collection of articles going on, it'd definitely be a good way to get some useful content around here.

Anyway..good to hear there is atleast a plan. I'd just like to see it happen.

-RoaCh

Reaction score
We tried a Halo forum and it failed.
We tried a Runescape forum, and it failed. Bad.

Also, "family oriented" ? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I guess if you want to change what BF has largely been about these past 6 years, go for it.

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com

Also, "family oriented" ? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I guess if you want to change what BF has largely been about these past 6 years, go for it.
What would you suggest then?

No, "family-friendly" meaning the majority of the content being posted would be appropriate for 13-year olds.

Thank you,
Donny

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
can we get a new skin i hate this piece of **** one

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
This IS the new skin..

..and I don't see anything wrong with it.

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
this new skin sucks balls its so fugly and buggy it makes me sick

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Rs failed yes
Halo was active but eventually died. Imo i didnt think it was a total failure

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
this new skin sucks balls its so fugly and buggy it makes me sick
Then use the skin chooser (the drop down on the bottom left hand corner) and choose the other skin.

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
i did and it still isnt that good im using the black 1 at the moment but i wish we had like a black version of the other skin i just hate the colours of maroon and that blue together i hate it so bad imagine like gold and black it would be sweet

Reaction score
What would you suggest then?

No, "family-friendly" meaning the majority of the content being posted would be appropriate for 13-year olds.

Thank you,
Donny
Thought you ment like, do away with the Diablo section, make a massive amount of word filters, delete the asylum, so on and so forth.

I suggest reopening or remaking the Music section and putting it under Chit Chat. Also a comic forum too, but eh.

L

Laharl

For once, I agree with Mike. Also, I'd consider shrinking the starcraft classic section.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i say this is a good starting point, i like the idea of the articles, great way to get content and bring new members...question is how will you get the content? i know no one is going to want to write articles for free (Save one or two people)

Also, in the last thread Soulless mentioned kink not doing anything to bring traffic:

Donny has done more than any admin ive seen, partnering this site with others, the contest (which btw, had a LOT of old members come back along with a LOT of new members (granted tons of htem didnt stay))

along with as you said, posting it on his resume, he also has mentioned his site in numerious website directories along with other forums and sites, sure he beefed it up a bit by mentioning the "total userbase" and not the active, but he still has shown a LOT of effort in growing the site.

I have faith in what kink is doing, ive looked into his past work and he looks like he knows how to create traffic, and thats what bf needs.

Clearcast

Member!
Reaction score
kinkarso, glad you could make it.. id like to see not just forums being created, but good solid filler like refreshing some of the articles and stickies lying about.

if there are none capable or that have the time here, then id suggest going to another well established community or an article author hire site and having something worth reading and helpfull being put together.

also about that ''partnering'', i have and was going to suggest again that we send emails around trying to strike a deal with modifications and plications authors so we can distribute their work from here for a mention.

also, if a lot of memers show an interest in a certain non gaming topic, such as music, im suggesting that sections like that are added for somethin not just gaming related to talk about.

fair enough having a portal, but no point in having one if it doesnt really lead to anywhere. for instance, say it could lead to documentaries, mods and articles directly. its not really pointing to much at the moment. same goes for this ''social network'' idea, dont concentrate on that too much untill there is something relevant and sets us appart from others on here.

anyone dissagree or have any better ideas?

might sound obvious.. and it kinda is..

thank you.

L

Laharl

I volunteer as part of any future writing staff, so long as you don't mind my relative slow work pace :(

Airgoh

Member!
Reaction score
Um.. We've been pretty much saying we where going to do these things since like last year..

Maybe something will actually happen this time.