Bad news from Sony

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Looking to pick up a PS3 any time soon? Don’t count on it. Sony has recently announced several interesting Changes to their game plan. First off the worldwide launch is no longer a worldwide launch. Europe will be receiving the PS3 sometime in 2007. As for the rest of the world? Japan will receive only 100,000 consoles and North America only 400,000. This reduces the expected launch numbers from 2 million to 500,000. Year end numbers have also been reduced from 4 million to 2 million.

This drastic reduction can only mean one thing, Shortages. The 360 had them, and it is no doubt that the PS3 will not get away unharmed. With the Xbox offering free Xbox live for the week in Europe, releasing a second xbox sku in Japan, Microsoft hopes to catch up with this stumble. In addition there are rumors that the 360 could see a price drop of up to 100$. Nintendo Wii will launch sometime in the coming months, putting pressure on Sony, with all the Buzz Nintneod has created regarding it’s console and controller.. There is no doubt that the PS3 is marginally the most powerful console to be released. Now it is going to be a luxury few can afford, and even fewer will receive. Even if they sell out, there is no way around shortages, similar to the 360.

Also you can’t get away with only buying a 600$ PS3 and hope for HD output. Sony’s own site declared :
"Video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold separately. Copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector."
- Gamespot

HDMI cables can go for up to 300$ if you want the best possbile visuals. Lower end will cost an additional 30$.

Another interesting tidbit is the speed between the two. No not processor speed, but drive speed. Sure a 25 GB blue-ray disk is great, but the drives themselves are slow.

"Admittedly, Blu-Ray looks dicey from several non-capacity angles. Blu-Ray movies require a 1.5x Blu-Ray drive, or 54Mbits/second. Sony announced that PS3 uses a 2x BD drive, which is 72Mbits/second or 9MB/second. The Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD, which should give it about 16MB/second. That is significantly faster for games and will result in shorter load times. And that 12x DVD drive should be a whole lot cheaper. (Note that the PS3 drive will do 8x DVD, and even that is faster than 2x BD.)"

L

Laharl

If what you say is true than Sony just stopped slitting their wrists long enough to drink a galleon of rat poison. Good thing I never wanted one anyways.

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
AZN FLEA said:
If what you say is true than Sony just stopped slitting their wrists long enough to drink a galleon of rat poison. Good thing I never wanted one anyways.
lmfao.
<333

DigitalElite

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
fishdynastyproducts.deviantART.com
but...metal gear solid 4...showed promise...

ooh well, i already got a 360. And we get assassin's creed. Which was originally a PS3 exclusive...

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
but...metal gear solid 4...showed promise...

ooh well, i already got a 360. And we get assassin's creed. Which was originally a PS3 exclusive...
MGS4, like I mentioned a little earlier looked kinda gay. Now I realize cosmeticaly yeah it looked really good, and I like how they are agine Snake, but how far can you stretch the story? I mena you look at two extremes in the last two Metal Gear games. Metal Gear Solid 2 everyone bitched because you had to actualy think to keep up with the story, and Metal Gera Solid 3 you had to be a complete retard to not keep up. Now was the story any good? Not really. Metal Gear Solid was definately the best game so far in the PS/Xbox era. So I'm weary of the game, and I didn't intend to play it until it's at a bargain bin like how I got so many games for my Xbox that I got cheap when the 360 came out.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
This means I'll have to wait longer if the PS3 turns out to be the better system than the 360 'cause I'll be waiting for several price-drops and massive overhauls to fix the bugs in the systems (Microsoft and Sony make the worst first-gen hardware, can't seem to get it right until the third-gen production line) :(

Well, the upcoming 360 line-up, at least, looks better than the measly two games I so much as want for the X-Box... The PS3 still has some things I prefer. In anycase... Yeah. This is not gonna look good. In fact, Sony's stock saw a massive drop as did many gaming companies. The ones that especially took a hit are the ones that have the most Sony-exclusive games. Doesn't look too good to be associated with Sony right now... =/

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
"HDMI cables can go for up to 300$ if you want the best possbile visuals. Lower end will cost an additional 30$."

What a load of bullshit

Drkpsycho13666

Member!
Reaction score
I read this in a magazine, think it was EGM, that the ps3 was only compatible with hdtvs. I wonder is this true? Because i know not evryone owns a 30 foot hdtv taking up all the whole living room. And also since last time i checked, an hdtv is not cheap at all. If this factor is true, its gonna hurt sony bad.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I think that's a misunderstanding. The PS3 will require HDMI to capture the full quality of the gaming. Otherwise, it'll look like the X-Box 360 on a SDTV at home versus that nice HDTV where you demoed it, garbage.

L

Laharl

As I said before, if you have to pay good money just to get the actual "quality" of graphics... Why bother at all?

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Except your not only getting a graphics upgrade in any of the 2 next gen systems (X360 and PS3), but superior and gameplay mechanics as well.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
You're basicly getting better looking games. You'll have a few hits which employ maybe new gameplay mechanics, but for any game that isn't a big hit, you're going to get the same stuff. Not all developers will have the financial ability to completely develope incredibly graphics, and a massive system which employs 100% of the processors unique architecture.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
That's the problem developers, across the boards, are running into. It's why Sony no longer has any developer 'whole sale' support, and why 87% of developers have gone to the easy-to-build Wii architecture. It's why latest Japanese polls show at least 67% of developers most excited about developing for the Wii and a measily 8% for the 360, the remainder are most excited about the PS3.

It's why the cost of development is quoted as the biggest problem with the PS3 and, to a slightly lesser extend, 360. The reason we won't see greatly improved graphics for quite some time is because of the cost of development. Even studios once strong have begun merging or shutting down. Remember SquareSoft? Remember Enix? Remember Namco Games? Remember Bandai LTD? Remember when a new developer could come along and make a great game without going out of buisness immediately thereafter?

It's sad to say, but all Microsoft and Sony are doing is increasing the bottom-line costs of products. Microsoft is losing upwards of $100/unit, and will be losing more so with the HD-DVD attachment only selling for $200/unit. The total, estimated loss will be upwards of $300/unit. Sony is losing upwards of $400/unit. Nintendo, on the otherhand, is profiting by an estimated $75/unit sold. Where 360 and PS3 games are seeing a rise in /unit cost to attempt to make up for the extreme losses in profit each console sees, Nintendo is maintaining or reducing /unit cost.

What's sadder for Sony is the EU response to what's coming down the pipes. It seems everytime Sony's execs open their big mouths, the company gets a royal slamming from consumers. Apparently, the extremely upset European market doesn't care about massive delays. EU, in fact, is turning towards the Wii60 concept Microsoft, in an astoundingly smart business move, is preaching as of late. If Sony doesn't straighten up and fly right, and capitolize on WiiStation3 to counteract Microsoft, the company may be in for more hard times.

I was more excited by the PS3 until I saw their treatment of EU and the rammifications it holds. Developers are desperate to penetrate that market, and the ideology of the Wii60 may create that penetration they are so desperate for. I've heard rumor that SquarEnix may even delay FF XIII so the 360 and PS3 versions come out at, roughly, the same time. The whole idea is to attract the EU market. SquarEnix is also scratching at the expansive DS market and its world-wide support with a FF XII "sequel" not to mention a Wii Mana title.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but the 360 is the primary development platform for next gen games. Where do you get your numbers? And next gen development costs aren't as expensive as Nintendo would like you to believe. Gears of War costs only $10 mil and that game looks and plays awesome. Red Steel is just a $12 mil garbage light gun game that looks and plays like shit.

Polls say that 67% or whatever shows that devs are interested in developing for the Wii, but where are the games? All i see is last gen ports and maybe 1 or 2 original titles (Heroes, Elebits) from 3rd parties. 360 is getting great support from both japanese and western companies. 360 is getting Infinite Undiscovery from Tri-Ace, Trusty Bell from Namco, Lost Oddessey, Blue Dragon and Cry On from Mistwalker, Project Slyphead from Square, Phantasy Star Universe from Sega, Dead Rising and Lost Planet from Capcom, etc. What is Wii getting? Last gen ports? party games? 2 player racing games(lmfao excite truck)? With the myriad of ports and shovelware games for the Wii it's hard to tell whether devs are really serious about the Wii.

I can name tons of original IP's and even multiplats for the 360 and PS3. Can you name some for the Wii?

How can you even defend Nintendo after slapping you in the face with a $250 price tag with that machine? While both Sony and Microsoft are losing money from their systems Nintendo is ripping you off by giving you a turbocube with a $60 remote and ports. Hell for $50 more you can get a real next gen experience. PS3/360 might be $400/$500 but at least i get what i'm paying for.

Will you people stop with this Wii60 bullshit already, How much is the 360 selling in Europe right now? Europeans already want to import after hearing the delay. Europeans care about Soccer games and Gran Turismo. Not Wii Sports. Real games get people excited. Hell, Sony just showed White Knight and people are already preordering like crazy.

Square isn't bringing FF anywhere. They made the White Engine specifically for the PS3. Sony isn't going to lose developer support. Heard that RE5 is gonnna be PS3 exclusive? How about Ninja Gaiden coming to PS3?

?

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I find it amusing to see how much you cling to Sony's meatwagon. I'm with Bam on this; I'll prob get PS3...in a few years. Seriously, I prob won't get any system for a long while, just don't have the time to play it, but if I do, I'll get the Wii first. I liked that comment you made above: "Except your not only getting a graphics upgrade in any of the 2 next gen systems (X360 and PS3), but superior and gameplay mechanics as well." Lol. Wow, Sony has tilt sensors in their System Shock 3's, woopty effin doo. That's totally different from everyone else. And what does 360 have that's improving the mechanics of gameplay? I'll admit, Sensor technlogy has been around for a long while, I just enjoy how Nin is putting it to use instead of the other 2.

I read that Wii is going to either have RE5, or a completely different RE, and we're getting Squenix support, not to mention over half the developing companies in Japan are most excited about the Wii than any other. I'm seeing nothing but goods things coming from Nin, and I am far from a Nin fanboy. And you'll say the same thing about you not being a Sony fanboy, yet you fight tooth and nail trying to force us to convert to it. It's entertaining.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
[strike]I find it amusing to see how much you cling to Sony's meatwagon. I'm with Bam on this; I'll prob get PS3...in a few years. Seriously, I prob won't get any system for a long while, just don't have the time to play it, but if I do, I'll get the Wii first. I liked that comment you made above: "Except your not only getting a graphics upgrade in any of the 2 next gen systems (X360 and PS3), but superior and gameplay mechanics as well." Lol. Wow, Sony has tilt sensors in their System Shock 3's, woopty effin doo. That's totally different from everyone else. And what does 360 have that's improving the mechanics of gameplay? I'll admit, Sensor technlogy has been around for a long while, I just enjoy how Nin is putting it to use instead of the other 2.

I read that Wii is going to either have RE5, or a completely different RE, and we're getting Squenix support, not to mention over half the developing companies in Japan are most excited about the Wii than any other. I'm seeing nothing but goods things coming from Nin, and I am far from a Nin fanboy. And you'll say the same thing about you not being a Sony fanboy, yet you fight tooth and nail trying to force us to convert to it. It's entertaining.[/strike]
Your blind faith in Nintendo is a lot funnier, i don't get how you can pay $250 for an overclocked gamecube.

BioShock shits on anything announced for Wii. Ask someone who isn't a Wiitard and they will agree. Resistance surely is better than Red Steel, 40 online multiplayer > 4 player split screen? lmfao. MotorStorm takes big wet dumps on "Excite" Truck. Again, 16 player online multi > 2(lmao) player split screen. Mind you these games not only excel in online elements but in gameplay mechanics as well. Like Heavenly Sword, thousands of enemies on screen each with their own animations, seemless chainable combos with 3 different stances to choose from that you can switch on the fly. What can you compare it with? Project hammer?

Oh right, of course Project Hammer owns Heavenly Sword because you can swing teh remote repeatedly like teh hammerzz! :hxc :hxc :hxc

360 has by far the best lineup for 2007. Banjo Kazooie alone is enough to prove that.

You gaggots have been so into waggling your wiis you forgot other "real" gameplay mechanincs that make games more fun and replayable.

Oh and, have you seen RE5? Think it can run on Wii? You'll be getting a spin off sadly, like what Square is giving you, An FF spin off game(CC). What else are you getting from SE again.........? Like i said, feel free to name some original IP's, hell even ports will do just so you can say anything.

Now sit the fawk down and think about what you're going to say before you post :cool:

L

Laharl

You prefer blind faith in a company incapable of creativity. We like one that things for themselves.

Last I checked their games would allow "multiplayer" functions, outside of one screen.