Am I the only one doing this..?

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Seeing how this works out just fine against my cousin (went like 400-100 in progamer season or w/e the hell that is...).... Im guessing that this is an effective strategy, but I havent seen much ppl do it...? Not even my cousin (confuzzled)

when Im toss.. and whenever the enemy is zerg, I always make few cannons and few zlots for defence, and I start fast teching to corsairs, and upgrade disturpt web, then 1 for attack, and start harassing and killing all overlords (slowly making zlots and gate ways, and more corsairs, and upgrade speed for zlots, and making some DKs), and when the guy starts making sport, I just cast disrupt web on it.. blah blah, and give it a full push with DKs and zlots, and obs just incase of Lurker.

I was surprised that no one (no one that I played) used this tactic when I was zerg, let me ask you, were you guys aware of this strategy?

I mean cmon, think about it, 12 corsairs with 250 mana later on, camping in enemy's base, whenver he makes hydra, you run, whenver he makes overlord, you cast web then kill overlords, etc etc, and give it a full push with DKs and zlots.
 

Zerglite

BattleForums Senior Member
yea... that REALLY pisses me off when ppl do it to me

because theres nothing you can do...
 

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
What the hell are DKs? Death Knights? :p Get your names straight, mate ;).

If they're Dark Templars, they're good against Zerg without overlords (and hoping he's a bloody newb and doesn't have spore conlines either).

However, I would recommend you to make some dragoons, that you would use to kill anything under the disruption web (since zealots and dark templars cannot attack under it, as they're melee).
 

Ntrik_

Premium Member
TrongaMonga said:
What the hell are DKs? Death Knights? :p Get your names straight, mate ;).

If they're Dark Templars, they're good against Zerg without overlords (and hoping he's a bloody newb and doesn't have spore conlines either).

However, I would recommend you to make some dragoons, that you would use to kill anything under the disruption web (since zealots and dark templars cannot attack under it, as they're melee).
nah, if you cast the web in correct spot, zlot and DT (dark templars lol) can attack the building and stuff nicely, and dragoon upgrades would cost alot of money on this matter, :(

but Ill give that a try, see if I can fit that in somewhere around the game ^^
 

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Do you mean Pro Gaming Tour season? if so, either he's lieing or he lives in Korea and is a 100,000+ professional gamer named Iloveoov who is currently the highest rated player in the world. :)

Otherwise, I don't know what you mean.
 

Ntrik_

Premium Member
ArtOfProtoss said:
Do you mean Pro Gaming Tour season? if so, either he's lieing or he lives in Korea and is a 100,000+ professional gamer named Iloveoov who is currently the highest rated player in the world. :)

Otherwise, I don't know what you mean.
he lives in Korea, dont think hes in it now tho.... he was in it couple months ago I think
 

Darkmatter

Battle God
I find that strategy to be highly annoying. Especially since I usually build hydralisks in masse so I can have a beefy offence to act as my core-defence. Corsairs are really annoying, but I always build spore colonies, because most maps, moneymaps especially, I fear air raids and drops near my main htchery, so I plucker tons of them everywhere, just for good measure. I also usually forget to ascend the overlords speed upgrade, so they're easy Corsair target practice. :(
 

Lights

Member!
NtRik_ said:
he lives in Korea, dont think hes in it now tho.... he was in it couple months ago I think
What's his alias?


But, as to the strategy, fast Sair verse Zerg is fairly common. If with your scouting, you see he isn't teching lurker/ling (If he is, he will probably already have Hydra and an Evo Chamber down, and you should be getting Storm first.), than go for it. Especially if he fast expanded and you couldn't stop it. The thing is, though, you have to hide it from the Zerg player, or he will easily counter it.

It's nice because you force him to play into your plan. He must either build spore or hydra. If with your scouting sair you see a Spire, pump out a couple more Sair and an attack upgrade. It works out nice.

All the while expanding and massing ground. :)


*Note: If you have an ovie in your base, DONT kill it with your first sair. Scout first, then you can come back to kill it. :)
 

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Lights said:
*Note: If you have an ovie in your base, DONT kill it with your first sair. Scout first, then you can come back to kill it. :)
Yeah, as soon as someone neutron flares the ovie I have in their base, I make sure to secure the ones in my base from sair attack asap.
 

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Lights said:
What's his alias?


But, as to the strategy, fast Sair verse Zerg is fairly common. If with your scouting, you see he isn't teching lurker/ling (If he is, he will probably already have Hydra and an Evo Chamber down, and you should be getting Storm first.), than go for it. Especially if he fast expanded and you couldn't stop it. The thing is, though, you have to hide it from the Zerg player, or he will easily counter it.

It's nice because you force him to play into your plan. He must either build spore or hydra. If with your scouting sair you see a Spire, pump out a couple more Sair and an attack upgrade. It works out nice.

All the while expanding and massing ground. :)


*Note: If you have an ovie in your base, DONT kill it with your first sair. Scout first, then you can come back to kill it. :)
March something,

yea, killing hte overlord in my base with my first corsair would just give him more time to make those spores and stuff lol,
 

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
NtRik_ said:
Seeing how this works out just fine against my cousin (went like 400-100 in progamer season or w/e the hell that is...).... Im guessing that this is an effective strategy, but I havent seen much ppl do it...? Not even my cousin (confuzzled)

when Im toss.. and whenever the enemy is zerg, I always make few cannons and few zlots for defence, and I start fast teching to corsairs, and upgrade disturpt web, then 1 for attack, and start harassing and killing all overlords (slowly making zlots and gate ways, and more corsairs, and upgrade speed for zlots, and making some DKs), and when the guy starts making sport, I just cast disrupt web on it.. blah blah, and give it a full push with DKs and zlots, and obs just incase of Lurker.

I was surprised that no one (no one that I played) used this tactic when I was zerg, let me ask you, were you guys aware of this strategy?

I mean cmon, think about it, 12 corsairs with 250 mana later on, camping in enemy's base, whenver he makes hydra, you run, whenver he makes overlord, you cast web then kill overlords, etc etc, and give it a full push with DKs and zlots.
That sounds like a pretty sound strategy to me. Though I am sure there are defenses to it. For example if the player were to go scourge then your corsairs would be screwed. It also looks like it takes a lot of micro. Protoss however always seem like they Pwn zerg later in the game.
 

Ntrik_

Premium Member
lizardbreath said:
That sounds like a pretty sound strategy to me. Though I am sure there are defenses to it. For example if the player were to go scourge then your corsairs would be screwed. It also looks like it takes a lot of micro. Protoss however always seem like they Pwn zerg later in the game.
fast corsair > zerg's tech and $$$, they're forced to make hydras and spores, which gets owned later by disrupt webs and zlots.
 

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
NtRik_ said:
fast corsair > zerg's tech and $$$, they're forced to make hydras and spores, which gets owned later by disrupt webs and zlots.

But what do you against an early zerg rush before you even get a cannon out? There are always flaws to a strategy. If you are fast teching then a decent army of hydralisks/lings can take care of your base. Making your attack useless. It depends on if the zerg player is good though. Which most people on B.net suckzor.
 

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
mutas + ensnare > corsairs
scourges > corsairs

If you don't have those, though, than yes, the corsair strategy is a bitch. I had someone use it against me and all I had were hydras, and everytime I tried to move out from it, they would make a new one where I was moving to. Very annoying. Then they proceeded to slaughter a number of my overlords, although I snuck a bunch out of my base, made scourges, and was quick to destroy them. It cost me the game though, I had to replace my fallen overlords before I could do anything else, and by then they had their army at my entrance.
 

Ntrik_

Premium Member
lizardbreath said:
But what do you against an early zerg rush before you even get a cannon out? There are always flaws to a strategy. If you are fast teching then a decent army of hydralisks/lings can take care of your base. Making your attack useless. It depends on if the zerg player is good though. Which most people on B.net suckzor.
I have zlots for a good reasons =/ and several cannons,

and azrael, I start massacoring overlords by the time I get 4 corsairs...

I cant imagine Mutas and ensares coming out by the time I make corsairs, because upg ensare is gonna take a bit of a time, as well as making queens, and enough mutalisks.
 

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
NtRik_ said:
and azrael, I start massacoring overlords by the time I get 4 corsairs...

I cant imagine Mutas and ensares coming out by the time I make corsairs, because upg ensare is gonna take a bit of a time, as well as making queens, and enough mutalisks.
And you won't have D-Web yet either, because that takes as much time to research as Ensnare. Hydra + Spore > Corsair, GG.

a@... said:
Corsair is made to counter scourges as well as muta, same thing with valks.
mutas + ensnare > corsairs
scourges > corsairs
:rolleyes
 

a@...

Member!
I'm really sure you just didn't mean that scourge > corsairs.
Anything that does splash(for P T air, which are sairs, and valk) are made to counter light armor air units.
(ex: mutas, wraith, and scourges)

Corsair, valk > scourges
Corsair, valk > muta
Corsair, valk > wraiths
Valk > Corsair, since valk comes w/ default armor of 2.


I don't know about ensnare one, since I play neither p or z.
 

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
I should have explained.

Corsair, valk > scourges
A single corsair or valk can't kill 2 scourges before they get to it. 2:1 ratio of scourge to anti-air ships owns the anti-air ships. You need like a 3:1 when they mass them together, due to splash, but you don't pile them on top of eachother anyways, or they'll all attack a single unit (like 10 scourges killing one corsair). Scourges naturally require micro, and that micro is what you use to own corsairs and valks. Anyways, he said 4 corsairs. 8 scourges take 4 corsairs any day, no casualties for Zerg. For how cheap they are, scourges are a perfect counter to corsairs and valks early-mid game.

Corsair, valk > muta
I never said they didn't. I've learned that the hard way a number of times. However, that's not what I said. When ensnared, the corsairs' already weak neutron flare fires at a slower rate. Even against mutas, the corsairs become so hindered they are almost completely useless, and can't even escape because of their slowed condition. Works very nicely.
 
NtRik_ said:
Seeing how this works out just fine against my cousin (went like 400-100 in progamer season or w/e the hell that is...).... Im guessing that this is an effective strategy, but I havent seen much ppl do it...? Not even my cousin (confuzzled)

when Im toss.. and whenever the enemy is zerg, I always make few cannons and few zlots for defence, and I start fast teching to corsairs, and upgrade disturpt web, then 1 for attack, and start harassing and killing all overlords (slowly making zlots and gate ways, and more corsairs, and upgrade speed for zlots, and making some DKs), and when the guy starts making sport, I just cast disrupt web on it.. blah blah, and give it a full push with DKs and zlots, and obs just incase of Lurker.

I was surprised that no one (no one that I played) used this tactic when I was zerg, let me ask you, were you guys aware of this strategy?

I mean cmon, think about it, 12 corsairs with 250 mana later on, camping in enemy's base, whenver he makes hydra, you run, whenver he makes overlord, you cast web then kill overlords, etc etc, and give it a full push with DKs and zlots.
Well it does cost a bit early game to get a Fleet Beacon AND Disruption Web and then the Argus Jewel.
 
Top