A ZvZ stat my friend used against me

minny

6 years and going strong!
Reaction score
I was playing my friend the other day and we were both zerg on LT.
i was getting mutas and i didnt know what he was doing..so i thought he was gonna mass hydras and do the usual. About 14 minutes into the game my base is compleatly gone and i didnt know how the zerglings got in.
so he told me.. he first got a overlord and spyed my base.. while he saw behind my minerals he built on a nydus on my creep and massed zerglings and defilers for darkswarm..it woked out pretty well

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
One word: Lurkers.

L

Laharl

Problem: Lurkers are RANGED. Dark swarm would make them nice and useless :)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
No, lurkers are ranged AND do splash damage. Lurkers own in dark swarm.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Big-Fat-Homo said:
Problem: Lurkers are RANGED. Dark swarm would make them nice and useless :)
Not really, swarm is quite useless against lurkers. they can still attack.

L

Laharl

Still attack? Dark swarm doesn't stop HYDRAS from attacking - just from dealing damage to the units inside.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hydras are prevented from firing into the swarm not lurks because they fire from underground like sunkens.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Splash still affects units below the Dark Swarm, and Lurker's attack is splash and only splash.

L

Laharl

Phoenix - they aren't prevented from firing. They just don't deal damage. Big difference. I'm going to look up lurkers. I'll post anything I find.

Edit: I repent. I tested it and they function within a dark swarm. God I'm a noob.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Check the sc compendium.(at the blizzard website) I'm 99% sure lurkers aren't affected by swarm. You couldn't tell what I meant by that. I know hydras can still fire but deal no damage. Read the post more carefully. They can't fire INTO the swarm.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I'll be a jackass and say they can fire into it, but anything they aim at, they miss.

But getting back to that strategy, it DOES work yes, but take note of your minimap which shows up you and your enemies colours, and even noticing a Nydus Canal being built inside your base is news enough to kick its ass.