Zero Punctuation

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Metal Gear Solid 1-4 are perfection.
This^.

They're one complete saga, and if you play just part of it you won't get the full experience. Before MGS4 came out I booted up the old 1-3 and played through them in the two weeks before MGS4 came out following up to it.

The games really are amazing, and the 'mass amounts of dialogue' don't come near some other games.

Go play Xenosaga Episode 1 from New Game to "first battle" and you'll watch (no joking here) 47 minutes of FMV's followed by a small set of initial "heres how the game works" battles, followed by another 30 or so minutes of FMV's before you're actually into the game where you start to progress. Sitting through what made it of that series (still waiting on the final episode :/) can only be described as the perfect test of patience. Right when you get to a point where you're starting to like the gameplay the game rips into these huge FMV chunks, and right when you're starting to get really into those, it rips right back into the controlled game. Play through that series then tell me how wordy and talkative MGS4 is. Also repititve. I swear to god if I had to hear about how KHOAS was this type and the other one was that type of machine one more time throughout the entire game saga. At least 100+ times a game.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
This^.

They're one complete saga, and if you play just part of it you won't get the full experience. Before MGS4 came out I booted up the old 1-3 and played through them in the two weeks before MGS4 came out following up to it.

The games really are amazing, and the 'mass amounts of dialogue' don't come near some other games.

Go play Xenosaga Episode 1 from New Game to "first battle" and you'll watch (no joking here) 47 minutes of FMV's followed by a small set of initial "heres how the game works" battles, followed by another 30 or so minutes of FMV's before you're actually into the game where you start to progress. Sitting through what made it of that series (still waiting on the final episode :/) can only be described as the perfect test of patience. Right when you get to a point where you're starting to like the gameplay the game rips into these huge FMV chunks, and right when you're starting to get really into those, it rips right back into the controlled game. Play through that series then tell me how wordy and talkative MGS4 is. Also repititve. I swear to god if I had to hear about how KHOAS was this type and the other one was that type of machine one more time throughout the entire game saga. At least 100+ times a game.
Obviously, Xenosaga was all just chit-chat and 50 minutes+ of FMV over and over. Thats why I never liked it. If I wanted something like that, I would just read a book. Xenogears on the other hand was the opposite. At least until you get to Disc 2.

In Disc 2, you virtually had no freedom. You had to sit there and read long dialogue and watch long scenes, but they were ACTUALLY useful to the story, until after the second last area in the game. Afterwards, you had the World Map and only 4 useful locations (1 for selling, 3 for subquests), before you went to the final area.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I preferred Siphon Filter over MGS when I was into the playstation, personally...

Yweah my boy.

Not going to lie though, MGS the first one was awesome. Completely flawless. However MGS2 -3 soured me on the series, and i won't get MGS4 till september when i move back in with "that friend that got the PS3".

Otherwise the first 3 siphon filters were awesome compared to the latter MGS games.