Zerg Baneling

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
StarCraft II - Zerg Baneling

Discuss.

Personally, it's just an infested terran, except can be easily produced without having to infest a terran command center.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Old news, that's been up there for a week or so.

But yeah, they're pretty standard as far as role goes, doing exactly the same thing as ITs, but they're far more versatile now. Have you seen how quickly a Zergling becomes a Baneling? The cocoon phase is like, 10 seconds maybe. With Zergling mobility, you can get Banelings just about anywhere, and they're way simpler to attain than ITs ever were.

"I want kamikaze dudes...let's tech to late Tier 2, assault a Terran base, and leave the CC just alive enough to infest and start slowly pumping out weak little walking pusbags."

Having quickly manufacturable suicide units that you can spawn in almost limitless numbers is almost ridiculously good. Banelings make me fear playing against Zerg.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm fine with banelings as long as they're late game tech.

Speaking of infestation. It should be strictly anti terran.(talking about infestors, of course)
I just don't see this working.(gameplaywise vs toss or zerg)

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Vs Protoss supposedly there would be manufactured new "Infested Protoss" units that are completely different from Infested Terrans but are attained the same way. Read that somewhere, one of the Batches I think.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
There is probably an upgrade at the Zergling requirement that will allow you to research Baneling Metamorphesis. So I dont think it would be involved at t3.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Assuming they can roll into them before they are blasted by thier weapons or support fire.

I see them as Terrorists from Command and Conquer series. Keep them in wait, then let them out as a surprise attack. Or to rip apart structures at the bases.

Back when I played CPU or noobie people, I often would burrow Infested Terrans a little outside by base defenses, and pop them out when necessary.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Banelings are the quintessential ambush units...just look at the vids. They're being designed for either setting up traps or supplimenting base raids where they're harder to focus on because they're in a sea of Zerglings and whatnot. In the right hands, they should prove to be a devastating addition to Zerg strategy.

I see them coming in mid to late second tier, probably around the same time as Hydralisks or Mutas. Requiring a Lair and perhaps a Spawning Pool upgrade or secondary building.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
From what I understand it is fairly early, all things considered, probably a T2.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking banelings look a lot more lethal than they'll turn out to be in game.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Yeah, those are just Beta damage and HP setups.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Later on though, I think Banelings might end up doing the damage Scourge did, or around that point. The only reason they would reduce the explosion damage is if Banelings are extremely easy to reproduce and replace.

Hale

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting, hopefully they'll do damage while staying balanced. Although, Starcraft seems to be the utmost authority on balance, wouldn't you say? ^^