Z~WTF DOes dark swarm do?

dP

Member!
Reaction score
WTF DOes dark swarm do?

the defiler must be the most useless unit. what does dark swarm do? Create fake special effects?

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Sigh... DS makes range attacks (except splash) miss any unit under the cloud

Crazy Demon

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Actually, I knew that, but I was just playing around with you Dead_Peasent. Yes, Dark Swarm does protect your units from range attacks, and the only way to kill those units is to use melee units. This spell, Dark Swarm, does not suck at all. In my opioin, it is the 2nd best spell in the game(1st being defense matrix, 3rd being lockdown, 4th being EMP, etx.) You can use Dark Swarm if being attack by Battlecrusiors. You get a couple of hydralisk and than cast darkswarm over them. The hydralisk will attack the Battlecruisors, and will NOT RECIEVE ANY DAMAGE AT ALL. The person loses, perhaps, 3 Battlecrusiors, which is about 1200 minerals and 900 gas wasted, plus much build time. You lose no Hydralisk, and only 100 mana from your Defiler.

You can also cast DarkSwarm over your melee units. Imagine this: You have one Ultralisk and one Defiler. They are the only defense your expansion has, for this is a very early expansion. Than, suddenly, out of no where, you spot 24 hydralisk coming down towards the expansion. You can not lose this expansion, for it is the only expansion with minerals and gas left. Your army can't reach your base and time. However, you can win by casting DarkSwarm over the hydras, and telling your Ultralisk. The Ultralisk will Pown those Hydras, because they can't do any damage your Ultralisk. You keep the expansion, and possibly win the game with your quick thinking.

Do you see how effective DarkSwarm and Defilers are?

(Note: DarkSwarm does not effect air units. If you were to cast DarkSwarm over a few of your mutalisk, they could still be targeted by ranged units. I'm not so sure, but I do not think Scarabs are affected by the DarkSwarm, meaning they can still do damage against units)

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
They will miss the units exactly, but still hit close enough to deal considerable splash damage, same with Siege Tank fire.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
I cant remember but do sunken colonies effect swarmed units? I mean... I think it should...

but if you ever Vs. zerg, make sure you got some melee units near your bases and with attacking forces ;)

Renzo, where did you come from?

Sakuhta

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lord Folken
Sigh... DS makes range attacks (except splash) miss any unit under the cloud
No, it doesn't. It just stops air from touching anything within the cloud. They won't even attack.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Actually, he's right, the Dark Swarm is to stop ranged units from atacking anyone inside units.

Except for the Splash Damage.

As no air has splash damage, they'll hit no one.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
Originally posted by TrongaMonga
Actually, he's right, the Dark Swarm is to stop ranged units from atacking anyone inside units.

Except for the Splash Damage.

As no air has splash damage, they'll hit no one.
lol.. Actually, you should try it out. I know all about because it's a key move in 'Evangelion RPG.' Range is not stopped from attacking at all.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yes, dark swarm does block ranged attacks as well as air.
Sakuhta, maybe you should take your own advice and try it yourself. Only splash and spells can get through.

Question: do archons deal both direct and splash or just splash?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Well, they are both melle and ranged :)

They have this little range, that I've seen in some games.

But now that I really think of it... I think they are melle.

And range is definetly stoped from atacking units under ds, unless it's a splash damage ranged unit, such as tank, lurker or scarab.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
1)I tried it out last night in Evangelion, range is not blocked.
2)Archons are ranged, they can attack air.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by sakuhta
1)I tried it out last night in Evangelion, range is not blocked.
2)Archons are ranged, they can attack air.
Is dark swarm made for EVANGELION or what?
We're talking about dark swarm in MELEE games, not UMS.

And you talk like you know everything about SC, it's pretty amusing that you don't even know how dark swarm works, maybe you should quit ums and play melee lil bit more from now on?

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
sakutha is clearly confused, lol. evangelion? wtf?

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dark swarm DOES block all damage from ranged units unless they deal splash. i think sak is talking about how hydras will still shoot the units under the swarm, just no damage will be done. they sure as hell do attack, just their attacks bounce right off the dark swarm.