Z~When should I expand?

exobyte

Member!
Reaction score
When should I expand?

The one part of StarCraft that pisses me off the most is expanding. I never know when to do it in my build order and that usually spells out death for me. Any suggestions?

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If it's zvt, expand at 12 control unless you're at very close spots.
If it's zvz, depends on situation. I'm not too good at this mu.
If it's zvp, expand at 12 when you're at far away spots.

a popular build would be 12 hatch 11 pool. decent economy and lets you defend from offensive bunker. watch out for zealot rushes and 9-pool builds by enemy zerg.

All-in-all, experience will teach you this. 12 hatch(at expansion) 11 pool work best at a 12/6 or 3/9 scenario.
If it's zvp, you might wanna 12 pool 11 hatch to hold zealot rushes.

Scouting the enemy build will let you know when you can safely expand. Generally in zvt, 12 hatch 11 pool is fine. After the first overlord is done, make three more drones and use one of them to make a new hatchery.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
Lol, there is no 'safe/perfect way' to expand. It just depends 1) what youre going to do 2) what your opponent is doing 3) what your opponent is.

In Z v P youd be stupid to expand at 12 control. They're a power race, you need to get units 1st to defend.

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
its completely dependant on the situation. expanding is something that cannot be given a build order.... you have to know what your enemy is doing, know if youll need the money required to expand, where your expanding to, how your going to defend your expo and your main, how to transfer troops if need be... just expand when you have the money and have a way to defend your expo. keep scouting....

the best advice i can give is keep scouting all through the game. i usually forget later in the game and it kills me. i gotta keep tellin myself to scout.

Biske

Reaction score
I say, do it if it feels right. If you think you have enough units to defend an expo, then go for it, otehr wise, hold off.

aphextwin

Reaction score
u fast exp on zvt, thats fo sho, but any other reason dont expo until later ingame.... cuz u cant predict what the other guy/gal gonna do/get

Neverborn

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Good tosses can capitalize on a zerg fast expanding very easily. Being the extremely macro oriented matchup that this is, letting a toss capitalize on anything is generally bad.

Also ZvT I prefer 12 pool 12 hatch expanding, cause it beats bbs and all sorts of proxy cheese as well as maintaining like 95% of the economy advantage that 12 hatch 11 pool gives you. Also, if your drone scout sees two rax you can third hatch before gas and still have tech in time to beat a two rax tank rush.

ZvZ whoever expands loses.