Z~erg Devours or Scourges?

Lwek

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.Battleforums.com
I've been playing melee lately trying to use strategy in money maps. Even though people just like to mass one or two units, I use strategy.
Anyways, I've always used a combo of Queens/Defilers, Hydralisk, Lurkers, and Scourges.
I'm wondering would scourges be better to use or devours?
Devours has a slow attack rate but does good damage, scourges build really fast and you get two for the price of one.
I've been using scourges and it pisses people off because 24 scourges can wipe out their entire carrier mass.
Which one is better?

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, Scourge can be killed fairly easily, so I'd go with Devourers first, to slow down their attack rate, giving the Scourge a better chance to make contact, but if I were to say which is better...Scourge only have one purpose, and that's to kamikaze, while Devourers are ment to compliment your current air force....I'd say Devourers.

aphextwin

Reaction score
u should use both devour and scourages, some mutas as well for anti air...

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if u're just playing money maps just make 100 scrouges and send them all over if ur oppenent has a lot of air units so what if u lose like 25 of them? u'll just make more and piss ppl off cuzthey lost so many air units and that takes time to make.

but if u're not on money maps, i say a mix devours can help ur mutalisk while scourges can help to take out some of the smaller planes. it is kinda hard for wraiths to hit that little bugger

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
yeah since its money, you should have enough money for both, lol.

When on a money map, asking wether you should get one unit or the other, just go for both. Same usally on a normal map, a mix of both

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i say if u're on money maps and one of them is cranking out air units like hell send in mass scrouges and keep building, better if it's like a 2-2 map. then send one scourgesto hover around the starports so even if they do make more air units, they are pretty much damaged or completly destoried.

Neverborn

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I like to kill people with queens when I play money maps. Either that or mass arbiter/probe. Thats fun too, although it has some trouble with mass cannon :)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Devourers are not to be used as lone AA, they suck like that. They should be used togheter with mutas, because of their multiple attack. What the devourer spore thing does, besides slowing the unit's attack rate, is to add the number showing on the affected unit to every attack that unit recieves. Therefore, if it is at it's max (9), a fully upgraded BC gets a damage of 15, and the glaves that go from one BC to another, even though the damage keeps reducing, will still inflict a damage of around 9, or so. It really improves the Mutalisks.

Now, between scourges and devourers, it does depends on you. I prefer devs + mutas, personally.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I like Muta+Scourge=Devourers. Mainly because like TrongaMonga said, Devourers increase Muta's splash glave attack. And since it also slows them, the Mutalisks measly 3 range can be easily made up for. Scourges can benefit from the spores added damage right? I won a Muta/Devo/Scourge battle against 10 BC's because it seemed to me the spores really kicked in. Spores plus a little fleet of Scourges can really do a number on Heavy Air Units. Spores also uncloak wraiths, and can be used in deadly effiency with units that attack fast and are cheap, such as Hydralisks. A DA /w Hydra and Devourer Support can wreck air units. They'd have to run, and with spores, that's a bit hard to run away, I think.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've always used mutas + scourges. i only get devos if i have some minerals/gas to spare or if a mutalisk is about to die i pull it out and make it a devo :D