Z~Best Zerg AA

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Best Zerg AA

Help a n00b out. :D

I currently use Scourge to deal with AA 'cos Mutalisks suck against larger air like Carriers. Is that a good idea?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Best Zerg AA are Hydralisks under Dark Swarm. Of course, against fast units, it's not that good, because he can run away and start hunting overlords. But then again, for those, you just build a couple of spore colonies all over the base.

Don't forget to add something like ultralisks to give the Hydras some protection in case he appears with melle units to defeat them, under the dark swarm.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I don't think swarm/hydras are a threat to carriers at all. They're fast enough to run away and come back once swarm has worn off. carriers are really fast for a capital ship which is why they do so well vs goliaths, etc.
Anyway, zerg, in general, has the best anti-air, on ground maps, anyway.(not true on islands I'm afraid)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
But for carriers there's always scourges, they work very well against them. Not so well against BCs, though, I'm afraid. Unless you distract them.

Let's not make this too off topic, but I'm curious: Phoenix, do you think that Terran has the best AA in islands?

Sakuhta

Reaction score
Re: Best Zerg AA

Originally posted by x42bn6
Help a n00b out. :D

I currently use Scourge to deal with AA 'cos Mutalisks suck against larger air like Carriers. Is that a good idea?
For big expensive units like a carrier, scourge are very very nice. But mass hydra also tear up Carriers because they smash the interceptors in seconds.

But remember, if you have a vast amount of resources, always make a full team of devourers. They're spores will do splash and slow everything around the main target, and they do nice damage. But don't use them against Carriers, because there are too many interceptors to slow, but all other air, including AA, they can smash.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
They suck against valks. And against scouts, as well.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by TrongaMonga
Let's not make this too off topic, but I'm curious: Phoenix, do you think that Terran has the best AA in islands?
Early game ,yeah. But later when carriers become available, no. gols on islands are a bitch until then. there's always psi-storm so it's not that much of a problem.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
Originally posted by TrongaMonga
They suck against valks. And against scouts, as well.
Actually they make them both so slow they cant do any real damage, not to mention if they only hit one the spore splashes and hits many. Try it. You non-Zerg player. :p

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yes, I know, but devourer's damage is 25, with a big cooldown. Scout fires fast and damages well, and valks have splash damage and a good HP. Unless you are talking about having something more than devourers there, as it would be expected :)

Vaxxination

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well just get upgraded devourers since ur zerg u can build a lot at once and they have great defense although they are slow if you have a lot they can kill air very good even if u use them to distract opponents air so you can own their base. Usually battlecruisers are the air u need to worry about carriers = crap against devourers valks even with ur mass u dont have to worry about valks cost a lot and with their random hits and ur units defense they should be easy....