Your Philosophy

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What is your philosophy?

How do you conduct yourself? What are your thoughts on the universe, ethics, reason, character, morals, etc?

I had to write a short paragraph about mine for my English class. I would have wrote about more atheist views, but our teacher is a biased, raging Christian. Heres a rough draft of mine.

To discover your philosophy at a young age is exceptionally difficult. What seems even more troublesome is trying to explain it once you determine it. Doing so meant digging through my cluttered mind even more. I never thought it would be entertaining. Appealing it was, I did discover that I profile myself closely to that of existentialism. I stress freedom of choice and the responsibility for ones behavior. As in the quote "Man is nothing else but what he makes of himself", Jean-Paul Sarte describes the very base of what I partially believe in. Emphasizing on the uniqueness of the human experience directs my thoughts that human existence is unexplainable. By believing this, I have no imposed pattern of existence, no overriding authority that could become a burden. I proceed through my day knowing that I have control of what is to betide upon myself. I apprehend the knowledge that if I take the wrong step, I take the blame. This leads to pure contemplation and simply the fact that one's consequences are his own. Existentialism is how I describe myself through philosophical terms. My belief in it holds strong and it describes how I bring about myself fully.
So, what is your philosophy?

TKDismyLIFE

Member!
Reaction score
to be a saint in your own mind, dont live for everyone else, impress yourself, not the world like we're all brainwashed to believe. (also my sig has some good advice) My thoughts on the universe, is that I'm trying to understand it, but know right now I have to figure out my own life and things on a much smaller scale.
Morally, we all know by experience and gathering information from tv and our parents and we should all know right from wrong.

I try to conduct myself in a way that makes sense. I mean cmon, not everyone can be a raging alcoholic axe murdering bafoon. It doesn't make sense. I just try to get laid, be nice to everyone, and get paid. :rofl2
(oh and party :hxc ) (but not too much :rolleyes )

Magikarp

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
iSuck said:
I had to write a short paragraph about mine for my English class. I would have wrote about more atheist views, but our teacher is a biased, raging Christian. Heres a rough draft of mine.
Ha, I never would have thought I would see a reference to Jean-Paul Sartre in a place like BF. I've actually read some of his work, including "No Exit." Even though I respect the ideas represented by Sartre ("Hell is.. other people" and your quote), I have the opposite philosophy.

I believe everything flows in one direction. People are the same as computers in nature; we have inputs and outputs. Because the decisions we make are dependent on decisions we've made before hand, the human mind becomes increasingly complex, and is, probably, nearly impossible to fully analyze (A full analyzation meaning you could predict every possible action a person would make). Designing a computer as complex as a human mind is probably impossible (Unless you built a computer that built an even more complicated computer, and so on and so forth).

Examples I use to point this out is, if you were to rewind time (This is just for example, I'm not arguing about the nuances of time travel), why wouldn't you perform the exact same actions? Every circumstance, down to the molecular level, would be the same.

I also believe that a good experiment would be to have two perfectly identical single celled organisms in identical environments. Most likely, if everything was identical, the two single celled organisms would perform going along identical routes. This would be very hard to set up though.

Essentially, I don't really think you can "blame" people for their actions. You should still send people to prison.

And, this also ties in with the term "randomness" in the sense that nothing is truly random. Things can't just happen, like an exploding star appearing in your living room (The one exception to this is that we cannot really explain the universe. According to physical laws, you can't get something from nothing.. in a sense. So I guess true randomness can still be disputed). From what we know, events have to have triggers, like in computer programming.

Anyway, this is way too long, and no one will probably read it.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
O, I read it, its my thread of course.

So Leviathan, does your philosophy tie in with your views on religion? Are you an atheist?

IDefy

Reaction score
I'm some what more of an agnostic slightly leaning towards believer when it comes to religion. However I base many of my values off of many religions, many for christianity for example. I just try to believe in things with cause and reason not just some X thought or idea.

Magikarp

Reaction score
iSuck said:
O, I read it, its my thread of course.

So Leviathan, does your philosophy tie in with your views on religion? Are you an atheist?
For the most part. I'm still concerned that I could be ****ing up and I have it all wrong. And my "one direction sequence of events" theology can't explain how matter can exist, since it would seem that matter came from nothing, which would violate one of the laws of thermodynamics.

A good representation of the ideas I talked about is the movie Donnie Darko.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
Well, it should be obvious from my posts that a large portion of my what I believe relating to life comes from my religion, Roman Catholicism. Though I could quote the commandments, quote the teachings of Jesus, or so forth, there has always been one quote that has influenced me as much as my religion.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

I found this quote quite a few years ago, before I found God and became a Roman Catholic. Ironically, Oscar Wilde was actually imprisoned in England for being a homosexual. I've always believed that we as humans are inherently flawed. We are imperfect beings that harm each other. Though instead of being cynical and being in the gutter, I've always wished to try to make the world a better place than I left it. Finding God through Roman Catholicism has only increased my belief in this. Instead of quoting the Bible, as you'd expect from me, I give you only the quote that I live by.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
So Tipsy, what was your faith before you became Catholic? Im Catholic too, but my views and beliefs dont follow it at all and only sticking in it to make my parents happy.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
iSuck said:
So Tipsy, what was your faith before you became Catholic? Im Catholic too, but my views and beliefs dont follow it at all and only sticking in it to make my parents happy.
To put my old beliefs in on phrase, I was confused. I had a belief that was close to agnosticism, though closer to borderline atheism. I was cynical towards religion. All it seemed to do was dull the mind, spread ignorance, or create hatred. It seemed to me that peace and religion were two different concepts that excluded one another. The world is full of hate from religion. Look at Israel and the Middle East, or Pakistan and India.

Though, from a curiosity of how so many billions of people today and throughout history could be so stupid to believe in some sort of higher being or follow organized religion my entire perspective was changed. That was slightly before freshman year, and religious texts, especially the bible began to actually make sense after that. Over freshman year I read multiple books written by both atheists and theists explaining why they do or do not believe in religion. One day, it just clicked in my mind. My confusion was replaced with a sense of understanding. From there it led me to Roman Catholicism. Since then, I have converted my family who were pretty much practicing nothing and have gone all the way through confirmation.

Anywho, that was sort of a long answer, but there you are. My advice for you and your religious life is don’t let your parents or anyone else force you into any belief - religion is something that you need to learn through yourself.

Zerglite

Reaction score
do what you do, if you screw up, dont do it any more.

Static

Premium Member
Reaction score
iSuck said:
What is your philosophy?

How do you conduct yourself? What are your thoughts on the universe, ethics, reason, character, morals, etc?

So, what is your philosophy?
So you compromised your philosophy for some bitch of a teacher? Make it about atheisim. I made a report on it and some people in the class thought it was bogus but I would of punted there nose to the left if they tried to not let me do it.

Nietzsche was a good person to read for philosophies on life.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
It's spelt Jean-Paul Sartre. As for my philosophy, I won't be so bold to pretend I know anything yet. That is indeed about it.

Magikarp

Reaction score
TrongaMonga said:
It's spelt Jean-Paul Sartre.
I knew he spelt it wrong, but I didn't want to be an ass about it.

And Tipsy, I respect your beliefs because you came to them without the prodding of your parents. A lot of kids just follow what their parents do.. which is fine if they don't really care, I guess.

_Ace

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Examples I use to point this out is, if you were to rewind time (This is just for example, I'm not arguing about the nuances of time travel), why wouldn't you perform the exact same actions? Every circumstance, down to the molecular level, would be the same.
Actually, if "you" go back in time, it means everything "rewinds" but you don't, so everything would be the same, but you, you would still know that your decisions or actions were wrong and you would be trying to do something different. Now that I think of it, being able to go back in time and realize that you did, remembering everything you did "before" travelling back would be impossible.

As for my phylosophy, I just worry about living without too much trouble. I know, it sounds pretty stupid, but from experience I know that a deep phylosophy only leads to arguing with others, and believe me, arguing about God with believers is a pain in the ass.

Neptunez

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.3osoft.com
After some considerable contemplation about life, the universe and everything, I have come to my philosophies:

A) Enjoy the 100 years of life you have been given – preferably work hard so you can do so.
B) Everything will come to an end, as is the nature of the universe, so make the most of it.
C) And don’t cry over anything that can’t cry over you. Life is trivial, love is eternal. After 20 Billion years all light in the universe will diminish and eventually atoms will be reduced to quarks and other subatomic particles.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Leviathan said:
I knew he spelt it wrong, but I didn't want to be an ass about it.

And Tipsy, I respect your beliefs because you came to them without the prodding of your parents. A lot of kids just follow what their parents do.. which is fine if they don't really care, I guess.
I wasn't being an ass, I was trying to help him correct that mistake before he delivers it (I assume he didn't yet, since it's a draft).

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
TrongaMonga said:
I wasn't being an ass, I was trying to help him correct that mistake before he delivers it (I assume he didn't yet, since it's a draft).
Yeah, I turned it in a bit ago. The paper now has pretty much the same stuff in it, but a lot of the sentences and words were moved and changed and grammer was corrected.

My English teacher also commented on my paper to other teachers and we had an actual mature discussion on philosophies for about a week. It was great.

_Ace said:
...arguing about God with believers is a pain in the ass.
Isn't it always...

Icedragon

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
your asking for my modus operandi?

Mine is simple: Live Long, Work Hard and Prosper. Its not much diffent than a lot of peoples but i just want a long happy and enjoyable life so i think that this modus operandi will take me there

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
Live and learn, and then get Luvs.

That is my philosophy on life. Tipsy, due to his failure to comprehend it, thinks that it's "not intelligent" enough for AS. So, I guess I have to explain it, since he can't understand it otherwise.

My philosophy is broken down into three different aspects, each of which I will explain in enough depth that a small child, or someone with the mind of one, could understand it.

This part represents how to think of the present.

Live: Live your life to the fullest. Be bold, make every second count. Never pass up an opportunity to do something new and exciting, to add extra flavor to your existance. Be yourself, but do it the best that you can, and then some. Always try your hardest, and try everything. Don't be afraid to not be afraid. Live in the moment.

This part represents how to think of the past.

Learn: Learn from your mistakes. You know the adage "Burn me once, shame on you; Burn me twice, shame on me"? This holds very true. Don't dwell on the past, but learn from it and move on, so as to make sure you're prepared to handle the same situation differently should you encounter it again. Always take everything you can from every experience, good or bad, and keep it with you to use for the rest of your life. Live without regret.

This part represents how to think of the future.

Get Luvs: Diapers are a symbol of being prepared, as one doesn't wear them after defecating, but before, in anticipation of the said occurance. It isn't that you should fear what is to come, but that you should prepare for it as best you can, and be prepared to simply throw your preparations into the garbage can once their use has come to pass. Even when death approaches, you should still wear your diaper, because even corpses defecate once. Always be prepared.

As I said, my philosophy on life is to live and learn, and then get Luvs. Present, past, future. I hope that, fully explained, it's now deemed intelligent enough to remain here. God, some people need everything spelled out, I swear.