Your own religion

reor

Reaction score
Website
reor.de.vu
I have a favour to ask :
Help me make a new religion, based on science and common sense .

Everybody can add their own piece of wisdom .

Please, no jokes !
I mean, fun is okay, but try to contribute something useful .

P.S. :
This means You, MEFISTO MONSTER !

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I have long been pondering a religion based on the holiness of cheese. Not haha "holeyness" like in Swiss cheese. Seriously, the amazing divinity of cheese itself. Our major leader would be called Cheesus Pope.

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've decided to base all my morales on the teachings of the Jedi Council. Perhaps one day, I will become a Jedi Master.

"May the force be with you, and also with you." -A reading from the Holy Gospel. According to Luke.

munchyman

Eat your vegetables!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if youre trying to make a RELIGION out of science and common sense, then it ceases to be based on common sense.

what would you have us believe?

IceDevil9

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rcthaven.com
The Vatican has a website? Hahahahah I doubt the Pope can even use a computer. Besides, Catholicism, like any religion, is full of flaws and inconsistisies.

Which is why I'm not religious, not Athiest at all, I still beleive in God, Heaven and Hell, and that's about it. Notihg about a set number of people in Heaven (Mormons), not that I need to go to Church every Sunday and hear some guy tell me shit I already know, or somethign I don't even care about, nor do I even think it's right to drink anyone's blood or eat their flesh, isn't that called Cannibalism. Why would you eat someone you love?

-Frank :cool:

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
IceDevil9 said:
Besides, Catholicism, like any religion, is full of flaws and inconsistisies.
Feel free to point them out.

nor do I even think it's right to drink anyone's blood or eat their flesh, isn't that called Cannibalism. Why would you eat someone you love?
Since this is bound to be the first inconsistency you speak of then I will answer it. It has to do with metaphysics, specifically the two words 'substance' and 'accident'. Substance is being which is not dependant on anything and exists on its own. On the other hand, accidents must exist and are dependant on something else. For example, a carrot is substantially a carrot, not a tomato. It will never turn into anything else such as a turnup. It is orange and has, for the lack of a better phrase, carrot qualities. When the priest is doing his thing while turning the bread and wine to Jesus' flesh and blood he removes the substance of the bread and the wine and replaces it with the flesh and blood of Jesus. The wine's accidents such as its' redness and taste remain, but its' substance is replaced. How this happens is still a mystery, but this is an effort to explain how transubstantiation works.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Crap, who showed Tipsy this thread?

IceDevil9 said:
The Vatican has a website? Hahahahah
The pope has his own website too.

IceDevil9

Reaction score
Website
www.rcthaven.com
Tipsy said:
When the priest is doing his thing.
A) That's the funniest shit I've heard in a long ass time. B) Is this 'thing' named either James or John. C) Does this 'thing work, conveniently enough, as an altar boy?

Your argument makes no sense. He removes the 'substance' of the wine and the bread? So I can hold up a gun, replace the 'substance' of it with Gummi Bears and I can shoot myself and not die, but rather be barraged by Gummi Bears? Maybe I can remove the substance of poverty in Africa and replace it with that of food and oppurtunity. God, why haven't we been doing this forever? Hell, who knew it was that easy. -_-

-Frank :cool:

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
American catholic priests are not normal catholic priests.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
IceDevil9 said:
A) That's the funniest shit I've heard in a long ass time. B) Is this 'thing' named either James or John. C) Does this 'thing work, conveniently enough, as an altar boy?
Just incase that isn't a joke, I meant transubstantiation.

Your argument makes no sense. He removes the 'substance' of the wine and the bread? So I can hold up a gun, replace the 'substance' of it with Gummi Bears and I can shoot myself and not die, but rather be barraged by Gummi Bears? Maybe I can remove the substance of poverty in Africa and replace it with that of food and oppurtunity. God, why haven't we been doing this forever? Hell, who knew it was that easy. -_-
I guess I didn't explain it as well as I thought I did. He is changing the substance, it does not change the accidents. The accidents do not change, when the bread's substance is changed our senses do not notice anything. It still smells, tastes, looks, and feels like bread. It is the substance, what it actually is changing.

Other than the fact that it takes a miracle must be present for the examples you have given to take place, I will still answer them. You take a gun and replace the substance of it with gummy bears you will still die, it doesn't change anything that our senses perceive. Also, last time I checked poverty wasn't an object, so I'm not exactly sure how that would work. Also, we have been doing it for the last 2000 years, ever since Jesus first did it.

Just to point out, if you don't believe that this is happening then you can't also believe that we are eating the flesh and blood of Jesus because this is how it becomes his flesh and blood.

That's metaphysics for you.
---

As for the topic of priests, I will answer this in two ways. First is just showing how it is relatively low percent wise. From the latest numbers I have seen, which was awhile ago, it was around .53% of Catholic priests have molested children, and around 1.5% of all sects of Christianity, including Catholic priests have molested children. Compare this to the pedophilia rate of 4% in the general population in the United States you can see there alone that it is lower than in the general population and is not something that happens when you become a priest, such as what sells in the media.

Now the second way I will talk about this by using the bible. Here is one of the many parables from Jesus.

"But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away.

But when the wheat sprouted and bore grain, then the tares became evident also.

The slaves of the landowner came and said to him, 'Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?'

And he said to them, 'An enemy has done this!' The slaves said to him, 'Do you want us, then, to go and gather them up?'

But he said, 'No; for while you are gathering up the tares, you may uproot the wheat with them.

'Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, "First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn."
(Matthew 13:25-30)

If you have no idea what that means, then you are in good company, because a few verses later the apostles tell Jesus they are confused and want to know what the hell he is talking about. He responds:

And He said,

"The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,
and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one."
(Matthew 13:37-38)

So if there are weeds mixed in with tares, there is good mixed in with evil. This would mean that the church could not be holy because there is evil mixed within it as well, right? If some parishioners, some priests, some bishops, some cardinals, some popes, etc are sinners, then the church is no longer holy, right?

The answer is no, the church is still holy, but then you must ask why. The answer to this is because the holiness of the church does not come from the people in it, it comes from God. The only part of the church which is holy is its' infallible teachings and its' sacraments. The only reason the church exists is to give out the sacraments and infallible teachings of God. The pope could order genocide of every non-Catholic in the world, yet the church would still be holy because the holiness only comes from the sacraments and infallible teachings.

So this goes into what you were talking about, why must you go to church, because not only are you missing its' infallible teachings, which is the small part, but you are missing the chance to receive the grace of God by receiving his son in the Eucharist.

So there we go, hopefully this is a long enough explanation for you, feel free to point out anything else you wish to know about the church.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Um, this whole transubstantiation thing is essentially just some people eating crackers and drinking wine, and being such sheep as to believe that it actually bears the essence of the body of Christ.

Gee whiz, Catholics are sheep. Even the Bible refers to "The Lord as my shepherd," which is blatantly calling any believers sheep. I'm sorry, but I will bow my head at the Altar of Swiss any time, as opposed to eating crackers and drinking wine for my daily presentation of my faith. Now, if they threw in a bit of cheddar on them crackers, then we might be able to work something out.

Magikarp

Reaction score
reor said:
I have a favour to ask :
Help me make a new religion, based on science and common sense .

Everybody can add their own piece of wisdom .

Please, no jokes !
I mean, fun is okay, but try to contribute something useful .

P.S. :
This means You, MEFISTO MONSTER !
I believe that the Church of Scientology is based on your criteria.

And, even though this is somewhat out of place for me to say, the Catholic Church or any religion based on the teachings of Jesus could be considered based in "fact" since it is a religion that is supported by some form of evidence, mainly The Bible and the Dead Sea scrolls, whereas Scientology was just made up.

I think I just gg'ed myself.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Religion as a whole is flawed.

It's just bedtime stories to a higher level, to give people something to believe in.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
You must be looking for agnosticism. Us agnostics don't commit to a belief in the existence or nonexistence of a god. Seems as though I'm not the only agnostic here, either...

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
Um, this whole transubstantiation thing is essentially just some people eating crackers and drinking wine, and being such sheep as to believe that it actually bears the essence of the body of Christ.
Well if you don't think it happens I have nothing to say against that because there is really nothing I can say to prove it. I am just trying to point out that eating the bread and drinking the wine after transubstantiation isn't cannibalism.

Gee whiz, Catholics are sheep. Even the Bible refers to "The Lord as my shepherd," which is blatantly calling any believers sheep.
I can understand people not understanding more complex metaphors such as Adam and Eve, but are you actually being serious in not understanding the meaning behind the lord is our shepard and we are his sheep?

Anatomy Of Vice said:
Religion as a whole is flawed.

It's just bedtime stories to a higher level, to give people something to believe in.
Well anything other than baseless opinions which you turn to fact merely because it comes from your mouth would be appreciated.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
No religion is definate. Your precious bible for example, has thousands of different versions, and scriptures.

I was produced by man, not god. There is no "Definate Version" of the bible, so why would you believe one version over another? Oh wait, because it's what you want to believe. Having a belief in something so...inferior...as a book thats been changed throughout history to better the time and place, is the worst idea, ever.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
I can understand people not understanding more complex metaphors such as Adam and Eve, but are you actually being serious in not understanding the meaning behind the lord is our shepard and we are his sheep?
I caught the metaphor, but the statement is more or less true. You are sheep.