Your music experience

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Hey I'm wondering what kind of bands you guys have been in. I was in a ska band briefly it was alright but our guitarist was a bit if a prick.

Then a few friends of mine formed a rock band which was mostly just us jamming when we had three or more of us together. Bass player was the same guy as from the Ska band. Cool guy... as most bass players seem to be.

I played Saxophone in both those bands. So Battleforums, what have you done?

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
Generic rock jam band with my housemates. Never did or wanted to do anything beyond small shows at our university. I played keyboards or rhythm guitar depending on the song.

Junior Symphonic Orchestra, as a cello player.

Couple of piano recitals.

Double bass in a Jazz group that my dad started (I just fill in when their regular player has work, but it's a lot of fun).

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
played violin in a youth string orchestra for three years, and originally wanted to be a violinist, but it took too much practice
taught myself mallet perc for band in high school
still jam on violin, perc, guitar with my dad and brother sometimes, other than that, I just play acoustic guitar every now and then when I'm bored

Metal Gear Flash

LaLiLuLeLo
Reaction score
play saxaphone, have since 5th grade

taught myself some piano as well but never played in any bands (other than high school ones)

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
tried playing guitar but i sucked so bad i learned 3 chords in 2 months im good at drums tho

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
use to play trumpet for 2 years in elementary

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
learning elec guitar. i cant be stuffed memorising chords. this has obvious disadvantages because playing acoustic becomes a huge problem

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i was actually offered to be in a band called "IPLAF" some of my buds created in highschool, but told them i couldnt do it (woudl never manage to meet up for band sessions n stuff, knew i woudlnt make it)

though i did wind up singing for them once or twice at some gigs when the singer was uh...unable to perform (aka drunk or something)

they were kinda like a hardish metal band but not screaming metel

...though im guessing none of that made sense.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm in a band. A Rock Band. I'm pretty good on the vocals and guitars, but I'm terrible at the drums. We can usually rock out on hard mode. You might know of us. Our band's name is The Venereal Diseases.

Jim Morrison

Premium Member
Reaction score
learning elec guitar. i cant be stuffed memorising chords. this has obvious disadvantages because playing acoustic becomes a huge problem
you're gonna have to learn chords if you want to play guitar

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
I played trumpet for about 7-8 years, and then I learned and played a bunch of other instruments for random occasions. I've performed playing trumpet, French horn/melophone, baritone/euphonium, bass trombone, guitar/bass guitar, and I did a small stint doing indoor drumline, mostly playing mallets and a KAT (big synthesizer that you play with rubber mallets).

Nowadays I just goof around on my guitar and write music on seldom occasion.

tKeR

Member!
Reaction score
Lol a guitarist that doesn't want to learn chords? Change instruments buddy.
He obviously means he wants to play lead over rhythm. Rhythm guitarists defiantely need good knowledge of chords but lead can get away without it.

As for my musical experiences. I play rhythm and mostly only jammed too but I've been on stage a few times. I also used to play percussion in HS band.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Flea wasn't to be in a metal band. No worries. You don't have to know how to play your instrument to be in a metal band. Everybody knows this. You just have to know how to hold the instrument.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
I've been in too many bands / groups to count or remember, playing everything from a xylophone to a clarinet, saxaphone to a guitar, drums to a standing bass. Music is, pretty much, my entire life.

Oh and I rap now. Kinda. My other band (Anatomy of Vice) fell through when two or our members just decided to bail and move to kentucky for no apparnt reason.

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Flea wasn't to be in a metal band. No worries. You don't have to know how to play your instrument to be in a metal band. Everybody knows this. You just have to know how to hold the instrument.
i started learning guitar cuz i was seriously bored. now i dont have much time to learn it its mostly studying nowadays. cant wait til holidays. and i didnt start guitar to be in a band i just wanted to show off
you're gonna have to learn chords if you want to play guitar
reply at bottom
Lol a guitarist that doesn't want to learn chords? Change instruments buddy.
how hard is it to learn power chords? when i meant chords i meant those c,d, e etc chords. id rather just learn scales and play notes/melody with power chords rather than learning all these chords that i might not use. i mean how many ppl play those chords with 11 distortion on?

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
When you learn to play guitar you should sit outside of stores and play your guitar. Those kinds of people are always awesome and they probably make good money. I always give them a dollar and change if they are playing awesome songs.