Your IP.

Brandon

Member!
Reaction score
You know your computer has an IP can it do you damage if ppl get a hold of it? I went to a website for some funny videos and it sayed , your stupid but thanks for your ip (##.##.###.###) and all your other information. Should i be scared? i never put anything with any name or nothing on the internet with my name.. :rolleyes

Krhak

Reaction score
No, you shouldn't...the admins here can see your IP address.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.

I can see your IP, just so you know ;)

But no, as long as you don't download any trojans or piss someone off enough to DOS you, you are fine ;)

Brandon

Member!
Reaction score
omfg thanks! Scared the hell out of me tho, lol

COTA-GoD

Member!
Reaction score
Your IP is basicly your Address, if you piss someone off enough, they will knock down your door and beat the **** out of you.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
^^ Nice analogy :D

Some moderators have the ability to see IP's in their sections (some being the key word), SMods can view, staff can view, and admins can view, if you were wondering about what level of staff or members can view. That's all who has permission.

Magikarp

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
How can people cause damage to your computer just by having your IP address, anyway? I guess they could try to send you stuff, but if you're not a douche who agrees to everything that pops up, there shouldn't be any danger, right?

Or can someone do more than that with your IP address, and through what?

Death_Noodle

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
www.noodledesigns.net
They can ddos you like JD said, what it does is it floods your connection using your brandwith

Wikipedia said:
A denial-of-service attack (also, DoS attack) is an attack on a computer system or network that causes a loss of service to users, typically the loss of network connectivity and services by consuming the bandwidth of the victim network or overloading the computational resources of the victim system.

COTA-GoD

Member!
Reaction score
ddosing is nothing unless you h ost a huge site. What they can do is port scan you , and find some avilable exploits, or if your accually a good hacker, im sure you have a exploit program that goes thru and finds them all itself. Anyways, they then use the exploits to gain control of your computer, then they blow it up with some c4, done deal.

KOLOSSAL

Hi Friends
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Don't worry man. People can't do shit to ya. Just get a nice little firewall and stop worrying about it.

By the way, my IP is not and I repeat not 205.221.233.32

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Actually, it is ;)

Here's an example of bad things that can happen with your IP. This one guy used to be my best friend (bad things happened that changed that REAL friggin fast) and he pissed me off one day. Beings I knew the root password to his computer and his IP address, what I did was port scan his computer and found the ports that were open (He used Kazaa, and beings that is a HUGE frikkin port to be open, I took advantage), ran about 12 65kb ping attacks dropping his bandwidth down so hard that he couldn't even stay connected to AIM (my download pwns all upload...), then I turned those off when he left his computer thinking that his cable was out. Then I made a telnet session using that port, logged in under the root account and loaded him up with a stealthC boot virus (really OLD virus) with a timed BAT file to launch it.

Now, how dangerous is it that I know everyone's IP address?

In case you were wondering, I cleaned up my mess like...2 days after I did it...drama is bad enough without jail time...of course then he deleted a lot of my site (he had FTP access that I had givin him a long time ago, what a 1337 hax0r he was :rolleyes) so um...I don't think I'll be getting in much trouble for letting the whole world know of my mallicious computer crimes.

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
jd-inflames said:
Actually, it is ;)

Here's an example of bad things that can happen with your IP. This one guy used to be my best friend (bad things happened that changed that REAL friggin fast) and he pissed me off one day. Beings I knew the root password to his computer and his IP address, what I did was port scan his computer and found the ports that were open (He used Kazaa, and beings that is a HUGE frikkin port to be open, I took advantage), ran about 12 65kb ping attacks dropping his bandwidth down so hard that he couldn't even stay connected to AIM (my download pwns all upload...), then I turned those off when he left his computer thinking that his cable was out. Then I made a telnet session using that port, logged in under the root account and loaded him up with a stealthC boot virus (really OLD virus) with a timed BAT file to launch it.

Now, how dangerous is it that I know everyone's IP address?

In case you were wondering, I cleaned up my mess like...2 days after I did it...drama is bad enough without jail time...of course then he deleted a lot of my site (he had FTP access that I had givin him a long time ago, what a 1337 hax0r he was :rolleyes) so um...I don't think I'll be getting in much trouble for letting the whole world know of my mallicious computer crimes.
Your e-wang just grew by 5 inch, good job.
ON topic: Unless you use a proxy server, your IP, thereby world location and internet provider, your browser and version and various other information is transfered to every server you connect to in any way (on the HTTP).

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
No, just proving why protecting yourself is a good thing. If he would have been running some sort of a firewall or anything as such, I would have had no clue how to get around it, as would half the people with the slightest bit of networking knowlege.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
jd-inflames said:
and beings that is a HUGE frikkin port to be open, I took advantage
Rofl a port is a port buddy, there's no 'huge' or comparison to do with it. It's a number, that's all.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
COTA-GoD said:
obviouslly he knows that.............get to know a person before you try to flame them.
#1 How could he know that if exactly what he said contradicts that? dumbass

#2 You think that is a flame? pathetic

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
No, I won't count that as a flame.

And I realize that a port is either open or closed, but Kazaa is just begging for plucking with active connections in and out. Even if he were to try and pin something on me, how is he to know which of the hundred is me?

₪Zeratul₪

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.blizzard.com
ping attacks? lol, thats cute. I will have to try that sometime.

kairama15

Member!
Reaction score
I think that you shouldn't be alarmed because only cops can find where you are at if they get a hold of you IP. I'm not exactly sure, but Im like 90 %.