• Russia

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Britain

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

Ashigaru

Premium Member
Reaction score
Who do you think play the biggest role in it? If you dont think only 1 played the biggest role then dont vote. I'll try and keep my first post non-biased.

US- The US really only played a big part in the planning in Project Overlord (D-Day invasion) and in supplying tanks and aircraft. Before you say the US didn't help much, remember that the US was also fighting a war in the Pacific, a fact all you non-Americans so conveniently overlook. Japan wasn't exactly a pushover, well not until the bombs were dropped and they gave up.

Britain- Don’t really know all that much about the British role, so I'll not talk about something I don’t know about. All I really know about is their raids and support on D-Day.

Russia- Through the beginning of the war Russia was fight a defensive war (and slightly losing). If it wasn't for the fact that Stalin was a poor leader and the Russia was sucker-punched they may have played a huge role in the war, not that they didnt play a big part as it was.

shimshimheyxD

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I would say US because they did all the important attacks

But the British had an important attack called Pegasus Bridge. It eventually failed for a moment but then they held the place for a very long time.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Russia, no doubt. They bloody hell hold plenty of the German forces in their land. Even if using General Winter in the process. The US and the UK were both also important, but the major threat was in Europe's continental territory (if the Nazis took it, it'd be really, really hard for the others to defeat it).

shimshimheyxD

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
But Russia wass madddd poor.. like only people who were skilled enuf got guns, the rest got like ammo.. they did hav important battles but they had the most casualtys...

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ashigaru said:
Who do you think play the biggest role in it? If you dont think only 1 played the biggest role then dont vote. I'll try and keep my first post non-biased.

US- The US really only played a big part in the planning in Project Overlord (D-Day invasion) and in supplying tanks and aircraft. Before you say the US didn't help much, remember that the US was also fighting a war in the Pacific, a fact all you non-Americans so conveniently overlook. Japan wasn't exactly a pushover, well not until the bombs were dropped and they gave up.

Britain- Don’t really know all that much about the British role, so I'll not talk about something I don’t know about. All I really know about is their raids and support on D-Day.

Russia- Through the beginning of the war Russia was fight a defensive war (and slightly losing). If it wasn't for the fact that Stalin was a poor leader and the Russia was sucker-punched they may have played a huge role in the war, not that they didnt play a big part as it was.

First of all threads such as this are pointless. Whoever made the most contribution is not a matter of opinion its a matter of a fact. Most people here (excluding myself) don't know much about WW2, for example the guy who posted above me. The fact is that Russia contributed most, here are the reasons why:

1. 75% of German troops and German machinery and German troops and troops of their satelites (Austria, Finland, etc) died on Eastern front. Over ten million in total, thats Germans and their allies. While the number of Germans and their allies killed in the whole war was 13 million, that means that americans and the brits only killed less then 3 million.

2. Three times as many tanks, planes, trucks, and artillery pieces were destroyed or captured on the Eastern front then on the western front.

3. Because Hitler's attempt to conquer Russia failed he was restricted access to the resources which he needed to go on in the war.

4. Russians took berlin

Hope thats enough facts for you. I can do more. I can also provide facts on American contribution, i am a 100% sure that i know more then you.

-xP_wx- said:
But Russia wass madddd poor.. like only people who were skilled enuf got guns, the rest got like ammo.. they did hav important battles but they had the most casualtys...
Please don't tell me that you believe what Call of Duty and Enemy at the gate tells you. Thats just not true, every Russian had a gun, and only batalions that had NKVD units with machine guns behind them during battles were Shtrafbat batalions, and not all of them, Shtrafbats were formed out of political, military and civilian prisoners (those prisoners were soviets who commited some kind of offence, for example get captured by Germans, and escape alive, or make a joke agaisnt comrade Stalin or Lenin, but sore were civilian criminals who volunteered to go to war instead of staying in Gulag, knowing tha Gulag was a heaven compared to the front.)

Russia was mad poor? We had third largest production on earth in 1942, we made enough tanks and planes to crush both Luftwahen and Panzer korps. It was a Great Patriotic War, everyone worked for free. Those people in Leningrad a million of who died from starvation in a year of blockade, still went to the factories and made shells for less then a piece of bread a day.

As for casualties, a number of men who died in service of Red Army during WW2 was 12 million, a number of casualties of Germans and their allies who fought the Red Army was 10 million, plus remember that in the beggining of the war we were caught of guard, and it took Kremlin 2 weeks to release the official order and make any organizational acts. More then 2 million died in two weeks because they didn't knwo where the enemy was coming from, where they can get back up, when the food and ammo is gonna get delivered, and other things such as that and Germans killed many because of that chaos which was created by their surprise attack.

-xP_wx- said:
But the British had an important attack called Pegasus Bridge. It eventually failed for a moment but then they held the place for a very long time.
Once again don't listen to everything videogames tell you. Pegasus was not a bridge it was a british operation of taking hold of several bridges along the allied path of advance, so the troops that invaded normandy and took the beaches wouldn't have to take out the bridges and Germans wouldn't blow the bridges up and slow down the allied advance.

Biggest contribution done by Britain was in the Battle of Britain. British defeated the Luftwahen and for that reason Luftwahhen invading Russia was stripped of most of its most skilled pilots and a great amount of fighter planes.

Ashigaru

Premium Member
Reaction score
Kuzmich said:
Hope thats enough facts for you. I can do more. I can also provide facts on American contribution, i am a 100% sure that i know more then you.
I'm sure you do. If you really do have more facts then please do post them. Im waiting to see more facts about the 3 before I submit my vote.

The fact the Russia fought so hard and tied up so many of the german forces was a great help to the other members of the Allies, I dont think anyone tried to argue that.

Slightly off topic but you gotta admit the Germans did do a hell of a job, they did manage to hold of 2 major powers, 3 after 1944, for a fairly long time.

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ashigaru said:
I'm sure you do. If you really do have more facts then please do post them. Im waiting to see more facts about the 3 before I submit my vote.

The fact the Russia fought so hard and tied up so many of the german forces was a great help to the other members of the Allies, I dont think anyone tried to argue that.

Slightly off topic but you gotta admit the Germans did do a hell of a job, they did manage to hold of 2 major powers, 3 after 1944, for a fairly long time.
US and Britain invaded Africa in 1941, meaning that Germany had to fight 3 major powers for 4 years.

The thing that i consider to be the greatest contribution by Americans is their Lend-Lease programs. If not for them England would probably loose Battle of Britan and it would take Russia much longer time to push the Germans back. Most of the Lend-Lease prducts were non-combat, stuff like food (SPAM), phone wires, trucks. Also some resources, like Alumium and oil, plus the anti-freeze component which made Russian tanks more durable to cold. As for the combat part, i can't say that american contribution can be considered vital to the Allied success.

shimshimheyxD

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dam games corrupt my life

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
-xP_wx- said:
dam games corrupt my life
You should read some books. Where is a very good book in english that talks about realities of war on the Eastern Front. Its called Appocalypse, i don't remember the author. But where are also many good books in Russian that i am sure were translated.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
i think that germany played the biggest role in ww2. I mean, if they didnt invade poland, and russia did by themselves, it would be the world vs russia...a different war

Undead Cheese

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Kuzmich said:
Whoever made the most contribution is not a matter of opinion its a matter of a fact. Most people here (excluding myself) don't know much about WW2
Maybe you do, but you consistently get your numbers wrong. ;)

Kuzmich said:
The fact is that Russia contributed most, here are the reasons why:
Militarily: Russia (no competition)
Logistically: United States (no competition)

Neither side would have won without the other.

Kuzmich said:
1. 75% of German troops and German machinery and German troops and troops of their satelites (Austria, Finland, etc) died on Eastern front. Over ten million in total, thats Germans and their allies. While the number of Germans and their allies killed in the whole war was 13 million, that means that americans and the brits only killed less then 3 million.
Here's the numbers for Germany, Italy, and Japan + the two countries you listed (Austria and Finland) (link)
GERMANY: 3,250,000
JAPAN: 1,506,000
ITALY: 330,000
AUSTRIA: 380,000
FINLAND: 79,000
TOTAL: 5,545,000

That's about half of what you said. Unless, of course, you're including civilian deaths in your numbers. But, then again, why would you be bragging about civilian deaths? (clarify)

Kuzmich said:
4. Russians took berlin
Rather insignificant.

Kuzmich said:
Russia was mad poor? We had third largest production on earth in 1942, we made enough tanks and planes to crush both Luftwahen and Panzer korps. It was a Great Patriotic War, everyone worked for free. Those people in Leningrad a million of who died from starvation in a year of blockade, still went to the factories and made shells for less then a piece of bread a day.
Read the parts highlighted in red.

Kuzmich said:
As for casualties, a number of men who died in service of Red Army during WW2 was 12 million
Soviet Union (military): 8,668,000 (link)
You're off by about 4 million.

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Undead Cheese said:
Maybe you do, but you consistently get your numbers wrong. ;)

Militarily: Russia (no competition)
Logistically: United States (no competition)

Neither side would have won without the other.

Here's the numbers for Germany, Italy, and Japan + the two countries you listed (Austria and Finland) (link)
GERMANY: 3,250,000
JAPAN: 1,506,000
ITALY: 330,000
AUSTRIA: 380,000
FINLAND: 79,000
TOTAL: 5,545,000

That's about half of what you said. Unless, of course, you're including civilian deaths in your numbers. But, then again, why would you be bragging about civilian deaths? (clarify)

Rather insignificant.

Read the parts highlighted in red.

Soviet Union (military): 8,668,000 (link)
You're off by about 4 million.

Here is my source

http://www.strelna.ru/en/chronology_navy/238/1

As for casualties you did not include those suffered by German satelites, where were more of them then just Austria, and Finland. All that adde up to more then 10 million people.

taken out of my link said:
Germany and its satellites lost over 10,000,000 men on the Eastern Front, while its overall death toll in World War II amounted to 13,600,000. In WWII Hitler's Germany suffered severe materiel losses, of which 75 per cent occurred on the Soviet-German front, including 50,878 armored vehicles, 493,439 artillery pieces and mortars, and 101,671 warplanes.

Undead Cheese

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Kuzmich said:
As for casualties you did not include those suffered by German satelites, where were more of them then just Austria, and Finland. All that adde up to more then 10 million people.
I doubt they'd account for the 5 million person gap. There seems to be conflicting numbers, however. I'll check some encyclopedias tonight and see which set of numbers they agree with more.

RuneyPoo

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The United States played a very big roll in WW2, they were at war with Japan for about a year before D-Day. Pearl Harbor got owned by Japan during that time. Russia was there through the whole thing, along with all the other European Countries.

Great Britain was playing a huge roll in the Access powers as well, they stayed at war with Germany and Italy and Turkey(w/e it was called during that time.) They lost millions of soldiers during the war.

Russia switched powers in WW2 though, from Germany to G.B.. It was sad really, Germany shouldn't of tried to **** them over...

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
You know what, biggest role?

Britain could never defeat Germany, U.S. could never have defeated the Germans, Russia could never have defeated the Germans. It was a combined effort. You are all trying to focus on one country. It doesn't matter who you think played the biggest role, the biggest contribution came from a combined effort.

Lets also not forget there were other countries in the war, like Canada. Canadians who submitted millions of soldiers. Juno beach on D-Day was taken by Canadian soldiers. Canadian soldiers that were sent to thier deaths during Operation Jubilee. or the Fact Canadians would fly planes in the battle of Britain. Or Canada who at the time had the third largest navy in the world would keep britain alive with convoys for supply ships. And lets not forget invasions in Sicily and Italy where Canadians fought.

point is, everything in unison worked. No single country could defeat Germany, those bastards were tough. Though you have to give it to Hitler for being a retard

Ashigaru

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say that the US could be capable of defeating Germany alone. Not because I'm from the US but because the US and Germany are pretty far apart, a major invasion would be next to impossible. Also after Japan surrendered that would mean Germany would be fighting 2 fronts causing them to split there forces in half. Knowing that Hitler relied on the blitzkrieg he would have to come up with a new plan, and we know Hitler sucks at planning. However if it came down to the US and Germany fighting only each other atomic weapons would have played a huge role.

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Runexten said:
The United States played a very big roll in WW2, they were at war with Japan for about a year before D-Day. Pearl Harbor got owned by Japan during that time. Russia was there through the whole thing, along with all the other European Countries.

Great Britain was playing a huge roll in the Access powers as well, they stayed at war with Germany and Italy and Turkey(w/e it was called during that time.) They lost millions of soldiers during the war.

Russia switched powers in WW2 though, from Germany to G.B.. It was sad really, Germany shouldn't of tried to **** them over...
Actually US was at war with Japan for 4 years, starting two years from D-day. Just so you know.

As for Russia being allied with Germany at the beggining, well lets see, Germany was our ally, we exchanged weapons, and other products, Russia basically fueled up and few the German army until the Non-agression pact was broken.

Now GB, France and US were our enemies, ideological enemies, who didn't recognize USSR as a country until 1923, while it was established in 1917. So we either had a choise to help our enemies (GB, France, US) or to help our friends (Germany) and thats why we helped them with Poland.

British never lost millions of soldiers, they lsot hundreds of thousands, much the same as US.

Biggest contribution done by Britain was victory in Battle of Britain and weakening of Luftwahhen, that would overwise, not allow the Allied bombers to strike a lethal blow to German industrial sector and criple the German war machine.

Russia however did loose millions and unlike other allies killed millions of Germans and destroyed or captured thousands of their military vehicles, artillery pieces, fighter planes, trucks, anti-aircraft weapons, machine guns, and a lot of items. A dominating majority of the German forces were on the Eastern front at all times during the war. If you compare the numbers Brits and Yanks together had to face much less then a half of what Russia had to face, alone.

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ashigaru said:
I'd have to say that the US could be capable of defeating Germany alone. Not because I'm from the US but because the US and Germany are pretty far apart, a major invasion would be next to impossible. Also after Japan surrendered that would mean Germany would be fighting 2 fronts causing them to split there forces in half. Knowing that Hitler relied on the blitzkrieg he would have to come up with a new plan, and we know Hitler sucks at planning. However if it came down to the US and Germany fighting only each other atomic weapons would have played a huge role.
Hitler was fighting a two front war while Japan was still undefeated. Japan was defeated after the Germany failed. Germans had a way of attacking america. They even build a specialized bomber called Amerika Bomber, it would be able to bypass your defenses and deliver a lethal blow. But by the time they created first prototypes it would already be too late. But if you say that Germany had to fight only the US and not Russia, US and UK, then germans would be able to make enough jet fighters (first invented by the Germans, they are the only ones that had those in the end of WW2), full force of Luftwahen, would have smashed the the american air force. German troops, most of which in your scenario wouldn't be on the eastern front, would wipe out american army. Americans would have to fight 4 times the amount of the enemy they had to fight in all of their theaters combined, because thats how many were on the eastern front. Plus Germany had other Allies like Austria. German tanks would beat american tanks without much difficulty. German airforce would launch bombing raids, devastating American industry. Destroying even your airforce bases from where you would launch your bombers carrying atomic bombs, although if US and Germany only fought each other, US would be defeated long before the development of atomic bomb was complete.

If Germany fought US alone, Germany would win, if US and UK together fought against germany, Germany would win.