WOW Beta from an SC players point of view

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I thought they were done with the Beta Testing of WOW, but the other day I got an email saying I was accepted, got the bit torent address, CD key, etc…. 1.4 gig+ later and I have a beta of WOW.

I still haven’t decided whether a happy dance is called for.

So far here are a few of my observations about this game, please forgive the fact that I don‘t use the proper names I‘m an SC player and didn‘t feel like doing the research.
Also, a lot of this may have been discussed in other threads, but I wanted to tell what I have seen.

When you are level 1 and in the human realms.
A cow is indestructible, don‘t waste your time unless your in the mood to chase a cow and take practice swings.
A rabbit will lead you on an endless race after the first hit.
A wolf will kill you unless you have help.
There are these little green dudes with a candle on their head, out in the open in broad daylight, it’s an almost even match, but unless you unarm yourself you should win.
But, if you meet up with them underground, you are dead, they must have better night vision.
Spiders = death, don’t mess with them unless you are level 6 or so or have a lot of help.
Bandits = death
And those small green guys that live by the river = death also.

I switched to the big Bull guy Toron or whatever.

Everything I went to fight was at least level 6, either I went to the wrong areas first or something is very wrong.

I switched to Undead, that guy rocks.

I started with rat killin, moved to wolves and bats, then to mindless zombies, one armed zombies and then to level 3 guards, and I was still at level 2.
Aparently being super angry helps quite a bit, so I never took more than a few seconds rest so I wouldn’t calm down.
Right before I hit level 4 somebody came up behind me and killed me on the second strike.

I haven’t tried the other 2 races yet, but plan too, I just can’t imagine that little guy doing as much damage as the others.

You start the game in a training area of sorts, once you are killed from the original first game, you are resurrected in a completely different world, so if you plan to kill stuff later, don’t die until you are level 6 or more, or have a lot of copper and some silver to buy better weapons and armor.
Or be ready to make a new character and start over from scratch.

The forest worlds are neat, but not much more than what I was expecting, the cities are awesome, I can’t imagine how long it took to set up the graphics for those.
The underground city for Undead is huge.

OK, now you can call me a newb, I probably deserve it, especially after I ask this question.
How do you talk to people during game play???

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
Press enter to open the chat then type text and press enter again to send it. It will show up as white. If you want to talk to the people who ae talking in gray you have to press enter, type /1 then space, and talk. You will have to press /1 whenever you want to talk. Doing /1 it makes it so everyone in the area can talk, it's like a chat room, but it changes as you go further on. To whisper, you do /w *user name*. To shout so a lot of people in the same area can hear you type /yell *text here*, and to talk to your guild type /g *text here*. You have to press enter to initialize the chat and enter to end it. :)

You are so lucky. :(

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
So is chat ranged, as in hitting "enter" will only travel to the closest or a certain distance, and if you want to talk long distances you use the other commands?

Does hilighting the person with the left button make any difference?

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
Chat is ranged. Regular chat only reaches so far(I don't know how far), shouting reaches far away, and the /1 chat reaches everyone in the area. Why would you need to highlight someone? It's pretty easy to get used to the different type of chat commands, you'll get used to it.

tassadar920

Member!
Reaction score
Are you doing quests at all???? It sounds like your aimlessly running around...

To get the quets go to the dudes with big yellow things above their heads,.

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I got a dwarf going and got him to level 8, did at least 6 quests, found Iron Forge I think it is called, their main city...

o m g

I thought Undeads main city was something.

Here is a minor quest for anyone that wants it.
Find the Dwarves fish tank.
You will have to get off from the easy path to find it

What is this where people are dancing???
I got on a monorail and sat down behind a human doing his thang in front of me, I about died laughing.

Now I must look away from the video screen for a while, my eyes are suffering from 3D overload.
I'm saving screen shots of a few interesting things as I come upon them.

Oh, major warning, though you may be able to swin in water and green goop, you cannot swim in molten iron.
You'll find yourself in the cemetary asking for restoration very quickly.

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dancing is hilarious. Especially watching NE women do it. You should really watch that. I got lost in Iron Forge too. My friend suggested me to jump in the iron, well I died. I couldn't find my way back to my body because I kept getting lost. It ressurected me outside of Iron Forge at the bottom of the mountain, and I could not find my way back into Iron Forge, and it took a long time. To make things worse, I finally found my body, but I jumped into the lava. I was a ghost running around the lava. I couldn't find my way out, then I asked on the stress test forums how to get out. I didn't know about /stuck and I felt stupid when I found out. It took me two hours to get back where I wanted, but then I couldn't find the grypons for another hour. You are lucky you have WoW. :)

Stryder

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
There should be a pointer to your corpse on the mini-map, follow it and it will lead you to it.

Btw: the Orc do the "Can't Touch This" dance.

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. The problem was I couldn't get there. I didn't know where to get into Iron Forge and all the point did was point. It would run me into the mountain side, and I couldn't find my way there. I had to explore everywhere and I finally found my way in.

Stryder

Reaction score
Andrew said:
Yeah, I know. The problem was I couldn't get there. I didn't know where to get into Iron Forge and all the point did was point. It would run me into the mountain side, and I couldn't find my way there. I had to explore everywhere and I finally found my way in.
Happen when I first went there, but thank god for the Map, helps a ton.

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
The maps should really include the entrance to Iron Forge because all I saw was mountains and I got soooooooooo lost. My friend was sitting next to me laughing because I couldn't find my way back.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
You're lucky this game even has a map. DAoC never had any maps, other than the one you get with the game (little foldout thing)

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Crookedfoot said:
You start the game in a training area of sorts, once you are killed from the original first game, you are resurrected in a completely different world, so if you plan to kill stuff later, don’t die until you are level 6 or more, or have a lot of copper and some silver to buy better weapons and armor. Or be ready to make a new character and start over from scratch.
You don't have to pay any money to "resurrect". All you have to do, is run back to your corpse.

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I have yet to get reimbursed for going back to my corpse, is there a special trick once you get there?
Not that it really matters, within 10 minutes I usuall kill enough to get back what it cost.

Here are some screenies, to save page load time, I posted the links rather than fill the thread with pictures.

I backed this guy up into a corner, when he died he fused into the wall, now just how am I expected to get my booty from him when I can't get to his pockets?

www.battleforums.com/images/wowscreens/sc1.jpg

I thought this guy just died in such a neat way I'd share it.

www.battleforums.com/images/wowscreens/sc2.jpg

I was trying to time making a screen shot to when I was going to level up, but hit it a little too soon, but I thought the victory cry was a keeper anyway.

www.battleforums.com/images/wowscreens/sc3.jpg

I did catch leveling up on this one

www.battleforums.com/images/wowscreens/sc4.jpg

Wandering around Iron Forge I found a shop where they train your pet demons, I guess this one is being trained to dig out dust bunnies from under the bed.

www.battleforums.com/images/wowscreens/sc5.jpg

When wandering around, don't forget to look up from time to time.

www.battleforums.com/images/wowscreens/sc6.jpg
www.battleforums.com/images/wowscreens/sc8.jpg

Windigoes die so nice, but I'll never figure out what a big nasty white beasty covered with fur would be doing carrying weapons and $$.

www.battleforums.com/images/wowscreens/sc7.jpg

I found out a cute almost glitch, take note I am standing in thin air.

www.battleforums.com/images/wowscreens/sc9.jpg

I stepped onto a treasure chest and opened it, after the contents were given too me the chest vanished but I was still in the air.

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
Screenshot 1: You can still loot them from a short distance, but I'm sure he didn't have anything that important anyways.

Screenshot 2: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :) I've seen funnier ones!

Screenshot 3: The Dwarves have so much pride and enjoy killing. Must be fun using a Dwarf. I like the humans, personally.

Screenshot 4: Congrats on leveling up. Leveling up may seem fast, but it will decrease in the retail. They just want people to test the game and they don't have all day.

Screenshot 5: It's a graphical bug. As you know, there are a bunch of them, and most of them are funny. The fel-stalker looks funny like that.

Screenshot 6: I know you love that achitecture!

Screenshot 7: Yeah, every monster generally has an item. You get gold fast, I had like 2 gold at the end of stress test. :)

Screenshot 8: Ooooo.. crystals!

Screenshot 9: I've done that before too. You look like a super hero or something.

Nice screenshots, Crooked.

:doh

Stryder

Reaction score
Think you need to enable Simple Chat to fix that overlapping on the Combat log and Chat log.

Here some SS of mines I kept since it was fun, kinda.

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload7/WoW1.jpg Emperor room in Blackrock Depth

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload7/WoW2.jpg In the Bar in Blackrock Depth, under the stairs

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload7/WoW3.jpg Killing the last boss of Blackrock Spire

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload5/WoW4.jpg At Stratholme, A ss of a person taking the item, but on mistake.

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I've since set the combat log to a lower placement so that I really am now unaware of it, what is displays over the people I'm fighting is plenty, if I need more info I'll drag it back up and look.
I've seen those hearts before with people and their pets, I assumed it was a bonding time or something, but aparently Blizzard left room for cybering??

By the way, how do you dance, is it some hidden command like [ctrl] D?

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
No. It's /dance in the chat log. Press enter like you are going to talk then press /dance and enter it. :D You dance until you move out of it.