Why is it that...

_JaKE

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
all the exclusivly for gamecube games suck? Mario, donkey kong, kirby? the only good ones where ssbm, and mario kart. and the metroid, zeldas. they dont know what a good fps is? ms has halo, ps2 has killzone. Can any plz recommend any good fps?

Hitsua

+
Reaction score
I don't remember there being a Mario Kart for Gamecube. And Nintendo hasn't had a history of FPS's, with the exception of GoldenEye. If you want a game like Halo, go play Halo.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Gamecube had Mario Kart:Double Dash

You wnat a good FPS? Metroid Prime. Halo is a garbage game. Resident evil 4 anyone?

Halo? Garbage
Killzone? Terrible
Did you see how bad they butchered Doom3 for xbox? How stupid SOCOM is for PS2?

_JaKE

Reaction score
you have it wrtong, im npot bashing gc, btw metroid prime is not really an fps, more adventure. its used the r button to look around, and you lock on to targets and scan stuff. all i wanted is an fps, it doesnt even have to be exclusivly 4 gc.

_JaKE

Reaction score
pan said:
Gamecube had Mario Kart:Double Dash

You wnat a good FPS? Metroid Prime. Halo is a garbage game. Resident evil 4 anyone?

Halo? Garbage
Killzone? Terrible
Did you see how bad they butchered Doom3 for xbox? How stupid SOCOM is for PS2?
i played both game, halo sucks ass, but i have to say killzone is ****ing awsome

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Metroid Prime is definately a FPS, just a more Sci Fi one.

Also, two other FPS that come to mind were Killer7 and Geist.

There were also a bunch of James bond/Medal of honor games, and TimeSplitters.

and a bunch of tom Clancy games.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The problem is that people use FPS to describe BOTH camera perspective and genre. That's a problem because they are a combo of both. First Person is the camera, shooter is the genre.

So let me ask you, what is more important, the genre itself? Or the way you look at the game with the camera?

If you want a game that involves fighting hordes of stupid AI bots, these would be action games.

However, the case with an action game in the first person, where a gun is used, there is a focus on aiming your shots as fast as you can. Then the goal is to aim as well as you can, which is not existent in games like Dynasty Warriors or X-men Legends.

So basically, Metroid Prime can not fit into this area because aiming is already done for since it's lock-on. Even if it was not locked on, the game is about traveling to areas, more so than shooting stupid enemy AI, which is why I coin it as a platformer (yes, in the same level as Mario). Heck, you could (and should) avoid fighting most of the time as it just wastes time.

So the closest thing I could match Halo and Killzone with is Time Splitters 2. It might not have the detailed story that the others have, but its packed with a good deal of features such as mapmaker, 10 bots and lots of challenges.

Halo, Killzone and Time Splitters are all first person action games. Metroid Prime would be a first person platformer. There IS shooting in it, but I consider genre to describe what you do for MOST of the game. In MP's case, it's traveling from area to area.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Revelade said:
So basically, Metroid Prime can not fit into this area because aiming is already done for since it's lock-on. Even if it was not locked on, the game is about traveling to areas, more so than shooting stupid enemy AI, which is why I coin it as a platformer (yes, in the same level as Mario). Heck, you could (and should) avoid fighting most of the time as it just wastes time.
Halo, Killzone and Time Splitters are all first person action games. Metroid Prime would be a first person platformer. There IS shooting in it, but I consider genre to describe what you do for MOST of the game. In MP's case, it's traveling from area to area.
Have you actualy PLAYED Metroid Prime or what? Not alot of shooting? You lost all credibility when you say the game is based around exploring areas.
MP is a First person Shooter, which is adventure oriented. It is more along the lines of Half life, with more emphasis on teh entire experience, not a run around and shoot the shit out of everything. But to not call MP a non FPS, is to show a general lack for the understanding of genre's in video games.

_JaKE

Reaction score
alright i have found these games so far, which i get first?
Call of duty
call of duty, big red one
MoH: European Assault
Ghost recon
Splintercell: chaos theory
Splintercell: Pandora tommorow
Rainbow 6: Lockdown
Geist
Timesplitters
King Kong

Apparently there are alot of tom clancy games on gc

i would rather the game to have a multiplayer (splitscreen or co-op) cus, my brother owns the gc with me and he doenst like when i buy a 1player and play it for 6 hrs till i beat it
Also, i conmsider fps, basicly the MoH, ect style, you know what i mean, where you run out of bullets, & there are many guns, ect

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
pan said:
Have you actualy PLAYED Metroid Prime or what? Not alot of shooting? You lost all credibility when you say the game is based around exploring areas.
MP is a First person Shooter, which is adventure oriented. It is more along the lines of Half life, with more emphasis on teh entire experience, not a run around and shoot the shit out of everything. But to not call MP a non FPS, is to show a general lack for the understanding of genre's in video games.
Okay Pan, I'll argue.

And yes, I have played the game, owned the game and BEAT the game. In fact, I find it odd how you think it is BASED on shooting, when it's quite the opposite. You don't think it's based on exploring areas? So you're saying when the creators labeled it an adventure game, that means that it's about shooting enemies? Odd, indeed.

MP uses the first person CAMERA. I can make a racing game with this. That means first person is NOT limited to shooters, so let's throw this out. So then you're argument becomes, Metroid is a "shooting" game, which means the majority of the time, you are shooting enemies.

I'll state the obvious first. Metroid can not be considered a game based on shooting, or rather, aiming because it uses LOCK-ON, AUTO aiming. If you remove the difficulty of aiming, the focus just becomes if you attack or not. The game doesn't force you to improve aiming which Halo or Counter-Strike does.

Second of all, there are areas where you can (and should) AVOID enemies. Look at the area where you enter the sun chamber to fight the plant thing. Those green tentacle things can NOT be destroyed, therefore they must be AVOIDED. Likewise, in the area before the final boss, you face Metroids that duplicate when shot at. It would be wiser to ignore these enemies too.

Finally, you have to to blind to ignore the fact that all the items you get ALLOW YOU TO GET TO NEW AREAS. Spider ball? You can now use the rails to GET TO NEW AREAS. Double jump? Well, now you can jump higher to GET TO NEW AREAS. Charge ball? Well, now you can use the half-pipes to GET TO NEW AREAS. Getting to new areas, in spite of environmental obstacles is the definition of platforming.

I don't know why I have to explain this to you, but Metroid is about collecting your equipment to get to new areas, until you get to the last area to fight the final boss and win.

So please, explain to us how exactly Metroid is focused on shooting, when it uses autoaim, stupid AI enemies, has portions where you should AVOID enemies and when the items you get are based on GETTING TO NEW AREAS.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Revelade said:
Okay Pan, I'll argue
Okay, just don't hurt yourself.

And yes, I have played the game, owned the game and BEAT the game. In fact, I find it odd how you think it is BASED on shooting, when it's quite the opposite. You don't think it's based on exploring areas? So you're saying when the creators labeled it an adventure game, that means that it's about shooting enemies? Odd, indeed.
Well, that is interesting you should say that. It is labelled a First Person Adventure for several reasons. The main one being marketing. You think a parent is going to buy thier kid a game that is labbeled a shooter? Nintendo wants to market it properly. When asked, the developers even admitted that the game is basicly a first person shooter.

MP uses the first person CAMERA. I can make a racing game with this. That means first person is NOT limited to shooters, so let's throw this out. So then you're argument becomes, Metroid is a "shooting" game, which means the majority of the time, you are shooting enemies.
Becuase of course you never fight any enemies. Of couse! I was so blind to realize, I could just walk through the locked doors that required me to use my First person Perspective and my gun, which shoots, to destroy a shit load of enemies all over the game. Well of course I never had to use all the different weapons, missles etc. to kill those powerful bosses! No! It's an advernture game, I just jump on their heads like mario right? Right?

I'll state the obvious first. Metroid can not be considered a game based on shooting, or rather, aiming because it uses LOCK-ON, AUTO aiming.
So now, suddenly "shooting == aiming".
Only games you really need to aim are games like Halo and Counterstrike. There wasn't a hellofalota aiming in shooters in the 90s. Goldeneye all you really had to do was point your gun in the general direction of an enemy, and your gun moved to hit the target. Your ability to aim a gun doesn't mean that it's any mroe of a shooting game. In metroid Prime, you can aim manually, and at many points you have to.

If you remove the difficulty of aiming, the focus just becomes if you attack or not. The game doesn't force you to improve aiming which Halo or Counter-Strike does.
Once again, I go back to Goldeneye which never had a huge emphasis on aiming, in fact the original Doom never did either. It was mostly handicapped left or right and fire. Metroid has autolocking, but that doesn't take away from the fact many of the enemies are fast, none of those stupid zombies, often fly. Other enemies you can't lock on, even one of the bosses require aiming. You like to try and make the game sound like you can be a handicapped and get through it without ever getting scratched.
Also, Only reason you need to really be able to aim in Halo or counterstirke because of it's multiplayer. You said it yourself, dumb AI bots are in single palyer, but human opponents in multiplayer. You don't need to be able to aim in a single player game, but you do in multiplayer. Metroid is single player only, so your not losing out on any problems with aiming skill, cuse you really wouldn't need it in the game unless your hardcore.

Second of all, there are areas where you can (and should) AVOID enemies.
Are you submitting that as an arguement? Cause it sounds like a pretty desperate one. Oh no! You can run past an enemy! You can do the same shit in any First Person Shooter. Also, like I said earlier, enemies respawn in every room, making it almost impossible to always kill an enemy every time you go through a room. Most FPS games don't respawn any enemies, so metroid prime has just as much shit if not more to shoot at. However, often you are locked in the room and have to kill the enemies anyway.

Look at the area where you enter the sun chamber to fight the plant thing. Those green tentacle things can NOT be destroyed, therefore they must be AVOIDED. Likewise, in the area before the final boss, you face Metroids that duplicate when shot at. It would be wiser to ignore these enemies too.
That is nice, are you done? Did you forget the fact you HAVE to fire at those plant things? They arn't there to look good. You have to fire at them every time you have to pass them. They don't die, they come back and you have to fire on them to make the retract to open the path.
Yes! Avoid those metroids in the last chamber in the game. I mean, we can forget the rest of the game, where you had to shoot the shit out of enemies for the last 6 hours of gameplay, so we can focus o how we can run past the metroids! I mean, the metroids only divide, making more of them, eventualy having a mob which attack and almost require you to kill them. But, hey! It's just a platform game... now where's those Gombas?

Finally, you have to to blind to ignore the fact that all the items you get ALLOW YOU TO GET TO NEW AREAS. Spider ball? You can now use the rails to GET TO NEW AREAS. Double jump? Well, now you can jump higher to GET TO NEW AREAS. Charge ball? Well, now you can use the half-pipes to GET TO NEW AREAS. Getting to new areas, in spite of environmental obstacles is the definition of platforming.
Of course, why didn't I think of this. The game is only a metroid game. The collected items which are present in all the games of the series sure as hell should be present in the 3-d FPS style game too. I also love how the three items mentioned, out of a shitload more make your point seem one way, while the whole picture is another. How about the number of upgrades to your gun you get? To your missles? The fact your Visors are used in many cases to spot enemies to kill them. Metroid Prime 2 you even have ammo for your weapons. But these weapons arn't there to help you kill your enemies better, you don't get the freeze beam to freeze metroids (basicly the best way to kill them). You don't have four destinct beams so you can use them to kill different styles of Space pirates. It's just there for you to not use as you run past those enemies. You don't need it, cause i'm sure you can get through those locked doors without needing your gun to shoot.

I don't know why I have to explain this to you, but Metroid is about collecting your equipment to get to new areas, until you get to the last area to fight the final boss and win.
Metroid, sure. But were not talking about Metroid now are we? We're talking about Metroid Prime. There is a reason why Metroid Fusion wasn't called Metroid Prime Fusion, why Metroid Zero Mission wasn't called Metroid Prime Zero Mission. There is a reason why Metroid Prime Hunters isn't called MEtroid Hunters. Metroid Games are a 2D game. Metroid Prime is the First Person Shooter equivelent to Metroid games. They are two different series based on two different styles of gameplay for a reason.

So please, explain to us how exactly Metroid is focused on shooting, when it uses autoaim, stupid AI enemies, has portions where you should AVOID enemies and when the items you get are based on GETTING TO NEW AREAS.
I think I did already. Autoaim doesn;'t matter, it even helps you shoot enemies better. It aids your shooting, emphasis on shooting! There is alot of shooting, 90% of the game is shooting. Just like any shooter you need to kill those stupid AI bots for energy, missles and ammo(Play Metroid Prime 2). Portions? What portions, you mentioned two lame scenarios, and the items. The 20 items, 14 Items are based on combat and 8 on getting to new areas (actualy 3 suits are also used to increase armor against the more powerful enemies you eventualy meet and have to kill).

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
pan said:
Okay, just don't hurt yourself.
Thanks for the tip.

Well, that is interesting you should say that. It is labelled a First Person Adventure for several reasons. The main one being marketing. You think a parent is going to buy thier kid a game that is labbeled a shooter? Nintendo wants to market it properly. When asked, the developers even admitted that the game is basicly a first person shooter.
Stop pulling things out of your butt please. Bring the quote with you next time.
Becuase of course you never fight any enemies. Of couse! I was so blind to realize, I could just walk through the locked doors that required me to use my First person Perspective and my gun, which shoots, to destroy a shit load of enemies all over the game. Well of course I never had to use all the different weapons, missles etc. to kill those powerful bosses! No! It's an advernture game, I just jump on their heads like mario right? Right?
Yes, you shoot, but that's only to get to the next room. Labeling a game because you shoot doors is sure smart.

So now, suddenly "shooting == aiming".
Only games you really need to aim are games like Halo and Counterstrike. There wasn't a hellofalota aiming in shooters in the 90s. Goldeneye all you really had to do was point your gun in the general direction of an enemy, and your gun moved to hit the target. Your ability to aim a gun doesn't mean that it's any mroe of a shooting game. In metroid Prime, you can aim manually, and at many points you have to.
WRONG. Try this experiment. Go up on top of the hole in Temple, get your friend at the bottom. Shoot. Your friend's dead right? Again, stop pulling things out of your butt.

Once again, I go back to Goldeneye which never had a huge emphasis on aiming, in fact the original Doom never did either. It was mostly handicapped left or right and fire. Metroid has autolocking, but that doesn't take away from the fact many of the enemies are fast, none of those stupid zombies, often fly. Other enemies you can't lock on, even one of the bosses require aiming. You like to try and make the game sound like you can be a handicapped and get through it without ever getting scratched.
Also, Only reason you need to really be able to aim in Halo or counterstirke because of it's multiplayer. You said it yourself, dumb AI bots are in single palyer, but human opponents in multiplayer. You don't need to be able to aim in a single player game, but you do in multiplayer. Metroid is single player only, so your not losing out on any problems with aiming skill, cuse you really wouldn't need it in the game unless your hardcore.
Once again, stop pulling things out of your butt. Geez. EVERY ENEMY CAN BE LOCKED ON.

Are you submitting that as an arguement? Cause it sounds like a pretty desperate one. Oh no! You can run past an enemy! You can do the same shit in any First Person Shooter. Also, like I said earlier, enemies respawn in every room, making it almost impossible to always kill an enemy every time you go through a room. Most FPS games don't respawn any enemies, so metroid prime has just as much shit if not more to shoot at. However, often you are locked in the room and have to kill the enemies anyway.
Again, you're wrong. Enemies do respawn, but only after you LEAVE a room, which you fail to mention. The difference between MP and 007 or CS is that you have platforms you have to jump here and there to, whether it's in Magmoor, where you need to get the Artifact, Chozo Ruins, when you get the X-ray Visor or Phendrana when you get the Wave Beam. Metroid Prime must be a FPS, because all FPS games have you jumping in NEARLY EVERY ROOM to proceed right? I mean 007 must work because there's not even a jump button. Great analogy Pan.

That is nice, are you done? Did you forget the fact you HAVE to fire at those plant things? They arn't there to look good. You have to fire at them every time you have to pass them. They don't die, they come back and you have to fire on them to make the retract to open the path.
Yes! Avoid those metroids in the last chamber in the game. I mean, we can forget the rest of the game, where you had to shoot the shit out of enemies for the last 6 hours of gameplay, so we can focus o how we can run past the metroids! I mean, the metroids only divide, making more of them, eventualy having a mob which attack and almost require you to kill them. But, hey! It's just a platform game... now where's those Gombas?
And once you are done firing at the plant things, what you are going to walk up the tree? I guess when there's 10 platforms in that one room, obviously you're not going to use the jump button right?

Of course, why didn't I think of this. The game is only a metroid game. The collected items which are present in all the games of the series sure as hell should be present in the 3-d FPS style game too. I also love how the three items mentioned, out of a shitload more make your point seem one way, while the whole picture is another. How about the number of upgrades to your gun you get? To your missles? The fact your Visors are used in many cases to spot enemies to kill them. Metroid Prime 2 you even have ammo for your weapons. But these weapons arn't there to help you kill your enemies better, you don't get the freeze beam to freeze metroids (basicly the best way to kill them). You don't have four destinct beams so you can use them to kill different styles of Space pirates. It's just there for you to not use as you run past those enemies. You don't need it, cause i'm sure you can get through those locked doors without needing your gun to shoot.
Hmm, okay, Ice Beam, you can open ICE DOORS, to GET TO NEW PLACES. The wave beam, you open purple doors, TO GET TO NEW PLACES. The plasma beam, you open red doors, TO GET TO NEW PLACES. The rocket launcher, you open rocket doors, TO GET TO NEW PLACES. The thermal visor allows you to see electrobuttons, which you can shoot, TO GET TO NEW PLACES. The x-ray visor shows weak parts on walls, you can shoot them, TO GET TO NEW PLACES. The superbomb and bomb, allow you to blow open weak walls, TO GET TO NEW PLACES. Are we done here? You still haven't proven anything.

Metroid, sure. But were not talking about Metroid now are we? We're talking about Metroid Prime. There is a reason why Metroid Fusion wasn't called Metroid Prime Fusion, why Metroid Zero Mission wasn't called Metroid Prime Zero Mission. There is a reason why Metroid Prime Hunters isn't called MEtroid Hunters. Metroid Games are a 2D game. Metroid Prime is the First Person Shooter equivelent to Metroid games. They are two different series based on two different styles of gameplay for a reason.
You lose items, you find items, you climb here, jump there, shoot baddies, fight bosses, end. Tell me what has changed other than the camera or graphics.

I think I did already. Autoaim doesn;'t matter, it even helps you shoot enemies better. It aids your shooting, emphasis on shooting! There is alot of shooting, 90% of the game is shooting. Just like any shooter you need to kill those stupid AI bots for energy, missles and ammo(Play Metroid Prime 2). Portions? What portions, you mentioned two lame scenarios, and the items. The 20 items, 14 Items are based on combat and 8 on getting to new areas (actualy 3 suits are also used to increase armor against the more powerful enemies you eventualy meet and have to kill).
Yea, because I'm sure CS with autoaim is still CS and Halo with autoaim is still Halo. Great analogy, I'm impressed.

You're obviously wrong if you think there's no difference between MP and CS. One has the focus on aiming, while the other has you focusing on JUMPING AROUND, which is a part of platforming. If you're going to deny there is jumping involved, you're just lying because from the start of the game, there are PLATFORMS where you need to land on to get to the other side. Explain to me how are you going to get past the lava in Magmoor without jumping. Explain how you can even save the game on your ship, if the ship is ABOVE the ground. Explain how can you get from a lower part of the map to a higher one without jumping. TRUE, you do shoot enemies, but MP has environmental obstacles other games don't have, whether it's using grappling hook across lava, using the specific beams to open specific doors or using the spider ball on rails. Does shooting do anything to enhance this? I rest my case.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Revelade said:
Thanks for the tip.
You obviously haven't taken it, before plunging in a world of nonsensical arguements with absolutly no foundatin in anything but "I'm right your wrong na na na na".

Stop pulling things out of your butt please. Bring the quote with you next time.
Both the designer for Metroid Prime Hunters Richard Vorodi and Product Manager at Nintendo Kensuke Tanabe describe Metroid Prime as a First Person Shooter.

Yes, you shoot, but that's only to get to the next room. Labeling a game because you shoot doors is sure smart.
No you ****ing retard, shooting the enemies in the room, becuase the door is locked until you kill the enemies in the room. Arguing with you is like trying to force a retard kid to get out of a pile of shit. Your to and ignorant blind to see whats going on around you, and you just keep rolling around in your own shit. All your arguements disregard everyhting I said and goes back to you simply saying your right with absolutly no backing. You know what, **** you this conversation is a waste of time, because it is one sided. Live in your own little world where you're always right and logic never exists.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
_JaKE said:
all the exclusivly for gamecube games suck? Mario, donkey kong, kirby? the only good ones where ssbm, and mario kart. and the metroid, zeldas. they dont know what a good fps is? ms has halo, ps2 has killzone. Can any plz recommend any good fps?
You are obviously a person who can't have fun with what you have, like me :).

_JaKE

Reaction score
you seriously decribed every human in the world, we want everything we dont have :D

pan...revelade...CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG????????

im thinking on, the splintercells, rainbow 6, king kong, and geist. i cannot decide, i might buy them all :fwink besides all the splintercells are dirt cheap. anyone got an opinion?
There's this game only on ps2 and xbox called Black, and i am sooooooo ****ing jelous :( . also theres a new splinter cell coming called double agent.
I want to just get a mod chip and download my games....

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
pan said:
You obviously haven't taken it, before plunging in a world of nonsensical arguements with absolutly no foundatin in anything but "I'm right your wrong na na na na".

Both the designer for Metroid Prime Hunters Richard Vorodi and Product Manager at Nintendo Kensuke Tanabe describe Metroid Prime as a First Person Shooter.
Again, WHERE IS THE QUOTE. Don't spout out things if you can't prove them.

No you ****ing retard, shooting the enemies in the room, becuase the door is locked until you kill the enemies in the room. Arguing with you is like trying to force a retard kid to get out of a pile of shit. Your to and ignorant blind to see whats going on around you, and you just keep rolling around in your own shit. All your arguements disregard everyhting I said and goes back to you simply saying your right with absolutly no backing. You know what, **** you this conversation is a waste of time, because it is one sided. Live in your own little world where you're always right and logic never exists.
Again, the jump feature is used MUCH more in MP than in Halo or CS. While in Halo, you might need it to get on a warthog or something, or in CS to get on boxes, you NEED it in MP to get on platforms to get to higher rooms or if you need to jump over obstacles such as the lava in Magmoor. Whether you agree or not, MP has a higher number of environmental obstacles compared to CS or Halo. This is why it's not a shooter, but a platformer.

pan...revelade...CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG????????
I'm perfectly fine with pan. I just find it immature how he says I'm a bleeping retard and how he says my logic is wrong when all I present are facts.

I'd skip R6, because I can't stand doing 95% of a mission, only to start over if I screw up at the last 5%. The moral of the story: you can't save between missions. Also, in the new Rainbow 6, the enemies CANNOT AIM. If you attempt to use cover however, they will get you everytime. I'd steer clear from this one.

I'd recommend Time Splitters 2 over Geist. The reason is that you get a lot more features with TS2, whether it's a mapmaker, tons of challenges, 10 bot multiplayer and a co-op storymode. And the final piece of pie? TS2 goes for as low as $15, while I haven't noticed Geist come down in a while. There is TSFP, but it basically has the same gameplay of TS2, yet retails for $50.

I WANT to get King Kong, but I'll wait until it gets to $20. It's a truly immersive game as there are no health numbers, no ammo gauges and most of all NO CROSSHAIRS. I'd say the game is more realistic than the Rainbow Six series (if dinosaurs and giant apes existed anyways).

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nintendo Exclusives is pretty much all the GC has.

edit: and lmao @ the thread starter for even mentioning killzone, what a shitty game.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
We saw his list of games he likes, maybe that will give you something else to laugh about.
It's almost like my liking of Serious Sam. I get called noob because I like it by people that either can't play it, got sick of it FAST!, or are freakin idiots. But I dun care, I still play it and some people still host servers. Anyways, there are many good nintendo games out there, not just for GCN. Look at Pan for example, he likes Star Fox 64 and SNES Metriod. I like Star Fox and most of the RPGs for SNES.

It's all about making do with what you have.