Why does our avatar size limit suck so much?

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
jd-inflames said:
I love it when people think that clearing posts REALLY helps on the space issue..

Let me help you realize JUST HOW BIG a post really is on our database.

Every keystroke made is a nibble. There are 4 nibbles in a byte. There are 1024 bytes in a kb, 1024kb in a mb, 1024mb in a gb and so on and so forth. Now you can see just how small posts are...not to mention with they are in the database, the SQL compresses them so they are EVEN SMALLER!

Clearing the database will do crap. Right now BF's database is a couple gigs. Clearing the whole void will probably only drop about 40-50mb from it. If that.
yes but adding pretty colors and html and smiles adds a kb.
thats huge in comparison.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
200Kb takes about 1 minute to load across 56k.

It will take a while before 56k is dropped as the bare minimum standard in the web designing world.*

L

Laharl

I'm one of the twenty 56kers (at home), but even I feel that 30k space is a bit too small. I propose a limit of 100k.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Loading 100k is fine on 56k (I'm on 56k for the next few months).

The thing is, you must account for the skin, 20 posts of avatars PLUS signature.

Each time I load a page, I am downloading a lot closer to a mb. My patience wears AWFULLY thin.

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
JD,block images from battle forums.com until you have broadband?

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
I love it when people think that clearing posts REALLY helps on the space issue..

Let me help you realize JUST HOW BIG a post really is on our database.

Every keystroke made is a nibble. There are 4 nibbles in a byte. There are 1024 bytes in a kb, 1024kb in a mb, 1024mb in a gb and so on and so forth. Now you can see just how small posts are...not to mention with they are in the database, the SQL compresses them so they are EVEN SMALLER!

Clearing the database will do crap. Right now BF's database is a couple gigs. Clearing the whole void will probably only drop about 40-50mb from it. If that.
I just remember someone saying that, jackass. That space wasn't a issue. It was a long time ago, someone important... maybe thesummit or someone daft. Why the hell was this put in forum support?

Edit:
x42bn6 said:
200Kb takes about 1 minute to load across 56k.

It will take a while before 56k is dropped as the bare minimum standard in the web designing world.*
Why don't you upgrade :(.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
whaere was it before?

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
Chit-Chat, can someone at least tell me why it actually went down... it's not like we're getting slower internet :(.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Not everyone can just upgrade their internet, sir. >_<

I think this is Chit-Chat Material..but it could also be in BattleStaff too, as a sort of ''increase size'' suggestion. Perhaps we can push for 40-50kb on avatar sizes? :)

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
Yup :) not everyone would do it but it's nice to have a little more leeway. Some one tell me why our limit (kb) has gone down :(. This really shouldn't be in forums support... I don't need any.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
it never went down

L

Laharl

Rofl.

Each bit is enough to hold a 0 or a 1. A byte holds eight bits. In other words it's enough to hold a single charactor. That aside.

I still think it should be brought up to 100 kb, or at least 50.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
it was at 50 for like a samll time but nobody knew y it was pushed that much.
sow we lowered it to 30

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
30 kb is enough for avatar, if you need more, then go to other forums.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
N_LeGenD) said:
30 kb is enough for avatar, if you need more, then go to other forums.
Great attitude there, I'm surprise we have any members :).