Why does our avatar size limit suck so much?

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
Other forums have 200k and we only have 30 :(. The best avatar(Yes it's the other one with tits in) I ever had is a couple of kb out now and I don't feel like making it a blurry mess just to use it :(. The problem can't be lack of space...

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
We have 80k members, other forums don't.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
Some have more. A fraction of those members are active. Someone once stated that space isn't a issue for them and if it was they would have cleared out teh void.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
If every member had an avatar the size of 200k, it would take up a lot of server space.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
30 kb just plain out sucks. I still remember someone saying space wasn't a issue.

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
perhaps it is a generous act helping our 56k friends out.
though the last poll said only about 20 members had 56k or lower.
(20 active who voted).

edit: I beat joo DM :cool:

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
30kb is fine in my opinion. Why? Because, plainly put, not everyone has DSL/Cable you know. Those huge avatars would take a long time to load for people with not so good internet, and even then they would take a fair amount to load with decent internet. It's just a hassle I think. At most, 50kb would be, in my opinion, the biggest that we should have. ^.^

To be gonest, we did have 50kb size avatars a few months back. Then they were changed back to the 30kb limit. ^^

l33t 0n3

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If space is the issue, allow for remote linked avatars to be about 50kb, and bf-hosted ones be 30kb, although I doubt space is the problem. I feel for the 56kers, but 30kb and 128x128 is a bit small.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
I don't mind the pixels I really don't. It's just when the ever shrinking size limit stops me from using a avatar i love (I'd have to compromise on the quality considerably) it's annoying. Most people here have over 56k, I'm not saying lets all have 200k avatars but 30k is a little pathetic :( don't you think?

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
Thejanitor said:
I don't mind the pixels I really don't. It's just when the ever shrinking size limit stops me from using a avatar i love (I'd have to compromise on the quality considerably) it's annoying. Most people here have over 56k, I'm not saying lets all have 200k avatars but 30k is a little pathetic :( don't you think?
yes I see what your saying 30kb isn't great, however If I had 56k and even 2 people per thread had a 200kb+ ava, I dont think I would come here.
acaully I wouldnt accept images from battleforums, but....- As I was writing this I was writing i would block images from wherever so..

I dont see why remote linking hsould have a limit, then 56k users can block all images from whereever, and that wouldnt be a problem,would it?

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
yes I see what your saying 30kb isn't great, however If I had 56k and even 2 people per thread had a 200kb+ ava, I dont think I would come here.
Do you have 56k? I can do without 200k, but 50k would be a step in the right direction.

[Koolaid]

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
cant u like dlete all the members who havnt posted for 90 dayz.. taht would get rid of a great majority

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
Koolaid said:
cant u like dlete all the members who havnt posted for 90 dayz.. taht would get rid of a great majority
that wouldnt help, and crooked hasnt posted in 90 days,neither has some other great elders.
edit: no I do not have 56k

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Thejanitor said:
but 30k is a little pathetic :( don't you think?
dont complain i rember we had 15 kb

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
That we did Wing, and then it went to 50kb, then to 15, then I got it changed to 30 by pleading with RoaCh. :)

Alas, I could see if we could get bigger avatars, but if you guys really want to make an effort to getting the size upgraded, make a thread in BattleStaff about it. :)

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
That we did Wing, and then it went to 50kb, then to 15, then I got it changed to 30 by pleading with RoaCh. :)

Alas, I could see if we could get bigger avatars, but if you guys really want to make an effort to getting the size upgraded, make a thread in BattleStaff about it. :)
maby an option to buy bigger avatars

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Thejanitor said:
Some have more. A fraction of those members are active. Someone once stated that space isn't a issue for them and if it was they would have cleared out teh void.
I love it when people think that clearing posts REALLY helps on the space issue..

Let me help you realize JUST HOW BIG a post really is on our database.

Every keystroke made is a nibble. There are 4 nibbles in a byte. There are 1024 bytes in a kb, 1024kb in a mb, 1024mb in a gb and so on and so forth. Now you can see just how small posts are...not to mention with they are in the database, the SQL compresses them so they are EVEN SMALLER!

Clearing the database will do crap. Right now BF's database is a couple gigs. Clearing the whole void will probably only drop about 40-50mb from it. If that.