Why do people like DOTA so much?

None293823

Premium Member
Reaction score
They are not really a waste of time. DotA's popularity has stemmed from the fact that people prefer control of 1 hero rather than an entire army. Perhaps it is the fault of Blizzard for making melee not interesting, or perhaps DotA just clicks with the Blizzard population. I am inclined to favour the latter.*
\

LOOOOOOL??????????? Correction: NOOBS PREFER TO PLAY DOTA CUZ THEY CANT CONTROL MORE THAN 1 HERO. Go visti some ESL sites if you dont know a shit about tournaments and the interest there and more specifrically in solo. Blizzard ANNOUNCE WINNERS IN THEIR OFFICAL SITES, so pls dont psot things u dont know or u risk of receiving thew words noobs receive from meARRARARRARAG

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
The only hero that requires more than 1 to control is the Geomancer, but he is only good in small games.

dArKmIsChIeF

Member!
Reaction score
DoTA is all right I guess... In my personal opinion, DoTA doesn't take that much skill... yet the items are mind-boggling. It's hard to pick a hero if you're new, becuase you have no idea what the spell does... (ex. I picked a Gorgon, and its Ultimate was Purge...I mean...wtf?) I know I might sound like a noob, but DoTA just doesn't seem to deserve all the credit it receives...

FOOTMEN FRENZY 5.3 > DoTA ALLSTARS!:lol

The people are mean too

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Footmen Frenzy 5.3 doesnt even need skill. The only thing I would consider skill is evading Jaood and BM. Yet nobody really bothers getting the Thorns heroes.

Avalanche + KOTG ftw.

dArKmIsChIeF

Member!
Reaction score
Footmen Frenzy 5.3 doesnt even need skill.
eh...i think the money management and overall gameplay in Footmen Frenzy is better than DoTA. Spend money on creeps, items, teching tiers, or upgrades requires alot of goo decision making. Not making some item that +25 to Strength, +65% Move Speed, +15% Attack rate in 20 minutes. Footmen Frenzy deesn't even have an item that is that cheap (other than the Ring of J33bus, which costs 75000 gold and takes a couple of hours to get)...

Feel free to disagree! :dance

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Its still DotA like tactics. Keep the heroes away from combat and farm units for gold. And the only decision making you need is as you said: Decide when to upgrade and when to not. But also some heroes turn it into a game of DotA in the sense the hero can dominate the entire playing field (AM is a fine example).

Hell, I have not met people that kill thier own units for exp denial in footies. And it could save your life in the early goings.

OnlyWantToSearch

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
I played DOTA, and I didn't really like it or enjoy it, I'm just not that big of an RPG person. I like building up armies, and storming someone's base, there isn't any skill involved in hacking and slashing. When I first tried DOTA, I asked the so called 'pros' what DOTA stands for, you know what they said? "Idk, it's just a name I guess" the game is stupid, once someone gets to lvl 15, or somethin, they own you almost the whole game.
If you are not using skill in fighting u not good at main game

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
He means there is apparently no skill in just controlling one hero. Not quite - there is much less skill in controlling one hero - but some skill is required nevertheless - look at those poor idiots with 0-30 records after one game, with "stacked" Boots of Speed.*

moonliterhythm

Reaction score
well it's a different level of micro though -- for example, most heroes in ladder are designed to be used "on-the-fly" so you can focus on your army and use quick action spells. i think part of the reason DotA's newer heroes are so complicated is because they want to move to that "engaging" element of your hero where it makes sense to have to only control one.

could you imagine using a pudge hero in ladder?

now don't get me wrong -- alot of people criticise dota for having simple heroes (back from when it was young) but "professional dota" goes a long way to microing for each last hit and each deny. at that extent, it doesnt matter whether you have storm bolt or frost nova-- at that level it's not about what skills your hero has or how original he is, it's only about how effective YOU are with the hero.

also if anyone is interested, i'm actually admist designing an AoS myself, and I could use a lot of suggestions and feedback from you DotA fans, as well as some input from people who don't like DotA. if you've ever heard of the earlier versions, it's called "perSonas"

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ladder or Dota, both requires some what micro.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Yeah, but DotA is 1-5 units as Melee is like 10-20 or more.

Both need unit strategy, but melee sometimes is more about unit massing than it is strategy.

Alandariel

Reaction score
My roommate about two years ago introduced me to WarCraft III. I played the game a few times and got rocked. I was utterly horrible. And then I found DotA. I liked the game and started playing religiously... and then I moved out.

Well I recently picked up WCIII and starting playing again. Naturally, I skipped straight to DotA. And in the few months I played I became quite good. I evolved from playing in public games to playing more competitively in a well-known DotA community: TDA. Well, a week ago I decided to try my hand at ladder again. And, low and behold, I was good at it. I was more in tune with my heroes and microed my units with my heroes much more effectively. I rocked in battle, thus picking up the slack from my inexperience in building/upgrading. That part was easy enough to pick up after 10 or so games, and now I'm simply owning in most every aspect. Albeit I'm no pro, but I went from zero-to-hero so to speak in a matter of a few days. All because DotA taught me how to effectively micro-manage.

DotA is a game of pure skill. Many say, "Noobs can't control more than one unit blah blah blah..." but the truth is controlling one unit super-effectively while others are doing the same can be much more difficult than controlling an army. And then when you have that whole army under your control (ladder) you are much more inclined to control each of those units super-effectively. And that makes you a battle-powerhouse.

Sure, ladder veterans already do that with precision and ease. But DotA is a great way to enter into the realm of WarCraft III. It's a difficult game of strategy for those who aren't familiar with the genre, and betters you as a player in the long run.

As for those, "ZOMG IMBA WTFHAX," people that say one item rules and if you get it you win, there is no item. All of the items are balanced. If you can rush yourself to a +60 damage item in 10 minutes while your opponent still has 2 +2 to all stats items, then you are the better player. If they were so great they would do the same. In truth, every character has multiple item builds. And about leveling, if you let a single player in your lane get 5 levels above you, you must be really horrible. The only way that is acceptable is if it's a lane with two people against one, where the solo gets 2x experience. In which case, two people are stronger than one, so you should've rocked him early anyway. It's your fault you're bad... no, "inexperienced"... don't blame your failure on the game being imbalanced.

DotA is a great game and for those who say it's not... odds are you tried and failed. Try harder next time.

[EDIT] Wtf? Ntrik? You were in my old clan! Clan Rosh. I left because of inactivity. I was like the first person to join. Hahaha! Random Google search for WarCraft III Avatars FTW!!!!!!

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Dota doesn't require the dexterity, the skill and strategy of a real game.

The spells are also bugged. Trigger spells are never as quick nor effective in terms of execution.

L

Laharl

I can sum it up.

Those who can't play Broodwar, play War3.
Those who can't play war3 melee, play Dota.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Because God Forbig after five years of playing Starcraft we wanted to play a new game.

3p1t0m3

Reaction score
Because God Forbig after five years of playing Starcraft we wanted to play a new game.
i concur... but yeah sc still gud... i mean it does have its merits... but the biggest downside was in hero games and theres a dark archon w/ mc...

people who havent played wow play dota... or should i say people play dota then go play wow... and then end up with life -10000 =P

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
My roommate about two years ago introduced me to WarCraft III. I played the game a few times and got rocked. I was utterly horrible. And then I found DotA. I liked the game and started playing religiously... and then I moved out.

Well I recently picked up WCIII and starting playing again. Naturally, I skipped straight to DotA. And in the few months I played I became quite good. I evolved from playing in public games to playing more competitively in a well-known DotA community: TDA. Well, a week ago I decided to try my hand at ladder again. And, low and behold, I was good at it. I was more in tune with my heroes and microed my units with my heroes much more effectively. I rocked in battle, thus picking up the slack from my inexperience in building/upgrading. That part was easy enough to pick up after 10 or so games, and now I'm simply owning in most every aspect. Albeit I'm no pro, but I went from zero-to-hero so to speak in a matter of a few days. All because DotA taught me how to effectively micro-manage.

DotA is a game of pure skill. Many say, "Noobs can't control more than one unit blah blah blah..." but the truth is controlling one unit super-effectively while others are doing the same can be much more difficult than controlling an army. And then when you have that whole army under your control (ladder) you are much more inclined to control each of those units super-effectively. And that makes you a battle-powerhouse.

Sure, ladder veterans already do that with precision and ease. But DotA is a great way to enter into the realm of WarCraft III. It's a difficult game of strategy for those who aren't familiar with the genre, and betters you as a player in the long run.

As for those, "ZOMG IMBA WTFHAX," people that say one item rules and if you get it you win, there is no item. All of the items are balanced. If you can rush yourself to a +60 damage item in 10 minutes while your opponent still has 2 +2 to all stats items, then you are the better player. If they were so great they would do the same. In truth, every character has multiple item builds. And about leveling, if you let a single player in your lane get 5 levels above you, you must be really horrible. The only way that is acceptable is if it's a lane with two people against one, where the solo gets 2x experience. In which case, two people are stronger than one, so you should've rocked him early anyway. It's your fault you're bad... no, "inexperienced"... don't blame your failure on the game being imbalanced.

DotA is a great game and for those who say it's not... odds are you tried and failed. Try harder next time.

[EDIT] Wtf? Ntrik? You were in my old clan! Clan Rosh. I left because of inactivity. I was like the first person to join. Hahaha! Random Google search for WarCraft III Avatars FTW!!!!!!
wtf... LOL i know you haha yea, i became the shaman in clan rosh... alot has changed ~_~ it WAS active but now its becoming less active every day.. meh

well.. ive played WoW, but I still play dota... what does that mean?

C

canxing

Do we also get Flying Sheep on Fire?

As the world found out this last weekend via Blizzcon, there are some grand plans in store for World of Warcraft and Wrath of the Lich King. One of the many things that were mentioned was the creation of Engineering-based flying mounts. However earlier today we received an email from someone calling themselves "Blizguy" and claiming to have leaked information about the upcoming Engineering mounts that will be featured in Wrath of the Lich King. Since I love the idea that Engineering is going to finally get some much-needed love, we figured we'd pass along this rumor.

The claims are that the flying Gyrocopter will actually be a flying siege vehicle, much like the Dwarven Gyrocopters, Dwarvish Flying Machines and Gnomish Flying Machines from the original Warcraft RTS series. The rest of the rumor claims:
• Will require the max level of Engineering.
• Schematic will be obtained through a series of quests.
• Is a flying siege weapon!
• Will require level 78 to use. (Claims likely will be changed to 80.)
• Will have durability like any other piece of gear, and will require occasional repairs.
My question is, if they're implementing the gyrocopters from the RTS series, will they be slow, heavily armored versions, or zippy but poorly armored flyers? Or perhaps will we see a combination of both with the lighter ones for scouting? In either case, while this is all only unsubstantiated rumors at this point, I have to admit, zooming in for an attack on a gyrocopter would be a pretty cool addition to PvP. (Never mind that whole "Horde didn't have gyrocopters" thing... heh) And hey, there might actually finally be a use for that airport outside Ironforge, even if only as a place for quest-givers.
You can get more info from ssegames.