Why do people like DOTA so much?

Ninja_Blue

[ Official Forum Ninja ]
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I played DOTA, and I didn't really like it or enjoy it, I'm just not that big of an RPG person. I like building up armies, and storming someone's base, there isn't any skill involved in hacking and slashing. When I first tried DOTA, I asked the so called 'pros' what DOTA stands for, you know what they said? "Idk, it's just a name I guess" the game is stupid, once someone gets to lvl 15, or somethin, they own you almost the whole game.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
You obviously asked an idiot who probably plays Wc3 just for DotA, with no assurance or brain power that he played melee. There is strategy, but it depends on the items and spells used against whatever hero.

However, I myself am good at DotA, but I do not like playing it. Hell, about 5-6 times Dream_walker asked me to play DotA with him, I said no.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
In most games, the first person to get a Level 4 item or a decent Level 3 item with Mekanism or something usually wins. That's how I see it.*

Dream_Walker

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
DotA stands for Defense of the Ancients. There is somewhat an easy learning curve, you just have to have common sense, such as... don't tank the creeps all day for no reason, try not to get hit by tower, notice what heroes are missing, etc.

If you have any questions, post them here. :)

But @ thread title: they like it cause it is popular so they want to play a popular game AND it takes little to no skill to control 1 hero all day. Sorry if i contradicted myself lol.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
He knows what it is by now. He just brought up how much of an idiot the pro was.

Greg said:
But @ thread title: they like it cause it is popular so they want to play a popular game AND it takes little to no skill to control 1 hero all day. Sorry if i contradicted myself lol.
Yet why do we still have noobs playing it, with about half of them using Banlist?

FroZeN-

Reaction score
REVIVE THREADS FTW.. anyway

People loves-likes DotA because it's prolly the only WC3 game that requires skill, not counting ladder games, and that some heroes are tough to play so they play them for a self-challenge (xept if you're a greg then you just stop playing, <3)

Noobs that plays the game just for the matter of ganking with an imba hero and then saying they're good should just not be playing. Anyway, it's up to you to love it or not, I used to play with greg everyday, prolly 5 times + a day, during the summer, because we enjoy it and we don't complain (cough) at getting ganked by a lvl 15 when you're 10.

Even if the person is 10 you can ask for help to gank the 15 and rock his ass til the game ends. Instead of complaning on a game you should just play another (please, don't play LoaP). If you are the creator of LoaP then let me tell you it sucks ass (no fense).

Revive threads ftw guys!! HF

None293823

Premium Member
Reaction score
I played DOTA, and I didn't really like it or enjoy it, I'm just not that big of an RPG person. I like building up armies, and storming someone's base, there isn't any skill involved in hacking and slashing. When I first tried DOTA, I asked the so called 'pros' what DOTA stands for, you know what they said? "Idk, it's just a name I guess" the game is stupid, once someone gets to lvl 15, or somethin, they own you almost the whole game.

agreed. I play it 4fun, i still make enough kills. Btws there are pro soloers who play dota 4fun too.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Frozen said:
People loves-likes DotA because it's prolly the only WC3 game that requires skill, not counting ladder games, and that some heroes are tough to play so they play them for a self-challenge (xept if you're a greg then you just stop playing, <3)
Oh come on, almsot EVERY map requires skills. Even Tower Defenses.

FroZeN-

Reaction score
Oh come on, almsot EVERY map requires skills. Even Tower Defenses.
Tower Defenses have no action tho, unless you control which person your towers attack (Element TD, sometimes) then, imo, they do not require skill. Everything is based on where u place tower/how many towers u sell/etc.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
DotA is designed so well (excluding various bugs and imbalances) it feels just like a normal Warcraft ladder game. Other maps have a feeling of repetitiveness or emptiness. Plus people working round-the-clock for this game, and the advent of decent AI (but the AI still is pathetic in the long-term).*

None293823

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dota and ladder the same haha But it's true that there are dota tournaments with prizes $_$ so it def rules over the rest useless cg-s. If you havent realized, pros play to earn money in that way, solo and dota are a way to earn money, to organize, thats why these can serve for something, the rest types and custom games are useless and not more fun imo just a waste of time.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Frozen- said:
Tower Defenses have no action tho, unless you control which person your towers attack (Element TD, sometimes) then, imo, they do not require skill. Everything is based on where u place tower/how many towers u sell/etc.
I pity da fool who doesnt control thier towers properly. Sometimes, it is a necessitiy (Blizzard TD on Level 3 to get Hero). Besides, I would rather prove my skill in melee.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
They are not really a waste of time. DotA's popularity has stemmed from the fact that people prefer control of 1 hero rather than an entire army. Perhaps it is the fault of Blizzard for making melee not interesting, or perhaps DotA just clicks with the Blizzard population. I am inclined to favour the latter.*

TheRPExpress

Reaction score
I have also grown tired of the many DOTA maps on the custom maps list they should like all combine into a few less compared to having a million hosted games with 2 people....

ChrisH36

Reaction score
And the fact half the people bitch and whine when they gonna lose.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
it allows people like me to focus attention on one thing rather then multi tasking :(

wc melee and sc melee are different :/

ChrisH36

Reaction score
I can control a Chicken, a Crow and a hero. Beat that!*
I can control 100 food worth of units and 3 heroes and still control a hero and a chicken, your point?