Who's the best player in the world? (replays and interviews)

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
As of April, it's JulyZerg dethroning the monster Terran Iloveoov.

1.JulyZerg(Z)POS 970.0 ▲1
2.iloveoov(T)SK Telecom T1 944.5 ▼1
3.[Red]NaDa(T)Pantech&Curitel Curriors 738.0 ▲1
4.XellOs[yG](T)GO 705.0 ▼1
5.GoRush(Z)SK Telecom T1 649.0 -
6.Midas[gm](T)SK Telecom T1 429.0 ▲3
7.Kingdom(P)SK Telecom T1 413.5 ▼1
8.[Oops]Reach(P)KTF Magicⓝs 413.0 ▼1
9.Goodfriend(T)Pantech&Curitel Curriors 402.0 ▼1
10.[NC]...YellOw(Z)KTF Magicⓝs 388.0 ▲2

11.ChoJJa(Z)KTF Magicⓝs 342.5 -
12.TheMarine(T)KTF Magicⓝs 325.0 ▲1
13.SlayerS_"BoxeR"(T)SK Telecom T1 281.5 ▲1
14.Nal_rA(P)KTF Magicⓝs 243.0 ▼6

155 replays of Nal_Ra. Many are old, but 80+% on patch 1.12.

http://www.gosugamers.net/files.php?cat=4&id=275

15.Sync(T)KTF Magicⓝs 233.5 ▲2
16.[Gsp]JJu+__+(Z)Samsung Kan 228.0 ▼1
17.fOru(P)GO 198.0 ▲1
18.Doggi(T)Samsung Kan 176.5 ▲2
19.SaferZerg(Z)Samsung Kan 161.0 ▲7
20.Rage[3.33](P)GO 152.0 ▲1

21.[Oops]Cloud(T)KOR 151.5 ▲1
22.Oversky(Z)GO 137.5 ▲5

23.Silent_Control(T)Pantech&Curitel Curriors 136.0 ▼7

Silent_Control rep pack!

http://www.wgtour.com/gosugamers/files/replay_packages/Silent_Control.rar

24.[Min][Gu](Z)KTF Magicⓝs 133.5 -
25.Qoo)max(Z)KOR 123.0 New
26.Terato(P)KOR 121.5 ▲2
27.Nal_Rock(P)Pantech&Curitel Curriors 118.5 ▲2
28.Mymyung(Z)SK Telecom T1 105.5 ▼5
29.Starcraft_Side(Z)KOR 105.5 ▲2

Starcraft_Side's replay pack for 1.12

http://www.gosugamers.net/admin/files.php?dl=272

Replay pack for 1.12 and earlier.

30.IntoTheRainbow(P)SK Telecom T1 105.0 ▼5

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Here's an interview of the current number two player Iloveoov:

Q: It's said that you did pretty well at high school?
A: Totally wrong. I did very poor in study in high school because I paid no attention on it. Well, I used to be one of the top 10 students in middle school. And forturnately I passed the exam and went to high school. My family scolded me as a fool, which drove me crazy then I started to play SC in 9th grade(last year of middle school). You know, my elder brother was an excellent student. But he always pretended he knew few things and he weren't that good to comfort me. I really appreciate all he had done for me.

Q: Did you come to know your GF when you were famous?
A: No, we met even before I became a progamer. That's my destiny maybe. Female fans could be divided into two types, 1)they are so crazy and try to get close to you. 2)they support you by standing silent somewhere. For me, I rarely see the 1st group due to BoxeR's protection. (laughs)

Q: You played for money at first?
A: Absolutely not. I was obsessed with SC in school days, I couldn't do anything except playing games. Even if I was not playing, all I thought was battles. At that time I intended to go to the army, but I perceived that I loved SC so much and I would played it after my military service. So why not sticking to it? I wanna be successful. Then I went to Seoul. It seems I've made it now. (laughs) It's in TG MSL that I got money from SC first time.
As I gain some money, I bought a house for my parents. Now it's time for me. However, I've no interest in cars. In my opinion, cars are unnecessary for progamers. We are very busy, no time for driving. In addition, we have our own driver. Probably I would purchase one after the military service.

Q: People talk about your parsimony.
A: Yes, I am a cheapskate. I don't buy my teammates a drink or something usually. There are only 3 times I paid the bill. The first time I treated them some bananas and milk; the next time we went to barbecue.(don't know how to express it in Korean style) After moving into the apartment of SKT T1, BoxeR often bought us some nice food, so the 3rd time I bought pizza to teammates. While, I've my plan to save money. That's because I think progaming isn't stable, I'm not sure what will go on in the future. And some progamers don't gain much, it's not polite to splurge lots of money in front of them. Whatever, wasting money is bad, I have to think more about my future.

Q: Some complain your victories are thanks to those lucky secret expansions, how do you think about that?
A: That's undeserved. I always think "the opponent would be unaware if I expand now" in my practice. It's all about timing. It's my strategy that I make a feint of defence, and expand at the very time that others think I won't. But recently other players did very well in scouting, therefore this strategy didn't work out. And the countermeasure is to pretend training units when rivals are scouting. He goes aways, then I expand.
There's only one exception, which the idea stroke on me, the IOPS group battle versus NaDa. Otherwise I well-prepared for the strategy. So it's not the victory by a fluke. I follow my sensing in games, "it's time to expand", so I did it.

Q: You often mention BoxeR in interviews, is that kind of tactics?
A: No. That's because I sincerely admire him. I learn a lot from him. All I can pay back to him is to get better achievement in tournaments. And I've no other chance to say thanks to him in public except interviews. It's true, BoxeR is my mentor. It's not about SC, he taught me many other things.

Q: IloveOov's leading era has come to an end?
A: To be frank, it's the first time I lost in the first round.(IOPS OSL) People thought it's forgivable(I guess due to the OSL champion curse -_-). I was feeling small, like dropping into OCL preliminary. Well with all of that passing away, I regain my energe and aim at the champ in the new season. Perhaps IOPS was an excuse for me to take a break, I didn't perform at my level.

Q: After losing to July, people said you were only good at TvP, isn't it?
A: July gave me a profound surprise at the time. I used to think that I could beat him in IOPS, but I lost all courage. I am an ordinary person, getting mad after loss. I can't accept any loss against any opponent. And I'm confident to conquer July now. My belief is there's no one I can't beat down.

Q: You often type out GG soon relatively, do you?
A: When I think I can't strike back, I just give up the battle. For this, I was reproved by BoxeR several times. He said I was weak-willed so that I didn't intend to strike back. Do you notice even one game doesn't work out for me, I don't type out GG very soon. (laughs)

Q: You seem slender in your suit, and your legs are fairly long.
A: (standing up)I've no idea, I don't really care about my figure. I often do some dumbbelling to keep fit, because my arms are weak after long time gaming.

Q: Are you hauguty?(not sure whether it's in derogatory meaning -_-)
A: Yes, on purpose, so does in interviews. E-sports is Mind-sports. Practice is important, while some factors outside the stage weigh much as well. As a progamer, I should be polite to media and fans, but I don't want to show the impression of weakness to people. I'm always confident of winning, so I express my confidence, which is helpful to the matches in my opinion. After EVER OSL, some said I became modest. Actually everything was fixed up at that time. Dad often suggests me learn from Reach's reaction in interviews(be modest?). Whereas, I don't think so. That's not my style. You see, Zeus is a good example. It's not about who is right or who is wrong. Just do it in my own way.

Q: You lose weight?
A: I was sad to see myself, a fat guy, in the TV.(laughs) Well I was not really fat? Then I determined to lose weight, the lowest record was 74kg which my teammates poke fun at me that I was too thin. Keeping under 80kg is acceptable for me. (weigh himself on the scale)Now it's 79kg.

Q: What's your goal in progaming?
A: I haven't thought about it. If have to, I would say I wanna buy the whole world. To earn enough money to buy the world, I must achieve a lot. I will work hard, so "a goal to win the champ" isn't enough.

Q: Your No.1 position in KeSPA will be replaced by July next month.
A: Yes, and Dad phones me every day when he knows the points in order to force me to work harder. However, I don't care that much because I've signed a new contract with SKT T1.(laughs) If I signed the contract after falling from No.1, my salary would have falling too!(laughs) I take the money so I will carry it out. I will do better.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Interview with Gorush current number 5.

Victory is everything, even if it means to faint during a match.

Foreword

"The Magician of Game Control" (hopefully you know what I mean), GoRush (Team GO), has finally climbed up to the top since the NHN OSL.

He does not have superb micro, nor jaw-dropping timing, but when it comes to the control of the pace of the game and the distribution of resources, Rush can always win the fans' hearts.

His most amazing accomplishment recently is defeating the genius Terran – NaDa (P&C) in the MSL Final. Also, he placed third in the IOPS OSL and Second in the KT-KTF League.
He has managed to be top four in all of the major events.

"How come I've never heard of this player before?" This question is frequently asked by those who have recently become GoRush's fans, and they are desperate to know how he manages to increase his fan-count seemingly endlessly. None of us really know what GoRush is really like - when interviewed, he is sometimes arrogant, sometimes polite; during the last Star League, he blatantly pointed out the mistakes made by the host (someone might want to elaborate on this). Before Team GO left for Thailand, I met GoRush, he smiled at me and said “Try to make me appear nice to the public".

Gaming as a Profession

It was 2001, when he was in Grade 10 (first year in high school), GoRush got his Plaque/Recognition Form from the Korean E-Sport Organization.

Actually, his gaming career started in year 2000. At that time, he practised with TheMarine, and his progression in Starcraft was astonishing.

"I wasn't that good in the beginning, but after six months, I suddenly felt that I was getting much better, I don't even know how that happened." After this sudden improvement, in his Grade 9 year, GoRush won many Starcraft competitions that were held by local Cafés. The most significant accomplishment was the one that was held by "Southern River" (some Korean name), where he defeated FreeMura, IntotheRain, VGundam, and Slayer_Boxer. Finally, he lost to [z-zone]Byun (currently the coach for Plus) and placed second. "It was that time, my coach asked me to join the team, and that's when I started my progaming career."

Retirement after the first victory of WCGC

After joining a proteam, GoRush's improvement was frightening. After allocating his practice Café, he wanted to give up his education because it was nearly impossible to be a student and a progamer at the same time. GoRush was indulged in the game, he finally gave up school. However, he won the WCGC that year and gained a lot of publicity.

"I almost got kicked out of the team because I gave up school. The financial manager told me: A gamer who gives up his education is not what we need, if you are really that confident (as in, to succeed in life without education), then prove it to me. I didn't want to bow down to him, so I practised over 50 games everyday, and finally won the WCGC."

Arduous decision: Going back to school

GoRush's suffering began at this time. Although he got sufficient encouragement from his parents to be a progamer, he wanted to go back to school. "School is an important part of growing up; I always felt that I was missing something inside. In the street, every time I saw students wearing school uniforms, I cried a little (actual translation: feeling exited in a negative way)." To prevent myself from regretting for the rest of my life, I made my decision. As well, his former school teachers and students further caused him wanting to return the school (meaning to be united with them). With the help of a teacher who collected every news detail about GoRush, GoRush finally returned to school.

Although he was one of the brightest new starts, GoRush resolutely and determinedly gave up gaming. "It felt great returning to school and spending time with my classmates. A lot of students who desire to become progamers give up their education to play the game, and I don't think that's a good idea. You cannot go back in time, and it is not worth it to give up life for an impulsive desire/goal.

Goal - Star League

Finishing 2-year high school study, GoRush came back to gaming in 2003. During his school days, he made every minutes of his spare time playing SC. Thus he caught up with progaming in a short time relatively, and the 1st major tournament he took was NHN OSL. He grew up very quickly, just awesome to everyone.

He said: In fact it's really tough for me to resume the seat. It's said that after the military service, one should retire from progaming. But my case was that though I left progaming for school two years, all I care for was nothing but SC.

Restarting his career in progaming, GoRush devoted all his live into games, he practised more than any others.

"I wanted to practise more and catch up with others, but things didn't work out like that." he said.

However, failure is the mother of success. "When I came up to the tournaments, I told myself, well, my winning ratio was less than 10%, why not just enjoy the games, no matter loss or victory? I lost tons of battles during the practice, but I made it in tournaments! Losing a lot in practice, I wasn't afraid of loss any more, so without any tension I could do better in real battles."

Never Stop Stepping Forward

Despite getting kicked out in the frist round several times, GoRush proved himself as one of the best gamers nowadays through Golf MSL, 2nd KT-KTF and IOPS OSL. People often remarked that his games were boring. But GoRush himself never minded. He was such emotional, cheering for his victories or getting angry for his losses. Some complained his arrogance in interviews, while he was careless about that and he aimed at the higher target.

He said: I'm not arrogant, maybe it seems like so. Because comparing to other gamers, I'm not very nervous in games; and I'm not a quick-tempered person. But I can't bear any defeat, even burst out anger, complaining people around me.

To Parents

All of his achievement is attributed to his parents. A kid without any life goal, what makes him so devoted into progaming is his family.

He said: well, I had never told anybody before, my parents are all the reasons of my hard working.

GoRush's family isn't rich. The cruelty of life wakes him up from his immature ideal, leading himto the direction he heads for.

He said: at that time the champ of WCGC was all I had, but one year ago I perceived my family wouldn't live a standard life if I didn't work hard.

Realizing that his parents put all their hope on him, GoRush roused up. He changed.

"I can't idle away the hours. Provided I just ended my career with a WCGC champ, what should I do? No, I can't!"

He was bent on dedicating himself into games, and he refused to be what others were. What he wanted were more practice.

"My parents taught me that victory is everything, even if it means to faint during a match."

Dad & Mum, the biggest fans of mine

"My father is a typical Korean, conservative, taciturn and testy. He used to be wrathful when hearing his son was going to be a progamer. That's true, I've experienced all these things which a progamer came across."(laughs)

He was caught by his father in the pc bang and beaten badly several times. However, his father changes his mind when GoRush did some achievement in some important tournaments. Now, his parents become his biggest fans.

"Dad knows far more than I know, let alone these matchups, he could illustrate everyting in games in detail. Now when I go home, there's no break for me to say something, he is talking talking and talking. Once he told me that I ought to train scrouges, OMG, I had nothing to respond."(laughs)

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Boxer (number 13) and Yellow interviews (currently unranked).

BoxeR – through Yellow's eyes

The first time I saw BoxeR was during the Hanbitsoft OSL in 2001. I didn't actually know who BoxeR was, so I didn't pay too much attention, all I noticed was that "Good-looking, and unusual ID."

When I was on Team IS with BoxeR, he knew how to maintain his looks: he washed his face often and did facial mask often. Being naturally handsome, he looks even more handsome. However, recently, he doesn't seem to be trying as hard to keep his looks, his face's contour is not as defined as before.

BoxeR and I are definitely the veterans. I don't have anything special to say to him because we've met each other in matches so frequently. We have led and guided an entire generation of gamers, I hope the more we do it, the better we get at doing it.

Yellow – through BoxeR's eyes

The first time I met Yellow was at the Gamei Open.

My first impression of Yellow is stubborn. At that time, everybody was lame (outward-appearance-wise), but not that lame. Recently, his appearance changed drastically. He looks totally different from the first time I saw him *laugh*. Yellow cares about the youngsters on the team. When we were on Team IS, I was the captain and he was the second/vice-captain, every time we go out, he would always lead the new members. As we age, we should discipline ourselves better and train harder, and hopefully we can play against each other in the league finals.

BoxeR - From the point of view of Zhu Hun(the head coach of SKT T1)

"He was just a simple young guy. That's the first impression he gave to me." Zhu Hun said. It's Nate OSL(2002) that Zhu Hun met BoxeR at the first time, which BoxeR had been remarked as Terran Emperor. While, what Zhu saw was no more than a young man, indeed, as the psychologist of IS Team.

"Living together, the more he made improvement as a progamer, the more I trusted him." Not only his appearance but also his attitude towards his profession. He became very strict with himself because he knew that he was the leader of the team. That's his biggest change.

"Appearance dosen't weigh much, what he should catch upon is the more professional attitude." In Zhu's eyes, BoxeR, the trademark of E-Sports, ought to work harder to maintain his brilliance.

Yellow - From the point of view of Sung-Hoo Chang(the coach of Team P&C)

"I'd never thought a hooligan could rouse to a hot star." Sung-Hoo Chang said, namely the coach who dug up the genius potential of "Storm Zerg" Yellow. Sung was shocked by the garish clothing of Yellow, which left him the image of a hoodlum.

But Yellow was outstanding, even if he lost very single game in the test of enrollment. With the amazing APM and unique grouping, Yellow climbed to the peak of his career step by step.

"We have been together very long since the Team Gamei(not quite sure about this)." At that time, it's totally awesome that Yellow grew up quickly. He gained "Storm Zerg" after Coca Cola OSL.

"More powerful more handsome" found the full expression in Yellow. "Yeah, he looks so different now, people call him "Bae Yong Jun"(probably the most popular male actor in Korea)." Chang said, and he gave Yellow some advice on appearance as well. It's no doubt that Yellow devoted a lot into progaming so he was the most popular progamer besides BoxeR. And Chang made great effects, too. "I'm pride of him, and his achievement. That's my motivity."

Chang, who makes Yellow always smile, has more expectation. "Although he isn't in P&C any more, our story has not ended. I hope he won't lose heart, and work hard in future."