Which Terran unit is most often underestimated and not used to its full potential?

Which Terran unit is most often underestimated and not used to its full potential?

• Battlecruiser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghost

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Medic

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Science Vessel

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Valkyrie

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Vulture

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Once killed an army of Dark Templar and Zealots, with nothing but infantry. (Marines/Fbats/Ghosts/Medics). I won mostly because of the firebats and the EMP Shockwaves.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I wonder what kind of opponents you're playing, Hellwolf? :rolleyes :frustrate

ChrisH36

Reaction score
bsers who think that double crossing me when I have my 200 supply maxed out in men will do them some good. So yeah, it would work on noobies somewhat. Unless you take full advantage of science vessel''s emps and defensive matrix some units (just to piss them off). Actually well, make that 9 groups of infantry and battlecruisers/science vessels for the last one.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Even without EMP or Defensive Matrix, your Firebats and Medics would've raped any Zealots or Dark Templars.

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Renzokuken said:
Or not, SV's are only really useful for Irradiate, no one bothers to use Defense Matrix or even research EMP.

And please, don't say that you do, or anyone else does, because you don't, and you can so easily win games without it. EMP is useless.

SV's are only useful for their detection and Irradiate.
Biggest problem with EMP is it's cost.

If you miss once with that slow moving EMP missile, that's half your energy. You then have to decide whether to use another, or DM one unit.

The SV is an offense-only unit really. When used against a moving enemy army, you'll run the risk of missing altogether, or only hitting a very small number of men. If used against an army besieging you, usually goons/zealots are spread out enough forming an arc that would only allow you to again, hit 2-4 units tops.

EMP is unfortunately too expensive (energy-wise), and too inaccurate to be used widely unless against an Archon force.

I'll have to go with the Ghost on this one as well however.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
EMP is quite good if you are able to nuke the troops, or the tech buildings of the enemy. You only need one nuke if you take out those buildings shields.

Bink

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ghost. People do not use them to their full extent.

exobyte

Member!
Reaction score
I'm going to eliminate some of the options.
Vulture is definelty NOT underestimated. Mines are pure evil and the unit can go really, really fast.
Battlecruiser is used a lot in TvT (supposedly, I never do that matchup), but is otherwise a big overpriced POS.
Ghost nukes. Lockdown is really strong, definetly overlooked.
Heal is used a lot with the Medic, Restoration isn't that great (if it was auto-cast like heal it'd be more useful) and Optical Flare is never used (but it isn't that great anyway.
Science Vessel is used a lot for detection and the occasional matrix, but EMP supposedly sucks (I never use it so I wouldn't know) and Irradiate is mainly used against packed Mutas and occasionally you see an Irradiate-raid on a worker line.
Valkyrie SUCKS. Underused for a good reason.

I'm going with Ghost.

minny

6 years and going strong!
Reaction score
I'm going with "Other" for Firebat
i dont see much people useing it.
if you have good enough micro and steam pack upgrade it can do some good damage

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Firebat is good for wasting zerglings. IF you play lots of Micro Wars or Micro Jail Intense, you can slay Zealots easily by getting fbats in bunkers. As long as you can keep your bunkers and fbats alive, you shouldnt have a problem.

Larkin

Member!
Reaction score
Ghosts -> Lockdown

I hardly ever seen people use lockdown. Great when your playing idiots who tend to mass BCs or Carriers. Against Zerg I don't bother much unless I intend to nuke.

Vultures would be my next guess as most build them for the Mines. Well I build them for mines, sorta like an advanced picket.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Yeah, for people who actually bother usin skillz!

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Its not required, but they can help!

PauseBreak

Reaction score
Ghosts are by far the most unrated unit for Terrans.

Have you seen a good Terran CPU play with ghosts? Its mad insane! Seriously, when ghost are invoked to their full potential they are extremely good killing machines. But alas, its takes good hotkey-ing and a good, good, sense of micro-managment.

Reaction score
I'd go with the science vessel or the ghost but I'll vote for science vessel since it's losing lawl! But science vessels are underestimated and only usually used for detectors but irradiate and other skills that it knows can sometimes be very useful...

ChrisH36

Reaction score
TrongaMonga said:
EMP is quite good if you are able to nuke the troops, or the tech buildings of the enemy. You only need one nuke if you take out those buildings shields.
Or in some situations, you can Defense Matrix your frontline units making them hard to kill. But that depends all on whos attacking them!

Biske

Reaction score
..And if you got enough SV's to DM enough troops to make a difference....