What's your favorite class to play?

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Do you like the combatant styles of the Barbarian, or possibly the spell casting of a Wizard? Maybe the ability to do both with a Cleric, or Paladin?

Personally I'm not biased towards any specific class. I'm always a different class each campaign I participate in, and I'm never the same as before. I like to change it up a bit because there is so much variation. Sometimes I love being a caster while other times I like to melee. Sometimes I like being able to aid the party with skills and tactics, while other times I enjoy adding to the damage of the group. It's always a fresh new experience.

L

Laharl

I've always loved psions owing to the fact they have no cap on their damage, and can become incorporeal using the psionic uncarnate prestiege. Although not every DM will allow them because of their lack of damage cap.

I also love sorcerers and clerics (I usually play as a halfling cleric of Olidammara, turn undead).

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I've always loved thieves. Played a thief all the way through Sierra's Quest for Glory. Maxxed pickpocket/lockpick/sneak in Fallout. Played a halfling in the original D&D, a thief in AD&D, and then a rogue in 3rd edition. The third edition rules make rogues pretty kick ass. Before there wasn't really much you could do in combat. Sneak attack, evasion, and flanking were great additions in my opinion. I ended up multi-classing my rogue as an assassin prestige class from the DMG, which ended up being fun to play as well.

L

Laharl

Yeah, they are hardcore now. If played right multiple sneak attacks per fight ends up killing almost anything.

But look at the psion spells, psion handbook and imagine them at level 25, pumped up as high as possible. It's kind of scary.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
I've never played a session with Psions. They sound fun, but overpowering.

L

Laharl

Yeah, they are a bit overpowering owing to an oversight by Wizards: Just like a certain harm spell I know which deals all but 1d4 hp, and a similar heal spell which does the same thing against undead ;)

3.5 Fixed that, though... Most DM's I've talked to don't allow psions because of how broken they are.

Shados

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.shados.net
I like Wizards, and Rogues because they're pretty overpowered what with the multiple sneak attacks and especially Use Magic Device as a class skill.

-*meow*

L

Laharl

Yeah, but psions are wizards with no caps! That overwhelms anything!

I do enjoy the multiple sneak attacks a lot, though.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Assassin death attack is pretty nice. Basically, you study your target for three rounds I think (they can't see you, it has to be a sneak attack), then you declare a death attack. If you make your hit roll, they have to do a fort save with a DC based on your level and int. If they fail...they die. Hahah. My rogue/assassin had a pretty low int though, so I don't think I ever actually pulled it off. Still, if it fails I'm pretty sure you get the +xD6 from the sneak attack.

L

Laharl

Yeah, I've read up on it. Really neat attack.

Only problem is that most rouges I've seen aren't REALLY high in int, like yours.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
haha, mine didn't have a high int at all. He barely made the requirements to be an assassin, which is why I never actually made a successful death attack. It wasn't a very good decision from the standpoint of making him good in combat, but if you knew the character you'd understand.

L

Laharl

Yeah it's important to make sure you have a good roleplayable character, too. I agree.

First char I make her WILL be a cleric.

Shados

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.shados.net
Heh, I played a Rogue/Wizard because they were my favourite classes, and naturally became an Assassin too. Death attack really really hurts if you're a Rogue/Wizard/Assassin.

-*meow*

L

Laharl

I wouldn't doubt it from the higher intelligence on the wizard, and what not.