Whats a good terran def set up

betaalpha5

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
bunkers would do good turrents would help a lot for terren decetion is kinda weak unless u tech up a lot. get some tnks behind the bunkers so that they can blow some of the units before they getto the bunkers

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Without Science Vessels and Seige Tanks, your sunk. I've seen this mistake when I'm in newb v. newb battles (the only ones I have a chance to win really). I guess you could call me a moderate level, but there aren't any people at my skill level... You set up a SV a few "feet" ahead of your Supply Depot wall and the Siege Tanks take out Ghosts before they can target you. The Bunkers are for the close range enemies that try to get close (and support for air attacks).

This is what I'd do (poor quality, I know...)

S = Siege Tank
0 = Open Square
SD = Supply Depot
MB = Marine/Firebat filled Bunker
T = Turret
SV = Science Vessel

00SDST
SVSDMB
00SDST

And repeat the pattern. It works very well in terms of defense, and you can always have the SV patrol a little back and forth with a Wraith to add to defense a bit. I.E. Ghost decides to target your SV and you take notice.

Savenor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It really depends on what race your enemy is. Most of the time, I go for Marines/Firebats in Bunkers, usually 2-4 Bunkers depending on the map with 3 Marines and a Firebat in each. Follow up with 2-3 Tanks, but make sure to place them well, or they'll be accidentally splashing their attack onto the Bunkers. Goliaths and Missile Turrets work well to rid any transport of dropping something deadly into your base. Usually I build a couple Bunkers and stock them full of Marines with a few Turrets near my resources in case any thing gets by, I am still well defended. On Lost Temple, I like to place Spider Mines just below my ramp, and sometimes (although its a bit risky) near the enemy ramps. Be sure to get Science Vessels later on with ground/air support to take on cloaked units such as Protoss air units under an Arbiter or a fleet of cloaked Wraiths. If you are against Protoss, be wary of a Dark Templar rush, even if you have Missile Turrets as detectors, they can still fall prey to the high attack damage of the Dark Templar. Be sure to have lots of them around your base if you think the enemy will DT rush, and kill them before they kill the Turrets, or you'll probably lose.

SumacWarrior

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I prefer a bunkerless defense... usually i only build 1 bunker to hold off a rush, but later i use tanks scvs, marines and medics. My offense is just my defense moving further and further out...

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It all depends on your strat. I've thrown some rush-loving newbs off by building rush, but preparing long-term. It's amazing what that will do. I've had about 5-6 dropships preped filled with marines, medics, and firebats ready to move out with 4-5 wraiths and another 2-3 dropships with goliaths and siege takes stuffed in them. Now...don't take this against an expert, in all likelyhood. They might be thrown off at first, especially if they think your defense is enough to take out their base. Just make sure to have a comsat ready to check out your opponents strat and another one ready to either move or build a silo. I've had fun that way, a little too much maybe...

Savenor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Counter with Wraiths and distract with Firebats. Keep your more valuable units (Tanks, Goliaths) a bit farther off. Multiple Irradiate from Science Vessels can quickly take off the Ultralisk's life. I haven't tried this, but Spider Mines may be effective against Ultralisks, as long as you have some Firebats to keep the beasts occupied, the Mines should do the rest. Defend your buildings at all cost, because Terrans cannot effectively kill a horde of Ultralisks very quickly.

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
the best defense is a good offense! keep em busy and they'll be forced to spend precious cash to defend, while you are expanding all over the place and teching like mad.

but..i don't like ultras..at all...they're like bounty, but with tanks; they just soak em up like a fricken paper towel! uh..i personally would have bc's if it's that late game..i mean, you have to tech fairly high for a strong ultra.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
another nice strat is to build supply depots in front of ur bunkers and right behind it is tanks. the ultra would have to destory the depots first before beignable to attack he bunks and tanks. have a ew scv nearby to repair the depots so that the enmy would have a hard time desotring them

TossEater911

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
just a few tanks... good deal of bunkers the ones on the front line havve 2 firebats and 2 marines) dont just rely on missle turrents and tanks.. the high temps take the tanks and then the dark go for the turrents

((Apocolypse))

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You guys are funny, 80 seige tanks?! Definatly money mappers... but anyways, never, I repeat NEVER, get seige tanks in front of your bunkers then place tanks behind your bunkers. You become extremely suceptable to just about anything. If playing another Terran, the have the range advantage against you with their tanks, as long as they arn't a newb. All they have to do is simply mode up with a good deal of distance between your depots and BOOM! then when they take out the line of depots, they start on your bunkers (concidering they have already done splatter damage to them). Then, when blowing away your bunkers, they deal splatter to your tanks, and meanwhile, your tanks STILL CAN'T TOUCH THEM! So basicaly, your screwed unless you know what your doing. Another nice little way to own that defence would be to range lurker your patheic excuse for defense. Now if your decent, hopefully you'd have irridate, but concidering this is a money map, they probally have 12-18 lurkers up your ass, making this almost useless unless he is a total newb and clumped up his lurkers. Yet another way you can get screwed is if a smart Protoss sees your doing that shit with a scout and simp,y rushes for goons with range upgrade (This will be before you have tanks up, concidering they are good enough to know this strategy). Now not only will these goons own your depots with the range upgrade, but they can also out-range your bunkers! Double screwed! Now please don't come whining to me saying, "But they won't have anti-air when they attack you!" I've got one thing to say to you: shut up! Either it will be earlier then you get wraiths or it will be late enough for them to bring devourers or just plain old hydralisks. My solution: Use the oldest quote in the book,"A good offence is a good defence." Don't depend on a bunch of buildings to bail you out, simply use units!Now I'm ot discouraging the use of turrets, bunkers, or early blocking. Turrets are great for anti-air along side tanks and are even better for moding up cliffs on Lost Temple. Bunkers are good for setting up offensive "safe zones" and are even better for stopping early rushes. But please people, if you get anything out of this post, take with you the idea that offensive and defensive units are one in the same. I hope you will take this idea to the drawing board (Playing it out). I recomend putting tanks and turrets mixed in together in no order along with some M&M, and maybe a bunker or two. And finally, always have a science vessel for safe measure as they are great against both your fellow Terran, a Protoss, or a Zerg (Defense Matrix for your own tanks against their tanks, EMP against Protoss, and irridate against Zerg). Enjoy!

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i use offense as defense, but terrans best offense is bunkers/tanks/goliaths and scvs to repair and build turrets and bunkers. i usually set up outside an enemy outposet then hold still near bunker and turrets while tanks shell the enemy base or defense or army/ then once the obstacle is destroyed you can move forward and build a new bunker/turret setup. always use your tanks as artillery and remember to keep other units away from the tanks fire.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
o and apo u messed it up the book says "a good defence is mostly a god offense" so yeah just to correct u

forgotmypasswd

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
what are you defending against? It depends what you are fighting. (scout)

Example, if you are going to be attacked by zerg early, get firebats. They are deadly against lings, and tanks for hydras.

If you are expecting an air attack vs zerg, have turrents but dont rely on them, get wraiths. A mix of wraiths and Golioths are deadly vs zerg. Always kill overlord first. Feel the noob slaughter if he doesnt bring one, hehe.