Whatever happend to the 'dual shock' case?

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
wasnt there a case against sony for the use of dual shock controllers? whatever happend to it?

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
They did not develop the Dual Shock system, hence the lawsuit. They no longer can even produce it, however, without paying high royalties.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Sony lost. Sony lost again. I heard they're going to try another angle, but they'll lose that too. Boneheads.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
If I recall my law correctly (which may well be true XD as it's not something I know much about), I didn't think Sony could try an appeal again. Of course, it is a civil case versus a criminal/federal case...

I know the people who made Dual Shock (can't recall company name at the moment) went after Microsoft, too. I've heard two stories concerning that one. I've heard that Microsoft bought out the company, and I've heard that Microsoft simply paid off the company and promised to pay royalties for continued use... Sony seems to be refusing to do either :rolleyes That is, pay off and royalties ;)

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute...Duel Shock...now are we taking the vibrating function or just the concept or what? *reads some* Ok, so the court order was for them to either pay royalties, or stop production of PS2 games/controllers/systems that utilized this feature. Ok, so why isn't Nintendo getting sued then? See, I always thought it was Nin sueing Sony cuz they came up with the rumble feature first.

COTA-GoD

Member!
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Shock#Vibration_function_suit

In March 2005, Sony and Microsoft were sued by force-feedback company Immersion for patent infringement for the use of vibration functions in their controllers. While Microsoft settled out of court, purchasing a 10% share in the company, Sony continued to defend the case. Sony lost and was required to pay considerable royalties to Immersion and suspend the sale of the controllers—including all PlayStation and PlayStation 2 console packages containing them. Sony plans on appealing this decision and will be able to sell its products until the appeal has been processed.

amazing what 14 seconds of google can give you.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
The appeal was denied

March 14th 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30269
In September of 2004, Sony lost a jury trial and was ordered to pay US$82 million in damages. An appeal in 2005 increased the amount of damages to $91 million.

Undeterred, Sony claimed that Immersion was holding back evidence and requested that the original verdict be tossed out. It said that the inventions of Craig Thorner, who worked for Immersion, were not properly disclosed to its legal team.
Sony still has not paid out and its last chance will be a US Court of Appeal hearing later this according to Ars Technica. µ

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Biske said:
Wait a minute...Duel Shock...now are we taking the vibrating function or just the concept or what? *reads some* Ok, so the court order was for them to either pay royalties, or stop production of PS2 games/controllers/systems that utilized this feature. Ok, so why isn't Nintendo getting sued then? See, I always thought it was Nin sueing Sony cuz they came up with the rumble feature first.
No. Nintendo was not and will not be sued. They first came up with the rumble feature, but, as was pointed out, Immersion was the name of another company with a rumble feature. The approach, I found out, was actually what differentiated them. As Nintendo is the original founder of the rumble feature, there's no grounds for Immersion to sue.

EDIT:
On the Nintendo suing Sony note, that actually begs the question: Which one?

Nintendo and Sony may be on good terms, but that's because they know how to keep personal personal and buisness buisness (The presidents of either company actually have lunches together o_O; That was interesting news to read.). I've read two very different articles concerning Nintendo suing Sony. One is old and refers back to when Nintendo and Sony were partnering up to make the Nintendo PlayStation (an add-on to, according to divergent accounts, either the SNES or N64). Words were said ( XD isn't that how it always goes?), and Sony decided to make their own system rather than an add on. Clever marketing ensured that there were no copyright infringements. Sony would release the Play Station. The space made all the difference o_O; However, they announced the Sony Play Station and advertised and released the Sony PlayStation. I'm not sure when exactly, I think it was after PS2 launch but before PSP launch, but Nintendo sued Sony for copyright infringement. Nintendo won, and Sony ended up having to pay royalties to Nintendo for every PlayStation product sold (that's PSx, PS2, and PSP with possiblity of PS3 o_O; ). From what I've heard, Nintendo opened Retro Studios (new home of Metroid) with Sony's payments.

The second, however, is more akin to the Immersion lawsuit. Apparently, Sony copied proprietary hardware from the Revolution for usin in the PS3 controller o_O; Do not even ask me how they managed that one as I have yet to even begin to understand where this bit of information came from.

My source? Limited Google searches and Game(Spot/Stop) <-- I can never remember what the site name is =/
I also had to interpret multple sites to get certain facts ironed out.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Nintendo Developed thier own style rumble pack, Sony and microsoft simply lifted existing hardware. and mgiht i say (while i havent tried rumble on the DS) the N64 rumble pack is the only good rumble pack ever made. GC? PS2? Thier shit rumble features, you barely feel it. N64 made u feel it.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I also don't miss the rumble feature when I turn it off XD I love the Wavebird (NGC) controller, and it doesn't have rumble :p I just wish I could turn it off in certain games (like Grandia -_-; ).

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
bamthedoc said:
From what I've heard, Nintendo opened Retro Studios (new home of Metroid) with Sony's payments.
That is freaking hilarious.

pan said:
Sony lost a jury trial and was ordered to pay US$82 million in damages. An appeal in 2005 increased the amount of damages to $91 million.
That, too, is freaking hilarious.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
From what I heard, Retro Studios was opened from just the first of twenty payments from Sony. Nintendo, as it was put in an article, "gracioiusly" gave Sony twenty years to pay off the lawsuit. I think that is one lawsuit Sony actually didn't try to appeal o_O; Then again, I'm unsure how long ago this lawsuit was decided nor how many payments they are into it. I could oh so be wrong >_>;

There is a danger is appealing. You might get a different judge that, though beginning impartial, ends up deciding that the previous punishment was too low -_-;

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sony lost again. Maybe the reason for the boomerang ~_~

And again bam, can you show me some articles or news where Nintendo has sued Sony? Because i'm pretty sure Ninty hasn't filled a sucessful lawsuit on Sony even once...

And about that Nintendo/Sony partnership, Ninty stabbed Sony in the back by replacing Sony with Philips right when Sony was about to announce their joint project with Nintendo. Sony didn't just 'decide' to make their own system.

Just read this if you don't believe me.
The 9am CES announcment was a huge shock. Not only was it a complete surprise to the showgoers (Sony had only just the previous night been optimistically showing off the joint project), but it was seen by many in the Japanese community as a massive betrayal- a Japanese company snubbing another Japan-based company in favor of a European one was considered unthinkable in Japanese business.

Initially, Nintendo's abandonment of the joint project caused Sony to consider halting their research, but ultimately the company decided to use what they had developed so far and make it into a complete, stand alone console. This led to Nintendo filing a lawsuit claiming breach of contract and attempted, in U.S. federal court, to obtain an injunction against the release of the PlayStation, on the grounds that Nintendo owned the name. The federal judge presiding over the case denied the injunction. Thus, in October 1991, the first incarnation of the new Sony Playstation was revealed. As for the deal between Philips and Nintendo, it fell through as well. However, because of the deal, Philips was able to create games for its CD-i computer based on Nintendo licenses. The games were terrible, and seen as another attempt by Philips to market the ill-fated computer.
:-\

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I've read completely conflicting reports (from yours), which is why I decided to be nice and use the word "decided" over "betrayal", to avoid arguements from fanboys. Obviously, that didn't work.

I found articles before, but you know how these search engines work. If you can't reproduce the exact same phrase(s), you can't get the same results. I can't reproduce the exact same phrase, so all I'm getting are discussionary forums.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
is this why a few years back sony sold new playstation units as psones? they should have done that to begin with. smart nintendo though, waiting to strike sony after they're well into the sputtering of the psx.