What is DotA?

guysensei

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you've played Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. I'm sure you've heard of DoTA, but perhaps you've never played it? Well trust me, it's worth a try.

DoTA stands for Defence of the Ancients, and is one of the most popular customized games for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. The basic idea is there are two teams of five players each and each player has the ability to either select, or receive randomly, a hero to play with, from a pool of over seventy hero's. With said hero, the goal is to level up, gain items to use against your enemies, and to destroy the opponent's base, all the while protecting their own from the enemy. There’s a huge list of items, and combinations of items can combine to make some very devastating weaponry. These weapons often add to the strength, agility, intelligence, and speed of the hero, but some of them also provide the hero who equips them with special abilities.

You have to own Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, along with the expansion (The Frozen thrown) and be able to access the battle.net servers (i.e. have a valid CD key) and as long as your computer can handle WarcraftIII fine (which if you have a decent computer, you won’t have a problem) and you’ll be able to play instantly.

To make the game more interesting, the game gives you a random hero to play with, and considering there are over seventy heroes you can play; it guarantees a very wide verity of gameplay. One round you might be an up close and personal melee fighter, while the next you will wind up being a spell caster, attacking from the back and lending support to your team of allies. on top of that, it’s possible to play games that will be setup so when you die, you re-spawn with a new random hero, meaning that you will have to adjust your playing tactics on the fly, and be ready for anything.

There’s a reason this game is so popular, it floods the Warcraft channels, everyone loves to play it, and the reason is that it is simply the best, a lot of work has gone into creating a game of this magnitude, and it has paid off well, everyone’s heard of it, and it's the most popular custom game for Warcraft, so if you haven't checked it out, do so as soon as possible, you won’t regret it.