Warcraft 3: The Undead Heros: Unite and Destroy

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
(Sticky this Rage, or any other Mod who reads this part please.)
Warcraft 3: The Undead Heros: Unite and Destroy

I've played the Undead ever since I bought Warcraft 3, and I've seen alot of people play them, and not use them as affectivly as they should, so I bestowed it upon myself to help all players of the Undead through my writing ability, and here it is, enjoy.

NOTE: Important facts will be easy to identify thru color coding.

• Death Knight
The Death Knight is the strongest of all 3 WC3 Original Heros, and plus the only one that possess a healing ability. Here are some facts, about the Death Knight:
  • Only Undead unit that has a Healing Ability.
  • 1 of 2 Undead Heros to have an Aura.
  • He's the Fastest Hero for the Undead.
  • He has the strongest attack and defence of the Original 3.
As you can see, the Death Knight is a Prime Choice, and usuelly, is my first pick. The Death Knight as mentioned, is the only unit the Undead have that can heal your units off the Blight, making him a great starting Hero for creeping, and later, great for keeping your other two Heros alive in tight situations.

With the use of his Aura, Unholy Aura, your immediate surrounding friendlies get a boost in:
  • Rejuvenating Abilities
  • Speed
This comes in handy when combined with the Dreadlords Aura, which when added with 12 Ghouls, makes a killer army.

His Death Pact is his sort of, re-energizing spell, helping him to stay alive when in the middle of combat. Which reminds me, in no way are the Undead Heros the most durable Heros in the game, so keep them healthy, and when they start turning yellow, get them outta of focus firing range.

This puppies Ultimate isn't so much as a power boost, but more of a phsycological advantage. Even if you raise only Ghouls and Archers, your enemy see's more of you, and may, out of fear, retreat.

As stated, the Death Knight becomes your best friend when your plan is to go mass Ghouls, or mass anything really. If you do mass Ghouls, try and keep your Death Knight in the middle of the Ghoul army so his Aura gets to everybody, but leave a back door open in case he needs to be retired from the fight.

Another Tool that the Death Knight is used for, is the dreaded, UD Hero Sniping, or as I like to call it, The Undead Uber Death Cannon. The Death Knight plays a pivotal role in this tactic. As most of you all know, the little green skull he shoots to heal, can also do damage! At it's final level, it can do 300 damage points, not too shabby!

• The Dreadlord
The Dreadlords hail from the Twisting Nether, home of the Buring Legion. Sent by Kil'Jaeden to watch over Ner'zhul and report anything he did, the Dreadlords have claimed a reputation for being the epitomy of evil, and never showing any mercy. Here are some Facts on them:
  • They are the second UD Heros to have an Aura that heals units.
  • He's the all-round-Hero for the Undead.
  • They are the second strongest.
  • They are the 'Renassaince Hero' of the UD(explanation later).
This Undead Hero is a fav of mine, and of many Undead Players alike. One reason is his Aura. His Aura, namely the Vampiric Aura, gives all nearby Friendlies the ability to gain a fraction of health from their opponents 'blood', every time they strike them. This makes the Dreadlord a worthy addition to any 3 player, 4 player, or heck, any multiplayer team game. This also makes the Dreadlord a valuable target by your foes, because of this, it is advised that you keep a close eye on him, because his health can drop rapidly when even under a small focus fire.

As pointed out, the Dreadlord is also the Renassaince Hero for the Undead, meaning, he's a Jack of all trades, he as a skill for just about anything that could happen in battle. Sleep, a annoying skill for the enemy, sends it's target to...well...sleep! But beware, most players know that you can get out of this by slapping their unit, making him active again, so I'd advise to use it only when your enemies Hero is fleeing, or his causing you great pains. Another ability of his is Carrion Swarm. Great for hurting a mass group of units, Carrion Swarm is a great unit killer, and lets not forget it's role in the Uber Hero Cannon. His Ultimate is a summonable unit, but great for taking out that back row of casters that's been annoying you, so keep that in mind!

• The Lich
These monkies are old Orc mages that were transformed into hideous, twisted beings by Kil'Jaeden when Ner'zhul disobeyed him. Now servents of Ner'zhul, these once Orcish wizards now wield the element of Frost, and along with their own Necromantic powers, prove strong indeed. Here are some facts:
  • They are the Weakest of the 3 Original Heros
  • They possess great magical powers.
  • They are the second fastest of the three.
  • They wield the greatest base killer in the entire game.
  • They have the strongest role in the UD Uber Hero Cannon.
The Lich is the fav of alot of UD players out there, heck, I can't dissagree, they are pretty dang cool, and although weak, possess the strongest attack abilites of the bunch. Frost Nova is an incrediblly strong attack. First, it deals 150 Frost damage, then it deals up to 150 Nova damage, is also a Splash attack, and in addition it slows every unit within range to a mere crawl! His Frost Armour, although not especially strong, adds 1-3 amour points to the target, and slows the attack of anything that hits it. His Ultimate, Death and Decay, is the most powerful mass attack in the game! Every second it is in use, it takes away 2 percent of that buildings health, and lasts for what, 1 minute?! That's alot!

The Lich is not the strongest Hero though, so I can not stress enough to keep him out of the battle. Send him in the do Frost Nova 2 times and Frost Armour a few units, then take him out! Even at a high level, he only makes a cap of about 900 health.

• The Crypt Lord
This enlarged mutant twist between a Crypt fiend and a Ghoul is actuelly one of the long lost members of the Nerubian Spider Race that was destroyed my Ner'Zhul years ago. Although this over grown roach is the first Hero to look large enough to be named a Tank, you'll soon find out that he's not as strong as you'd have hoped.
  • He has a move that rivals Thunder Clap.
  • He is the slowest of the four Heros.
  • Only unit capable of giving permenant servailence thru use of it's Carrion.
  • Has a passive attack that's like the DH's Immolation.
The first move o the Crypt Lord as listed rivals that of the known Ghoul Killer, Thunder Clap, imployed by the Mountain King. When Impale is used, it sends the units in the area of affect into the air, and when they land it stuns them for a few seconds. While not overly strong, this move would proove to be useful when your CL is low on health, and is being chased by a small troop.
His Passive Ability, Spiked Carapace, is much like that of the Demon Hunter's Immolation. When an enemy unit hits the Crypt Lord, a small fraction of the damage is sent back to the unit. Not only does it return damage, it boosts the armor of the Lord quite a bit, making this ability one to get at least for the 1st level.
The Crypt Lord also has a move that can be placed on auto cast. Carrion Beetles is a move kinda like Raise Skeleton as in it chooses a corpes and generates 1 beetle from it to go and reek havoc. 5 can be controlled max. Each level this is upgraded strengthens the beetles HP and AP, making this ability nice to have when you need a little push to make it through a battle.
His Ultimate is an interesting one. Every 0.2 seconds 1 of 20 Locusts is sent out to "eat" apart of a nearby enemy and bring it back to the Crypt Lord, restoring it slowly and healing any damage. Not a bad Ultimate I must say.

• The Uber Hero Cannon
This is the name I've given to the Undead's greatest ability, the Hero Snipe Technique. Dreaded, and feared on many a battlefield, when used it can be potentially devistating to the enemy forces. Here's how it's done for you who have never heard of it before:
  1. You obtain all three Undead Heros.
  2. You level up Death Coil, Carrion Swarm, and Frost Nova.
  3. You Hot Key your Heros to 1(DK), 2(DL), and 3(Lich).(for me)
  4. When your opponents Hero shows up, quickly press '1', 'C', aim to Hero, shoot, then '2', 'S', aim to Hero, shoot, then '3', 'N', aim and shoot.
    [/list=1]
    When done 2-3 times, their Hero's dead, your in the lead, and you now control the map, so make good use of it!

Hope this helps all you that are new to Warcraft 3, and those of you who just need to be reminded of what these Heros can do! And on your way out, don't forget to PM Rage Winterchill and tell him thanks, cause if it wasn't for him, I would never have learned about the Undead Hero Snipe Technique, or at least wouldn't have know it for a longer time, so thanks goes to Rage Winterchill, Pan for his tales of Undead battles, Swooper for his helping attitude, and all the other Undead players out there!

This is for you!

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Might i remind you that the obesiden statue does a good job in healing units off of blight, so the DK isn't the only means of restoring health

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
You might write that the DL is also the hero with the most Intelligence. At least I think it is.

Great document, Chibi.

Biske

Reaction score
Forgot 'bout that statue...I thought that the Lich would have more intelligence, since he's a caster?

EDIT: Oh, and I would have added alot more people to my "people I'd like to thank list" like you x42, but I was right at the 1000 limit, actuelly it was exactly 999!

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Oh crap, yeah it was, looking at the wrong hero.....

It's the Undead heroes that are the most Intelligent though. They deal some really heavy damage as well. The Lich I think deals 1 less damage than the DK at level 10. Something you never thought of.....

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Triple hero is much better with DK DL and CL. Think about it, coil nova and impale. much more effective since it also stns the hero so you can get in close and finish it off. Replace the DL with the CL.

Biske

Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering about incorperating the CL into that mix.

RageWinterchill

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Going by first impressions alone for TFT, this is what I've found (buying it soon :D).

DK is still the starter. I thought maybe the CL could do some solo creeping, which he can, but its just not as effective as using the plain ol' DK. Plus with the lower costs, he can get started earlier while speeding up your build.

CL is a bit like the TC: a secondary. Carrion Scarabs are nice, but just not quite what I was anticipating for creeping. I prefer having to spend points in an Impale/Spikes/Impale/Spikes/Impale/LS manner, so I actually feel like I get my money's worth outta him. He's a damn big hero, but at least he's pretty damn tough.

The Undead Triple Heroes remain fun to mix and match, but, contrary to what I'd hoped for, the DK has to be in there somewhere. I tried going Crowd Control once (CL/DL/Lich) but it just wasn't good enough. Even with the impressive healing by the Obsidian Statues, it just wasn't enough to save a hero from focus fire. The retro Triple Hero still works, but the TFT Triple Heroes are much more fun with a giant bug in there. Triple Strength was fun, and a dual aura CL with Obsidian Statues around takes a while to bring down, especially since the DK is still around to heal. I think the combo I had the most success with was DK/CL/Lich. I used it with Fiends, and it's quite nice, especially since there's a REAL tanker for the Fiends up front, in addition to the healing medic (also note that Pact is the only spell in the game that can directly heal the hero, in a semi-Death Coil/Holy Light style fashion).

So yeah, that's just my first impressions. Maybe when I can actually tear myself away from Ragnarok Online and buy my damn TFT, I can be a bit more detailed.

Biske

Reaction score
RAGE YOUR BACK!!!! YOUR BACK!!!!.......where were you? it's been...cold....without your posts here....

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I don't know but by the looks of it we won't be needing the DL anymore with Statues popping out and easier way for Undead to break into the barrier of battle. I do still think that the DK remains needed whatever the cause though. My friend said that the Undead seem to lack the firepower mid-early game unlike previously when going Frenzied Ghouls, but I don't know about Fiends. 'cos we'll meet more HH/Archers early now Undead need decent offensive, something the DL seems to lack. I don't like d***ing the DL, but I find that true.

The healing abilities don't seem to change much with Statues vs the DL, but with Statues you probably won't need them, and with Unholy morphed Destroyers it could well change that.

Shizo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
isnt the correct nuking frost nova, impale, death coil, and not impale death coil, carrion swarm?

i mean, hell, frost nova slows, and hits additional units, all carrion swarm does is hits, frost nova slows, and we all know effective slowing is.