Viz's Fire/Cold Sorc Guide

c9h13no3

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
1.10 Fire//Cold Meph Sorc Guide

Submitted by VizjereiMage

I'm writing this for a non ladder sorc..(because by now tons of people have the right gear on ladder anyways).

Also I am not basing this on uber rich bastards so that ladder people can use the guide too..its gonna be a skullder sorc.

STATS

Strength - 93
93 strength will do you fine. Skullders is 97 and Travs are 95.
Once you have a shako on you will ned 93 str for travs bacause of the +2 all attributes. Travs give 10 to strength taking you to 105 strength.

Dexterity - Base or 75
Leave this at base unless you plan on using wizardspike, in which case you put 75 points into dex.

Energy - 50
Most people leave this at base because of the gear they get adds to mana.
I say put 50 or so points into energy that way you for sure will not run out of mana.

Vitality - Rest of points
You want as much life as possible so crank all your points after getting the others set into here.

I usually even out my stats..getting strength up to 50 or so then lots into energy and vitality then working on them evenly.

Skills

Max Firebolt
Firebolt is a synergy to fireball, which will be one of your main skills.

Max Fireball
Fireball maxed with fire mastery and firebolt maxed will give you a good amount of damage ranging from 1k-3k depending on gear.

Max Fire Mastery
Adds extra fire damage..simply..nuff said.

Max Frozen Orb
Frozen Orb is going to be your cold skill backup main attack for fire immunes.

1 Warmth
After wearing all of your gear your warmth will jump in points thus saving you skill points.

1 Static Field
Most beneficial skill in a sorceress' use.

1 Armors/Tele
Most people commonly use energy shield, teleport, shiver armor, and thunderstorm. Well TS is ruled out cuz ur not maxing light mast..I suggest energy shield..its beneficial in many cases..tele gets you around fast in durance, and shiver armor shields you from taking damage.

Rest Pre-Reqs/Cold Mast
There are 8 or so pre-reqs in all. Cold mast helps a lot too.

For skills I usually max one skill until I can do the next, then max that skill until the next, and so on.. eventually evening them out.

GEAR

This will be based on a skullders armor setup.

Armor - Skullders Ire w/ PTopaz
Skullders is one of the best mf armors to use. +1 skills and MF per lvl.

Helm - Shako w/ Ber rune
Shako is by far the best helm for a sorc..MF or not.
It gives +2 skills +2 all attributes and tons of life and mana..not to mention 10% DR.
Ber adds to that DR % ;)

Gloves - Frostburns, Magefists, or Chance Guards
Chance Guards For Good MF. Magefists For Faster Cast Rate or Frostburns for mana regen.

Belt - Glooms Trap
Increase Maximum Mana 15%, Regenerate Mana 15%, and +15 To Vitality..you can't beat it.

Boots - War Travs
MF, Vitality, FRW, and Strength..very good boots for a sorc..if you dont want to use travs, I suggest silkweaves for the mana.

Rings - Dual SoJ's
+1 Skills, Increase Maximum Mana 25%, and +20 To Mana by far the best legit ring for an mf sorc.

Amulet - Maras Kaleidescope or rare/crafted caster ammy
Maras for resists and skills..other two are good and very beneficial also.

Weapon -Wizard Spike w/ Resist Jewel - Occulus w/ Ist on Switch
Wizardspike offers excellent resists, cast rate, and mana.
Occulus has good mf..thus used for switch.

Both Excellent, Your Choice.

Shield - Stormshield w/ Ist
Good Resists and 35% DR..Can't beat it.

HOW AND WHERE TO MF

Mephisto
Mephisto is a good all around monster to MF off of.
When going for things such as Stormsheilds, Occys,Shakos,Etc. He Is One Of The Best. Although Not Best For 1.10 Items.

How To Mf Off Of Meph
Mf'ing off of meph is quite simple.
Once you get to him you should do the following:
1. Static 10 times
2. Frozen Orb On Left, Teleport On Right..Orb Him And Tele To Dodge Attacks.
3. You Kill Him!
or
1. Static 10 times
2.Orb On Left, Fireball On Right..Orb him to slow him and fireball him to deal great ammounts of damage..do these consistantly together.

Eldritch
Eldritch has proven to give very nice drops in hell.
I suggest doing him for quick Mfing and quick kills..he usually is cold immune..so use fireball.

How To Mf Off Of Eldritch
Basically
1. Static 10 times
2. Fireball Until he dies

Baal
Baal has the best drops in the game (IMHO).
With 0% MF he can still drop good items quite easily..and usually does.

How To Mf Off Of Baal
This is a bit tricky.
1. Kill all his god forsaken minnions -_-;
2. Static his ass 10 times
3. Orb Him And Fireball Him..Teleporting In Between Attacks
4. Finish Him Off With A Good Fireball

For All Bosses You Want To Weapon Switch At The Last Moment RIGHT Before They Die.

This guide was meant to be made for those of you fortunate enough to have good gear on ladder and for those of you making sorcs on non ladder.

Of course, non ladder sorcs can get WAY better gear..

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
This needs a major update, so I unstuck it and am gonna refurbish it sometime.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
It was in the stickied FAQ thread. I split it.

Kao

Drives an Evo IX ;)
Reaction score
WOW, you REALLY need to re-work that whole guide, hell, more mf = better drops, and staying alive smaying amive. Go resists, and you won't need too much life for Meph. For Pindle, you need 75% block if anything.

Maybe I should write a small mf guide ;)

c9h13no3

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I agree. I rushed it up, hoping that it would clear up some of the obvious questions that were plaguing the board about MF sorcs and such. But now it's defin8ly time for a new one.

And secondly, I would go for less MF, and more kill speed. As bad as diminishing returns are on MF, you can get 300% VERY easily without sacrificing kill speed. Items like War Travs add nothing a sorc could use besides the few menial stats and some MF. A sorc would be much better off using items that work with her class, such as some caster or rare boots with MF, or hell, just some random 30 resist///30 MF magical boots would be better.

c9h13no3

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Something to consider would be Tal's Set. Analysis below:

Tal's Set Totals:
50% FC
199 Mana
357 Life
+2 To mastries
+6 to all skills
-15% Fire Enemy Fire Res
+15% Cold Damage
65% Res All
40 FR
40 CR
73 LR
233% MF
37% Dmg 2 Mana
50% FHR

vs. your gear:

+8 to all skills
206% MF
179.5 Life
171.5 Mana
10% DR
+1 to fire skills
50% FC
40% Mana Regen
30 Life
15% Max Mana
45% Res All

Now if we cancel out what they both have in common, we get:

Tal's Totals:
27.5 Mana
129.5 Life
+2 To mastries
-15% Fire Enemy Fire Res
+15% Cold Damage
20% Res All
40 FR
40 CR
73 LR
27% MF
37% Dmg 2 Mana
50% FHR

Gear Totals:
+2 to all skills
10% DR
+1 to fire skills
40% Mana Regen
15% Max Mana

So as you can see, the Tal's build gives a whopping more life, and resists. It also provides 27% more MF, and the mana additions are about equal. The Uniques do have more plus to skills but Tal's set has the 15% Cold Damage, -15% Enemy Fire Res, and +2 to all masteries, so they're about even in the damage department as well. Only thing that the uniques have going for them is 10% DR, but you would have to have 1295 life on a Sorc to make that equal to the massive amount of life you've gained from the Tal's Set. And a life cushion is always better than the equivalent DR because it can be used against elemental attacks as well.

Basically, Tal's is probably superior to a pile of Uniques. And you should probably give it a look when making your guide.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
I unstickied it because I knew of all of these mistakes guys..

Keep in mind that I wrote this in the beginning of 1.10 ladder. I had no idea how well it would do, I was just going off of basic knowledge etc. Now that I've played 1.10 ladder, I see all of my mistakes.