Vista And D2

TopGun

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Heres the deal....

Upon installation of Diablo 2, on my windows vista HP laptop, I had a few problems getting it installed at first, and it tried to tell me that it was installed incorrectly multiple times. I reinstalled it over and over, and I got the same thing....

It DOES work on Vista, but when I try starting it up, it takes at least 2-5 minutes to start the game.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Shouldnt be a ram/processor problem at all.. lol

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Always run Diablo II in windows mode (Shortcut -> Properties -> Target -> add -w to end of string). Lags less, and the only thing that Direct3D offers is Perspective, which just eats framerate.

I run 1.09D, 1.10 and 1.11b on this PC (have 2 mods and Vanilla D2 installed) and all of them run at 60+ FPS. I own Vista Home Premium.

RAM/Processor shouldnt be a problem. Unless your PC isnt new and you ugpraded vista on something that ran XP. Then you might have performance problems.

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
Vista does suck..

I'm guessing changing the windows compatibility mode to XP might work. You shouldn't HAVE to run in window mode unless you want to. Personally, I hate window mode. Fullscreen = <3.

And heck, I ran diablo on my computer with 256mb of ram with almost no lag. So you shouldn't have a problem.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Windows Mode is great. Because if you have something like a maphack or something in the background, then you dont have to alt tab out to run it. Plus, it doesnt eat framerate when you are running Direct3D components.

Besides, you can still run direct3d on a window by force if you use the -d3d flag on your Shortcut's target.

Also, you may need to run some things in Administrator Mode.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
How about lets give him a solution that DOESNT involve reformatting and changing an OS.

L

Laharl

Not my fault he got ripped off in the OS department. No reason at all to have vista, especially since it's going to be gone soon.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
It will be 4-5 years before the OS is discontinued. And we do not know the outcome of Windows 7.

The only maphack Vista has problems with is Stings. C3PO and Mousepad work fine, but those two are detectable online because of thier frequencies.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Not my fault he got ripped off in the OS department. No reason at all to have vista, especially since it's going to be gone soon.
what are they going to replace it with? cause windows XP goes off shelfs June 16th-ish

L

Laharl

I'd replace it with XP all the same. It's easy to get a pirated version, and I'd be willing to help 'em out if a legit version is unavailable.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
what are they going to replace it with? cause windows XP goes off shelfs June 16th-ish
Windows 7 in 2010. It will be discontinued from Windows Update roughly in the 2012 region.

Laharl said:
I'd replace it with XP all the same. It's easy to get a pirated version, and I'd be willing to help 'em out if a legit version is unavailable.
Pirated versions may not install updates properly.

andrewexd

Member!
Reaction score
Everytime I try to open Diablo it says to inser the disk.. I run as administrator and I downloaded the patch, any ideas ?

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Is your disk the real one? Or is it severly damaged in any way?