Uses for ultralisks

L

Laharl

Are there REALLY any good uses for ultralisks? I mean apart from wasting minerals/gas.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Heavy tanks. I usually send in a couple with ranged support to divert the attention. Since they're very meaty when fully upgraded ( 400 Life, 6 Armor, and very fast for a unit their size) they can direct attention and let my hydralisks do some real damage. I also use them to finish off peoples bases because it's just cool if you do it that way. :D

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
Ultralisks are awesome with Zerglings. The Zerglings do huge amounts of damage, but the Ultralisks are higher priority attack units. That emans they'll soak up damage from the enemy as Zerglings decimate the enemy base. They work best to soak up damage, usually they aren't worth spending a lot on, but sometimes they can be incredibly useful for a Zerg player.

L

Laharl

Hmmm. I see. My biggest problem is their lack of air killing abilities, and their relative cost - and low damage. But I see your points.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ummm ultralisks rule late game, in ZVP and ZVT. If you have enough minerals to support ultra production late game, you've won. Ultra/ling is THE force ZVP because their armor crushes lots and lings beat down dragoons, so only archs and dts, which are gas heavy, can beat them, and ZVT they dominate marines forces. They own.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
The only way to counter Ultralisks for Terran is:
Fully Upgraded Marines
(not really a counter but Terran got no choice to make them anyway)
and Science Vessels.

Usually, SK Terran is the way to go.
Cheap, and Effective vs. HiveTech units.

Ultras armor, hp, and atk dmg just own... and their cooldown time, its nasty.

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
Yes their extra armor in Brood War is a great asset. If your opponent is going with mostly ground which happens more often than not versus Zerg due to Scourge, Devourers, and Plague, the Ultralisk surviving from a lot of damage is incredibly useful. A large squad of Marines with Stim Pack and Medics that would decimate a swarm of Zerglings can go down quite easily to a pack of Ultralisk with Zerglings; or as ArtOfProtoss said, against Dragoons. Maelstrom and Psionic Storm can be very painful to both your Ultralisks and your Zerglings, so you may want to bring Queens with you if you can afford them and their respective technologies.

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
ultras, lings and a dark swarm.

That's why you try to kill zerg before the ultras come.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
a@... said:
The only way to counter Ultralisks for Terran is:
Fully Upgraded Marines
(not really a counter but Terran got no choice to make them anyway)
and Science Vessels.

Usually, SK Terran is the way to go.
Cheap, and Effective vs. HiveTech units.

Ultras armor, hp, and atk dmg just own... and their cooldown time, its nasty.
I think terran needs more tanks vs a hard ultra/ling strat. Irradiating ultras isn't such a great idea unless you can keep ultras away from your marines(while shooting at them from a distance), which can be done.

And to Snagg, that's easier said than done.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Ultra/Ling can walk over most ground forces and be protected from air by Dark Swarm, right? So the only thing that could harm them is other melee units...i'm thinking, Protoss Melee units could give that some trouble, but not in sheer numbers. X_x

Stupid attack speed upgrade makes it dseem like zerglings do 15 damage a second or something. :p

han_HAn_Han

Member!
Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
Ultra/Ling can walk over most ground forces and be protected from air by Dark Swarm, right? So the only thing that could harm them is other melee units...i'm thinking, Protoss Melee units could give that some trouble, but not in sheer numbers. X_x

Stupid attack speed upgrade makes it dseem like zerglings do 15 damage a second or something. :p
But what to do about the air?

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ultras are used to scare the living *beep* OUT OF NOOBS. haha

sorry for caps lock

and also had a little swarm and they own :)

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt that a few air units can kill huge groups of lings and ultras. By the time they're done with killing the ultras, the mass of lings will have annihliated the base. If the air finally killed the lings, there would be another mass of lings.

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
Protoss absolutely require Psionic Storm to deal with such a force, and the Terran should make good use of Irradiate, Defense Matrix, and a couple Tanks backed up by stim packed Marines drawing units out of the swarm. However, it seems likely that if well executed, a Zerg could easily exterminate at least a major part of a Terrans base due to their lack of a wide range splash damage spell.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well they could always have tanks in the back, bunkers filled with rines and bats, and a nice line of supply depots in front. that would hold the line for a while, but a dark swarm would suck with a litle plague and broodling

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
There pretty good, but a coupa psi-storm=ez to 12 of em :(.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
han_HAn_Han said:
But what to do about the air?
Dark Swarm and maybe bring some air support. But if you can run over their base with ground,. and they built mostly ground, their air units can't do much harm to you unless they're in bulk I think. ^^

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i'll assume that tanks and reavers are the best way to kill em.

for zerg, a lot of broodlings :)

ST

Premium Member
Reaction score
[glow=black]I like using Ultras with a nice complement of lings and a bunch of hydras to clean up the rest. A bit expensive, but very effective.[/glow]