Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Kwel mass ultralisks

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
the 12 unit thing made it harder to micro.. im kinda 50/50 on it yet.. i'd have to see how it feels overall to decide.

B~E

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The crest is too high, the arms to thick -it also got 4 arms- and the legs too smal. It doesnt look like it coudl realisticly run. ITs to cartoony. Seems like 3-D isnt working for the Zerg. The Overlord is laughable, the zerglin is an undicernable mesh of details, and the mutalisk looks pathetic.

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Its Sc2 Mother****er

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
The crest is too high, the arms to thick -it also got 4 arms- and the legs too smal. It doesnt look like it coudl realisticly run. ITs to cartoony. Seems like 3-D isnt working for the Zerg. The Overlord is laughable, the zerglin is an undicernable mesh of details, and the mutalisk looks pathetic.
While your whining is annoying and your complaints unfounded, I will point out for EVERyone that according to the boards:

" Also, I wanted to add that this is not the final version of the Ultralisk, as there is more visual work that has already been done on it, as well as new gameplay features we are testing on it."

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Great, the ultralisk looks like a crab with the curved swords Akama uses in Wc3. And the mass selection is now up to 24 units. Hooray.

B~E

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
While your whining is annoying and your complaints unfounded, I will point out for EVERyone that according to the boards:

" Also, I wanted to add that this is not the final version of the Ultralisk, as there is more visual work that has already been done on it, as well as new gameplay features we are testing on it."

Compared to warcraft, sarcraft is supposed to have a more realistic and gritty look. But they've hired warcraft's art director to do starcraft II, which explains why we have a more cartoonish look.

Also, warcraft's cartoonish look is merely an excuse for the fact that a 3-D engine cannot render realistic units because its just so difficult to work with polygones. Starcraft II is also suffering from this, as we can see.

So Karune can say whatever he want about units not being in their final version, but it is likely that we'll end up with something very similar to this, which is a clear departur from starcraft's traditional art.

So how much more founded do I need to be? Do you really want to argue that this new ultralisk is realistic-looking an work as well as the original?

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought there was a smell of Samwise amongst it. He did some concept art for the units in the gallery anyways.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Compared to warcraft, sarcraft is supposed to have a more realistic and gritty look.
Supposed to? When was this established. Oh right that entire argument that the game has to be smeared in sludge and nothing is ever "bad ass" enough to be "realistic or gritty" is based on the perception of blurry sprites in a 2 day game made 10 years ago.

Also, warcraft's cartoonish look is merely an excuse for the fact that a 3-D engine cannot render realistic units because its just so difficult to work with polygones. Starcraft II is also suffering from this, as we can see.
I'm pretty sure Warcraft got it's cartoony graphics from Warcraft II you know with it's bright colors and exaggerated features.

No Starcraft suffers from the fact the game isn't trying to be like Company of Heroes where each unit looks good, except no one plays the game because it sucks hard. Starcraft II doesn't have the greatest game engine in the world, but neither did Starcraft. I'd rather have a slightly technologicaly impaired engine that can support multiple players with a 200 unit cap and play with thousands of people over the internet, unlike newer games which have a handicapped unit count and no one plays.

It hasn't created anything close to being "cartoony", that is a problem with people having not enough to be angry or miserable about so they have to take it out on Starcraft II. Everyone also says the game is to bright and not gritty enough, but they must have Alzheimer's because take a carefully look at star craft, it is extremely bright. It oozes lots of colors.

So Karune can say whatever he want about units not being in their final version, but it is likely that we'll end up with something very similar to this, which is a clear departur from starcraft's traditional art.

So how much more founded do I need to be? Do you really want to argue that this new ultralisk is realistic-looking an work as well as the original?
well actually I was originally referring to the quote

"The crest is too high, the arms to thick -it also got 4 arms- and the legs too small"

But I forgot you're a professor of alien physiology.

B~E

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Except that nobody's got Alzheimer's, and I didnt made this argument out of anger or whatever. The fact is that SCII is looking more toward what war3 is because of the inherent limitations of a 3D engine, and it is effectively a departure from the original look. If you dont even want to admit that the original game went for a more realistic design, then there's nothing to do with you. You're useless. Even the designers at Blizzard commented on how Warcraft had a more cartoonish feel to it.

About the original ultralisk;

2 arms, 4 huge legs, and no crest at all. Your dumb comment about me being a professor of alien biology was pure trolling. You're wasting my time, you should go feel passionate about something else.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Maybe, just maybe, it's an evolved ultra?

B~E

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It didnt looked good in the picture. We'd have to wait and see how it moves in the animation. But I just cant imagine it run effectively with its punny legs and its huge useless crest.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Except that nobody's got Alzheimer's, and I didnt made this argument out of anger or whatever. The fact is that SCII is looking more toward what war3 is because of the inherent limitations of a 3D engine, and it is effectively a departure from the original look. If you dont even want to admit that the original game went for a more realistic design, then there's nothing to do with you. You're useless. Even the designers at Blizzard commented on how Warcraft had a more cartoonish feel to it.
If you are arguing conceptual design of characters than yes it is realistic and not "cartoony" but we are talking about in game units, and Starcraft "style" was very similar to how Warcraft II was in terms of "realism" in game perspectives. That being said Starcraft II is exactly like Warcraft III in the same way Starcraft was to Warcraft II.
Starcraft was bright, and completely unrealistic in scale and design in game.

About the original ultralisk;

2 arms, 4 huge legs, and no crest at all. Your dumb comment about me being a professor of alien biology was pure trolling. You're wasting my time, you should go feel passionate about something else.
1. Concept art for a game ten years ago.
2. Starcraft II is a different game (zomg you mean everything isn't the same!?)
3.Zerg are a race that evolves.

I think I've been pretty clear on why your statements are stupid, though you should have figured it out form my last post.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
The ultralisk doesn't have arms, they're tusks. Who gives a **** if it looks different? You honestly expected that nothing would change? It's been TEN years!

B~E

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
That being said Starcraft II is exactly like Warcraft III
Thank you.

in the same way Starcraft was to Warcraft II.
You're insane.

The only thing unrealistic about Starcraft is the size of units in relation to the buildings. Otherwise, Blizzard went for a more realistic feel compared to the warcraft universe. Compare the concept arts for the units, the portrait (especially the portraits), the amount of details in-game put in any individual units and in the environment, the coloration, everything you want. I'll also point out that starcraft is less cartoonish than warcraft 3.

1. Concept art for a game ten years ago.
2. Starcraft II is a different game (zomg you mean everything isn't the same!?)
3.Zerg are a race that evolves.
1- Doesnt take away anything from my argument; the new ultralisk is different and uglier, and the classic, canon 2D version worked better.
2- Yes, its a different game, that doesnt take anything from my original argument.
3- The fact that its a change doesnt automatically mean its a good change you f.ucktard. What sort of logic is this?!

I never complained about Starcraft II bringing in differences, I'm complaining about the differences not working well for the Zergs. Can you see the subtle nuance here? Got any other strawmen for me to take down?