Ultimate Router Help FAQ

stefan1212

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
this is about starcraft but it is the same problem i cant host games??

im not runing a router i dont think cause i only hav 1 comp ?

i click on cre8 in starcraft and i pick a popular map like fastest and 3v3 or something like that i left it on for 15 mins no one joined????

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
That is a definite firewall problem. Make sure several things are done before you try again:

1. Disable Norton Internet Security, or ANY firewalls that are running in the taskbar.
2. Disable Windows XP Firewall.

Go here to find out how:

http://www.battleforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26446

BahamutFLIP

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
OMFG I LOVE YOU!!!!!!! I was wondering all this time what port to set Bnet to! TIME TO GO HOST GAMES!!!

Z

Zukas

will diabling my router thingy to host games let viruses in? i recenlty had to pay 200 bucks to rid my comp of like 30 viruses. i dont wanna go through that again. i have a cable connection if that makes any dif with the latency.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zukas
will diabling my router thingy to host games let viruses in? i recenlty had to pay 200 bucks to rid my comp of like 30 viruses. i dont wanna go through that again. i have a cable connection if that makes any dif with the latency.
You are not disabling anything when you do this. REPEAT: You should not have to disable any software to get this to work.

However! You might have to "configure" that software to work with WC3. How you might go about doing that is beyond the scope of this guide.

Opening up ports on your router will not cause any security issues that I know of. BTW, viruses come from websites that YOU visit. Firewalls only block hackers from compromising your systems.

DRaKHNiR

Member!
Reaction score
Website
og.mud.pl
Originally posted by Aragorn7
Opening up ports on your router will not cause any security issues that I know of. BTW, viruses come from websites that YOU visit. Firewalls only block hackers from compromising your systems.
:) Isn't a hacker's attack a security issue? Generally I agree, but firewalls also block some type of trojans eg. NetBus, Prosiak, etc., that allow some malicious morons to eject your cds, move mouse, access file system and other stupid stuff.

Zukas: To avoid viruses from the web permanently disable activex, never install any autopoup addons/plugins/progs (usually dialers or network activity trackes/spies), always scan with antivir software all downloaded files before using them. Btw, $200 for 30 viruses is a god damn rip-off!!

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by DRaKHNiR
:) Isn't a hacker's attack a security issue? Generally I agree, but firewalls also block some type of trojans eg. NetBus, Prosiak, etc., that allow some malicious morons to eject your cds, move mouse, access file system and other stupid stuff.
When you are forwarding ports, you are NOT taking down your firewall. You are just opening up the doors that WC3 uses to communicate with other players on WC3. The firewall is still there, except with this enabled, the hackers would have to attack your computer via that port with the correct IP address. They have to know quite a bit of info about your specific computer to hack your computer even with a single port opened up.

DRaKHNiR

Member!
Reaction score
Website
og.mud.pl
When you are forwarding ports, you are NOT taking down your firewall. You are just opening up the doors that WC3 uses to communicate with other players on WC3. The firewall is still there, except with this enabled, the hackers would have to attack your computer via that port with the correct IP address. They have to know quite a bit of info about your specific computer to hack your computer even with a single port opened up.
Absolutely agree. :) But you can get a trojan via mail that uses the open ports to communicate with his supervisor, thus inform him about your security. :D

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by DRaKHNiR
Absolutely agree. :) But you can get a trojan via mail that uses the open ports to communicate with his supervisor, thus inform him about your security. :D
That is why you gotta be careful what you open up. ;)

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
It is possible you don't have a router then. Or your original settings have been changed.

usemapsettings

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I still cant host games...I have the following firewalls that i am aware of.... Mcafee personal firewall plus Wireless internet connection firewall and the d-link firewall. i have disabled all of them but i still cant host! HEEEELP

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
That is comlete OVERKILL. Uninstall one several of those. You only need one(1) firewall in any situation.

lonelyhomie2003

Member!
Reaction score
riight , you really beleive this noob?¿

Hmm....skymaster switch....switches shouldn't have firewalls in them. Unless yours is special. Could you include some more information?

Also, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the switch (preferrably by WWW) to figure out how.
this guy is a fake.. ive played him in warcraft before.. he claims he knows routers, he got that from battle.net, and they even said that it was wrong info down below it on the site, anf fixed it up a little... this guy is sh!t, he has no fvckin clue what hes talking about...lmfao... this is too funny. :wasted
:nooob

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Re: riight , you really beleive this noob?¿

Originally posted by lonelyhomie2003
this guy is a fake.. ive played him in warcraft before.. he claims he knows routers, he got that from battle.net, and they even said that it was wrong info down below it on the site, anf fixed it up a little... this guy is sh!t, he has no fvckin clue what hes talking about...lmfao... this is too funny. :wasted
:nooob
Well, think what you want. I didn't make this guide to scam people. I only made this guide to spread my current knowledge about routers. I noticed that many people were having trouble with them, and decided to make this guide. So far it has helped many people.

I would like you to prove that you know more than me. Thank you, that will be all for tonight.

lonelyhomie2003

Member!
Reaction score
Re: Re: riight , you really beleive this noob?¿

Well, think what you want. I didn't make this guide to scam people. I only made this guide to spread my current knowledge about routers. I noticed that many people were having trouble with them, and decided to make this guide. So far it has helped many people.

I would like you to prove that you know more than me. Thank you, that will be all for tonight.
ill prove it.. go to blizzard.nets webite and scam around for help on routers itll tell you.. nice ta know your tryin to help n not scam at least..